Foot Lbs verses roof damage ?s

.20 11.42

Didn't go thru but is compromised.

View attachment 462373

View attachment 462374
Time out, how in the h are you going through Polycarbonate? It's used in safety glasses and for shielding on machines that can throw large heavy things. I've taken polycarbonate safety glasses and have beat the snot out of them with a very heavy hammer on concrete and ....all I did was scratch it. I'd consider non-lead pellets, or even an air soft but....I'd even test those darn things, they are anything but soft.

Reactions: WoodWelder
I personally wouldn't shoot in the direction of a fiberglass or polycarbonate roof, or any roof really, also always be mindful of where the projectile will go once it passes through the target. If you must, I'd keep it sub 12 fpe.

I remember back when slugs started becoming popular and people were shooting birds on silos, definitely some farms out there with compromised roofs due to the slug craze.

No need for your projectile to do more damage than what an undispatched pest would do.

Probably best to setup/stage a dedicated, make-shift roost for the birds you're pesting if there aren't tree's nearby they frequent...

-Matt

Reactions: Dairyboy
Time out, how in the h are you going through Polycarbonate? It's used in safety glasses and for shielding on machines that can throw large heavy things. I've taken polycarbonate safety glasses and have beat the snot out of them with a very heavy hammer on concrete and ....all I did was scratch it. I'd consider non-lead pellets, or even an air soft but....I'd even test those darn things, they are anything but soft.
I believe it to be the speed at which the projectile is traveling......I know the marketing on safety glasses where a 3 inch nail is stuck in the lens and the mannequin's eye is unharmed?

In my construction framing days, we used to hold the safety back on our pneumatic nail spiker and shoot at each other. My guess a spike shot out of a spiker is likely less than 50 fps? The movie Lethal Weapon is fake! LOL

You just gave me the thought to shoot a pair of safety glasses now. I'll also measure the fps of a nail traveling out one of my nail guns.

Stay Tuned Sir! HaHaHa

IMG_0821.jpeg
img2.jpeg
img.jpeg
IMG_0825(1).jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg

First two pictures fresh out of the wrapper!

Third and fourth picture shot at 30 yards

Final picture shot at 15 yards

SAFETY is a multi billion dollar industry! Don't believe all the hype/marketing.
ChiCom plastic? Honestly unless we look up the standards, but I do know that polycarbonate is damn near unbreakable. Like i said I beat the snot out of some lenses, much thicker by 2x maybe more, with the ball peen end of a 2# ballpeen, concave side down on concrete. I think I've got some old ones here somewhere time to set them and more testing. I'll tape the lens to side of a heavy steel bullet trap, going to be fun

ChiCom plastic? Honestly unless we look up the standards, but I do know that polycarbonate is damn near unbreakable. Like i said I beat the snot out of some lenses, much thicker by 2x maybe more, with the ball peen end of a 2# ballpeen, concave side down on concrete. I think I've got some old ones here somewhere time to set them and more testing. I'll tape the lens to side of a heavy steel bullet trap, going to be fun
Yeah, the surface area of a ballpeen hammer compared to the tiny pinpoint high energy of a pellet is no comparison......This is fun, either way, I look forward to your results.

I forgot to mention, this was one shot per lens, both shots knocked the frames off both times. The 15 yard shot took me some hands and knees action looking for the smashed lens pieces.

Wear safety glasses, they do help! (y)

The angle of attack will greatly vary the answer to your question. If you're shooting into the flat face of the roofing (i.e. pellet trajectory coincides with the roof normal), you'll need to tread lightly. But if the roof is only at a 10-degree angle to your pellet trajectory, almost anything subsonic would be fine, i.e. pellet trajectory 80 degrees from the normal.

Last edited: