• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

3D printed FX Wildcat Mk III Mag Holders

Just thought I'd post this here for now, will be selling these from next week when the hardware arrives. May be useful for some folks.

Also selling Butt Hooks for the Mk 2/3 in the classified section.

Andy

IMG_0858313.1602121419.jpg
IMG_0859315.1602121419.jpg
IMG_0860317.1602121420.jpg
IMG_0861319.1602121420.jpg
IMG_0862321.1602121421.jpg
IMG_0863323.1602121421.jpg

Also selling Butt Hooks for the Mk 2/3 in the classified section.

Nice design, but I think they would be more practical if you rotated the keeper 90 degrees, so the mags are flush with the stock and not sticking out so much...

Martin,

Still in review, but early signs are this would be difficult due to the size of the mag, and interference with either the scope mount or air cylinder. The other issue is, unlike the previous WC magazine, this has no retention features to make use of other than the periphery. I'll continue to work on it though and see how else an improvement could be made, even if it just mounting at an angle. Also, a 90 degree flush mount would make it difficult to remove the magazine.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Maybe if you keep the same elevation but rotate the keeper and extend the part coming from the rail a bit, so the bottom arm of the keeper rests flat against the aircylinder.

Then put another keeper with a little spacing against the first, so you can store 2 magazines in the same space. Either have enough room between them to grab (pinch) either magazine to pull them out, or put a little "lip" on the end of the upper or lower arm so you can push up/down on it so the mag can slide/fall out unaided.

Hi Andy,

Maybe if you keep the same elevation but rotate the keeper and extend the part coming from the rail a bit, so the bottom arm of the keeper rests flat against the aircylinder.

Then put another keeper with a little spacing against the first, so you can store 2 magazines in the same space. Either have enough room between them to grab (pinch) either magazine to pull them out, or put a little "lip" on the end of the upper or lower arm so you can push up/down on it so the mag can slide/fall out unaided.

Martin, Thanks for the valuable input. I've been working from home today so have had a little time to think and work on this problem. I had decided what you had mentioned above, but with a twist of (no pun intended) rotating 90 degrees and have the supporting lug (enters through rail system) thickened out for air cylinder clearance, and also take off the one side wall and adding 3 ball lugs for added retention. It's on the printer right now, so lets see how this works out. It this does not work. I'll take a look at your double stacked option, but in this instance, I would definitely use up 2 of the slots in the rail for added stability.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Martin, Wimpanzee, see the modified version, I thank you both for your feedback. This still needs some clean up work and I'm awaiting the hardware from Amazon, but I think this now works in a more practical way.

Andy
IMG_0865328.1602247217.jpg
IMG_0866330.1602247218.jpg
IMG_0867332.1602247219.jpg
IMG_0868334.1602247219.jpg

Reactions: MartinT
I think a 3D’r ought to really look at the underside of the stock, right at the hook, and come up with a wrap around clamp on deal and have two mags capture that space underneath, laying flat against it. 

Or, reuse that rear pocket hole and fill it, like the previous mag holders did, but fill it for a place to anchor mag holders to, one at each side. 

Lastly, the best idea, I feel, is the way Jefferson State Air rifles did with the wildcat scope rails. They put a slip in channel that captured the ball bearing on the old style mags. The mags just snapped in there. I believe that’s how the Raptor guns are. I’ve talked with JSAR on revisiting that design again(they no longer make it. I was told they only made a few, and not enough folks knew about them to make them a big product mover. I’m one of the lucky ones with one each on both my MK2 cats). To design that, though, would be a machining effort, and not 3D.

I think a 3D’r ought to really look at the underside of the stock, right at the hook, and come up with a wrap around clamp on deal and have two mags capture that space underneath, laying flat against it. 

Or, reuse that rear pocket hole and fill it, like the previous mag holders did, but fill it for a place to anchor mag holders to, one at each side. 

Lastly, the best idea, I feel, is the way Jefferson State Air rifles did with the wildcat scope rails. They put a slip in channel that captured the ball bearing on the old style mags. The mags just snapped in there. I believe that’s how the Raptor guns are. I’ve talked with JSAR on revisiting that design again(they no longer make it. I was told they only made a few, and not enough folks knew about them to make them a big product mover. I’m one of the lucky ones with one each on both my MK2 cats). To design that, though, would be a machining effort, and not 3D.

Bigragu,

As I said in a previous note, real estate for these is prime because the mags are so much bigger. Where they are placed in the last design is not intrusive nor unsightly. Attached as the previous MK 2 versions did to the rail with a slide in bung but this version makes use of 2 of the slots. 

Andy