Eurasian dove

Took a walk in the woods today. There are a ton of colard doves the last few years. A tasty snack. Have taken several in the last month.

20240503_163030~2.jpg

20240503_163025~2.jpg

Nice. Open sights and CO2. There seem to be a about as many of the collard doves here now as the morning doves. I’m in central Calif. I don’t really like dark meat that much either but since I love hunting them I make the sacrifice and eat them too.
Kenny
Almost always use open sights, or red dot. This little gun shoots at around 630 fps in .22. Works nice at 30 yards or under for small critters.

Nice. Open sights and CO2. There seem to be a about as many of the collard doves here now as the morning doves. I’m in central Calif. I don’t really like dark meat that much either but since I love hunting them I make the sacrifice and eat them too.
Kenny
Merinade in Italian or Kraft 3 cheese salad dressing for a few hours, wrap in bacon and stick it on the grill. Then sprinkle some seasoning on it before the dressing gets crisp. When the bacon is done, the breast are done.

We have used BBQ and teriyaki sauce too, and it's good as well. Works for waterfowl and pheasant too, especially if you use maple bacon with the BBQ sauce.

Have three in the freezer and now this one. Maybe dinner for my wife and I on Sunday.

Reactions: AmosBurton
Merinade in Italian or Kraft 3 cheese salad dressing for a few hours, wrap in bacon and stick it on the grill. Then sprinkle some seasoning on it before the dressing gets crisp. When the bacon is done, the breast are done.

We have used BBQ and teriyaki sauce too, and it's good as well. Works for waterfowl and pheasant too, especially if you use maple bacon with the BBQ sauce.

Have three in the freezer and now this one. Maybe dinner for my wife and I on Sunday.
Awesome recipe. I will definitely give this a try. Thanks.

Not sure where you are from, but here in West Texas the collared doves numbers have really dropped , I see three or four at a time 2 years ago I would see 25 or 30 at a time, I kill everyone I see but don't like dark meat so feed the meat to my Box Turtles.
Mike
Out here in Belize it's the opposite. The population of Eurasian collared doves and especially white-winged doves has boomed. Grain isn't hard to find in a farming community.