Diana Model 23

The Diana 23.
An excellent airgun for kids. Would have loved to have such a good rifle when a kid.
This model deserves a monographic thread!
Nice little gun of the past (but not the smallest Diana!).
See extract of this older Diana catalog, I think it’s from the late 70s... Para Jovenes y Principantes (for youngsters and newbies). The model 27 appears in another page (another level!):

cat1.png

cat2.png

My 23 is branded “Gecado”, which is the most common Diana brand found here in Chile. It has the “F” mark, which seems was enforced to be put in Germany after the 1970s:

imagen01.JPG

imagen02.JPG

imagen03.JPG

imagen04.JPG

imagen05.JPG

The stock is super slim:

imagen06.JPG

imagen07.JPG

Rounded pistol grip, as was usual in these older Diana’s:

imagen08.JPG

The trigger is 100% un-adjustable, LOL. No adjustments of any type, but a pretty decent trigger after all:

imagen09.JPG

imagen10.JPG

The elegant curvacious breech block:

imagen11.JPG

TO BE CONTINUED

The rear sight is simple. At first, it seems to be adjustable only for elevation.
The windage is adjustable too, but for that you need to use a “mallet” to tap it, GULP!

imagen12.JPG

imagen13.JPG

imagen14.JPG

The front sight. Simple "old school" front sight...
Careful: this is like the edge of an axe, a “weapon”. Dangerous if you pull the trigger with the barrel open, beware of this type of accidents!!

imagen15.JPG

The brand mark is pretty deep. I prefer the beautiful Diana goddess, but this one example is nice too:

imagen16.JPG

imagen17.JPG

imagen18.JPG

The “Made in Germany” with the manufacture date (in this case, November 1970):

imagen19.JPG

This barrel is rifled (note the breech seal is inserted in the compression tube, not in the breech block), see 2nd pict.:

imagen20.JPG

imagen21.JPG

The lever attachment to the breech block, like the model 27, is pure old-time quality:

imagen22.JPG

imagen23.JPG

The Model 23 is a feather. It weights close to nothing. And cocking is super easy. That’s why it is a good gun for kids. If the kid is too small, you can cut a couple of inches of the butt stock and make the rifle smaller to suit.

Power? 460 fps with Gamo Match pellets (about 3.5 fpe)

Can we say Magnum? Nope.
But we can say:

“5 million shots and still shooting like brand new”.

And that statement is 100% truth.!!!!
LOL.

Accuracy is good. I shot it in my garage at 10 yds, and is pleasing to do so. BTW, it is almost noiseless, which is great for this kind of shooting. I have found that the rear sights tend to get “loose” after so many years, and you have to do something to remedy this (cheap fixes, masking tape or similar), otherwise accuracy suffers a bit.

Cheers!

I have in fact two exemplars of the model 23. Both are Gecado’s. But they are from different vintages. I have some pictures side by side for comparison.

The first 23 that I showed is the newest one. My other model 23 is a smooth bore and it is much older. It is the darker one in the picts. I assume it is from the 60’s, (maybe from the 50’s?). It has a channel on the forearm stock and it lacks the “F” mark:

imagen24.JPG

imagen25.JPG

imagen26.JPG

imagen27.JPG

imagen28.JPG

“Find the differences”
--------------------

First, the stocks. The channel on the forearm is the first difference. Also, the stock on the older gun ends more “pointed” like:

imagen29.JPG

Screws. In the older gun, both axis-pins in the breech-block are executed with screws. In the newer gun one of them is just riveted, probably to cheapen the production costs:

imagen30.JPG

imagen31.JPG

Markings on the breech. The older gun has no marking at all:

imagen32.JPG

Markings on the tube. The older gun does not have the date of manufacture. It also says “Made in West Germany”, while in the newer gun it says “Made in Germany”. Why this difference????

imagen33.JPG

Underside of the stocks. The groove for the lever is longer on the older gun:

imagen34.JPG

Shape of the stock. The older gun’s stock is clearly more “square” and “crude”:

imagen35.JPG

imagen36.JPG

imagen37.JPG

imagen38.JPG

imagen39.JPG

Now this one is strange: The barrel detent. The older gun has a detent made with a chisel, the newer gun has the “ball” type detent. This means that the barrel piece is also different... So you have to be careful about versions if you want to get replacement parts:

imagen40.JPG

imagen41.JPG

These guns are giving this kind of velocities:

Newer gun: 460 fps with Gamo Match pellets (about 3.5 fpe)

Older gun: 500 fps with Gamo Match pellets (about 4.2 fpe)

So the older is a bit more “powerful”...

Reactions: Singleshot
I have in fact two exemplars of the model 23. Both are Gecado’s. But they are from different vintages. I have some pictures side by side for comparison.

The first 23 that I showed is the newest one. My other model 23 is a smooth bore and it is much older. It is the darker one in the picts. I assume it is from the 60’s, (maybe from the 50’s?). It has a channel on the forearm stock and it lacks the “F” mark:

View attachment 364607

View attachment 364608

View attachment 364610

View attachment 364606

View attachment 364609

“Find the differences”
--------------------

First, the stocks. The channel on the forearm is the first difference. Also, the stock on the older gun ends more “pointed” like:

View attachment 364611

Screws. In the older gun, both axis-pins in the breech-block are executed with screws. In the newer gun one of them is just riveted, probably to cheapen the production costs:

View attachment 364612

View attachment 364614

Markings on the breech. The older gun has no marking at all:

View attachment 364613

Markings on the tube. The older gun does not have the date of manufacture. It also says “Made in West Germany”, while in the newer gun it says “Made in Germany”. Why this difference????

View attachment 364615

Underside of the stocks. The groove for the lever is longer on the older gun:

View attachment 364616

Shape of the stock. The older gun’s stock is clearly more “square” and “crude”:

View attachment 364619

View attachment 364617

View attachment 364620

View attachment 364618

View attachment 364622

Now this one is strange: The barrel detent. The older gun has a detent made with a chisel, the newer gun has the “ball” type detent. This means that the barrel piece is also different... So you have to be careful about versions if you want to get replacement parts:

View attachment 364621

View attachment 364623

These guns are giving this kind of velocities:

Newer gun: 460 fps with Gamo Match pellets (about 3.5 fpe)

Older gun: 500 fps with Gamo Match pellets (about 4.2 fpe)

So the older is a bit more “powerful”...
Did you sale it?

I have been really fixated on these little rifles lately since I mainly shoot at spinner targets placed at different 20 to 35 yd distances and a few soup cans further out for my Quigley astounding distance shots ( maybe 55 yds :)

I'm partial to the Scottish Model 230 22 cal. versions of the Diana 23, as they offer a small rail you can attach a peep sight or small scope onto, and the 22 cal makes a little better thump on a metal target from such a low velocity rifle.

The top 4 in 1st pic is my current bunch of 230s, note the seldom seen full forend stock version dated 1973, 3rd from top.
The 2nd one from the top has unusually nice wood - see pics, they are usually pretty plain wood.

Also included 5th from top is a nice Hy-Score version of a Diana 22 in 177cal, and at the bottom a couple nice little Slavia 618 177 cals.
All these little guys are a joy to handle and shoot, they are so light they make my HW30 seem heavy..

20240121_123318.jpg

20240121_124542.jpg

20240121_124248.jpg

20240121_124338.jpg

20240121_124038.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MDriskill
Wouldn't happen to have the rear sight or some parts for it for the Mod 27 would you?
I also have a Winchester Mod 422. Forgot about that one!
I don't have spares to hand, but might could help you find one. Can you post a pic of the gun's breech? The model 27 used many sights over the years (there are 5 different types in my photo).

Please pardon unsolicited advice...but if you have a later one with a scope rail, I'd skip the open sight and go to an aperture sight, the gun's accuracy will honor that.

Last edited: