SpeedShot Target Testers Needed!

Hi! I'm currently working on a paper chronograph called SpeedShot for all those airgunners out there who don't own a chronograph (like me) or who don't want to drag out the chrony to the range every time.

That being said, I need some willing participants to give feedback on my paper chronograph targets. I've done all the nerdy math to figure out exactly where the pellet should strike given a muzzle velocity.

Essentially, the end user would zero their rifle/pistol at a range of their choosing, move to 50% of the distance, then continue shooting. The target will then tell you how fast your pellet is moving based on where it hits at the shorter range.

For example, I zero my gun in at 50yd. I would then fire at 25yd and compare the paper chronograph speed to the actual chronograph.

Is anyone willing to help me validate my model? Thank you! There is a PDF file attached that can be printed on any standard household printer.

1714831029896.png

View attachment ZeroAt100_ShootAt50.0.pdf

I'd love to give this a try, and I have a chrony, so I may be able to validate the findings. So I understand correctly, I am aiming at the target on the bottom, zero to it at say 30 yards (I only have 35 yards to play with in my backyard) and then aim at the same target and shoot from 15 yards and it should tell me the speed of the pellet? Interesting idea and will be useful for the stealth .177 air rifle I have that no chrony can seem to pick up the pellets!

I'd love to give this a try, and I have a chrony, so I may be able to validate the findings. So I understand correctly, I am aiming at the target on the bottom, zero to it at say 30 yards (I only have 35 yards to play with in my backyard) and then aim at the same target and shoot from 15 yards and it should tell me the speed of the pellet? Interesting idea and will be useful for the stealth .177 air rifle I have that no chrony can seem to pick up the pellets!
Yes! That's exactly it! However, the targets are range dependent because the more range the more pellet arc. So I don't think you would get anything useful using the 100yd target at 30yd. But I've made you a custom target that should fit your yard! I will forewarn you though, the lines are not as pronounced as the example above due to the shorter distance. The lines are a little harder to make out, but if you could tell me if my targets are at least in the right ballpark that would be amazing!! I'm super thankful for the willingness!

View attachment ZeroAt30_ShootAt15.0_CustomForFLgunner.pdf

My club has a competition range we use for airgunning and when I'm recovered from my shoulder surgery I can run a few of these. I could do it at 25/50y and 50/100y. I have a couple of 18ft-lb .177, a 52 ft-lb .22, and a 73ft-lb .30 all shooting pellets. I also have a Labradar that can record velocities for all of the shots.

Not sure offhand how much your math depends on BC, but I can also include 22RF and 22 slugs.

How soon are you thinking? I likely won't get to the range for another month until my surgeon clears me to drive again.

Well, 30 yards may not be the right distance for these targets! Or, maybe I should have used a different gun... But, here it goes:

Notos shooting 14.3 Crosman Domed pellets at 30 yards and then 15 yards.

30 yrd Speed Target.jpg

Don't be fooled by the one shot that is in the lined area, it was a flyer when shooting from 30 yards while I was zeroing the scope. The low shot was number one. followed by one of the holes in the bully, then the flyer... After moving to 15 yards all three remaining shots went in the bulls eye (the upper group).

I did some more shooting off this target to verify POI, for a total of 12 shots. Here's the string:

Crosman .22 14.3gr
Shot count: 12
Low: 756 FPS
Hi: 779 FPS
Avg: 771 FPS
Spread: 23 FPS
STD Dev: 5.0 FPS

770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
779,FPS, 19.3,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
756,FPS, 18.2,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,

I need to find a longer range and maybe try another airgun at 50 yards and 25 yards to see if it might work better. My neighbor haas more room in his back yards so maybe I'll try there if you can make me a 50 yard/25 yard target to try.

Well, 30 yards may not be the right distance for these targets! Or, maybe I should have used a different gun... But, here it goes:

View attachment 461572

Don't be fooled by the one shot that is in the lined area, it was a flyer when shooting from 30 yards while I was zeroing the scope. The low shot was number one. followed by one of the holes in the bully, then the flyer... After moving to 15 yards all three remaining shots went in the bulls eye (the upper group).

I did some more shooting off this target to verify POI, for a total of 12 shots. Here's the string:

Crosman .22 14.3gr

770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
779,FPS, 19.3,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
756,FPS, 18.2,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,

I need to find a longer range and maybe try another airgun at 50 yards and 25 yards to see if it might work better. My neighbor haas more room in his back yards so maybe I'll try there if you can make me a 50 yard/25 yard target to try.
Wow! That was fast! And yeah, I figured 30 wouldn’t be ideal. I’ll get right on that 50/25 target!

To be quite honest, this is an extension of another personal project. I started this idea for my bow and that works great. It could be that airguns are too different for this idea.

My club has a competition range we use for airgunning and when I'm recovered from my shoulder surgery I can run a few of these. I could do it at 25/50y and 50/100y. I have a couple of 18ft-lb .177, a 52 ft-lb .22, and a 73ft-lb .30 all shooting pellets. I also have a Labradar that can record velocities for all of the shots.

Not sure offhand how much your math depends on BC, but I can also include 22RF and 22 slugs.

How soon are you thinking? I likely won't get to the range for another month until my surgeon clears me to drive again.
Whenever you’re ready! I’m in no rush.

Wow! That was fast! And yeah, I figured 30 wouldn’t be ideal. I’ll get right on that 50/25 target!

To be quite honest, this is an extension of another personal project. I started this idea for my bow and that works great. It could be that airguns are too different for this idea.
LOL! You peaked my curiosity and I already have targets set up in the back yard, so it was only a matter of distancing 30 yards and 15 yards (My range is actually 35 yards when shooting from inside the house), so it wasn't that much of a chore to just get er done! I'll have to coordinate with my neighbor on the 50/25 test, so that might be one day next week.

LOL! You peaked my curiosity and I already have targets set up in the back yard, so it was only a matter of distancing 30 yards and 15 yards (My range is actually 35 yards when shooting from inside the house), so it wasn't that much of a chore to just get er done! I'll have to coordinate with my neighbor on the 50/25 test, so that might be one day next week.
No worries at all, like I told dgeesaman I'm in no rush.

Attached is the 50/25!

View attachment ZeroAt50_ShootAt25.0.pdf

View attachment 461572

Crosman .22 14.3gr

770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
770,FPS, 18.8,FT Lbs,
779,FPS, 19.3,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,
756,FPS, 18.2,FT Lbs,
772,FPS, 19.0,FT Lbs,

Were you shooting at a downward angle by chance? Like from a standing position to the ground? I am a benchrest shooter, so that’s how I designed these targets, i.e. an overall “flat” shot. That may be the reason for the pattern you saw.

Were you shooting at a downward angle by chance? Like from a standing position to the ground? I am a benchrest shooter, so that’s how I designed these targets, i.e. an overall “flat” shot. That may be the reason for the pattern you saw.
Nope, shooting from a bench. Muzzle was almost level with the target, maybe a 2-3" drop over 30 yards.

Hi! I'm currently working on a paper chronograph called SpeedShot for all those airgunners out there who don't own a chronograph (like me) or who don't want to drag out the chrony to the range every time.

That being said, I need some willing participants to give feedback on my paper chronograph targets. I've done all the nerdy math to figure out exactly where the pellet should strike given a muzzle velocity.

Essentially, the end user would zero their rifle/pistol at a range of their choosing, move to 50% of the distance, then continue shooting. The target will then tell you how fast your pellet is moving based on where it hits at the shorter range.

For example, I zero my gun in at 50yd. I would then fire at 25yd and compare the paper chronograph speed to the actual chronograph.

Is anyone willing to help me validate my model? Thank you! There is a PDF file attached that can be printed on any standard household printer.

View attachment 461523

View attachment 461524

I'm game!

I shoot at least a 500 shot tin a week and have a couple chronies out at all times.

I do other pellets and slugs too for tuning different guns.