making custom shot shells?

When you say normal airguns do you mean lower caliber ones or just basic airguns designed for pellets only?

If it's just for personal use then the video below might be of some help.
If I were to do it myself then I would do it like a self rolled cigarette. A filter to push the shot through the barrel, shot instead of tobacco and paper to hold it all together.
If I wanted to be a bit more professional I'd try to find a drinking straw (plastic if you can still find them where you live) that fits perfectly in the barrel.
If it was plastic you could use some heat to make it malleable and push it over a .25 cal sizing rod so it would fit perfectly in the barrel.

You basically just need 3 things. Something to push the shot, this can be plastic, wood, foam. The gauge shot you want to use and finally something to hold it all together, be it paper, plastic. I think some sort of paper would be best, perhaps the papers for cigarettes would work as they are rather thin but this in turn means it might break easily.

There are some products on the market you might take inspiration from.
1714957960921.png
1714957997018.png

Shot shells for airguns have been around for years, mostly for .50 caliber airguns afaik. I have seen several different versions, from shells to wads you fill with your shot of choice.

1714957687241.png

1714957847485.png
1714957866801.png

Reactions: GeneT
I have often thought about a large bore rifle, like .410 (.41 Caliber), or even a 28ga diameter and using regular empty shotshells, making them for air rifles. There are tons of empty 28ga hulls out there and anyone that reloads shotshells would have all of the components already, except maybe the felt 'caps'.
My thought is to simply cut down a plastic shotshell and load the shot in a wad as would be normal, with a felt cap on it. The primer would be removed and a simple probe with a shoulder and O-Ring to fit the primer hole would be the way to make fire. That way the wad goes with the payload and it should shoot very similar patterns as a normal shotgun.
A piece of copper tubing the diameter of a .5" coupling would fit a 28ga diameter perfectly.
I might imagine that a standard reloading machine would work for reloading said ammo.
I just don't have the tools to make something like that, so putting it out here.
Just a thought that has been rattling around my pea brain for a long time....

Mike

When you say normal airguns do you mean lower caliber ones or just basic airguns designed for pellets only?

If it's just for personal use then the video below might be of some help.
If I were to do it myself then I would do it like a self rolled cigarette. A filter to push the shot through the barrel, shot instead of tobacco and paper to hold it all together.
If I wanted to be a bit more professional I'd try to find a drinking straw (plastic if you can still find them where you live) that fits perfectly in the barrel.
If it was plastic you could use some heat to make it malleable and push it over a .25 cal sizing rod so it would fit perfectly in the barrel.

You basically just need 3 things. Something to push the shot, this can be plastic, wood, foam. The gauge shot you want to use and finally something to hold it all together, be it paper, plastic. I think some sort of paper would be best, perhaps the papers for cigarettes would work as they are rather thin but this in turn means it might break easily.

There are some products on the market you might take inspiration from.
View attachment 462068View attachment 462069

Shot shells for airguns have been around for years, mostly for .50 caliber airguns afaik. I have seen several different versions, from shells to wads you fill with your shot of choice.

View attachment 462062
View attachment 462065View attachment 462066

so yes when I said normal I meant guns designed for pellets only, I do like the drinking straw idea, that's something I didn't even think about. im currently looking into using pill capsules, there's a size that Is pretty close to 25 cal and one that is almost exactly 22 cal. I don't think there will be much of a point in this project but it would be pretty cool I think.

so yes when I said normal I meant guns designed for pellets only, I do like the drinking straw idea, that's something I didn't even think about. im currently looking into using pill capsules, there's a size that Is pretty close to 25 cal and one that is almost exactly 22 cal. I don't think there will be much of a point in this project but it would be pretty cool I think.
pill capsule idea is interesting but wont they be too tough to break open when you fire?