N/A Switched flipped on a Jefferson State Raptor

Will be interested for outcome regarding your testing of slugs. Have fun
Well, currently the winner is 26gr RMR's at 1030ish fps, nothing else was consistent enough to send downrange at ground squirrels at 100 yard. For pellets the JSB 33.95 MKII at 940ish, wasn't really keeping track. I have a bunch more to go through, all Zans, unless I get lucky and find the ones a forum member sent me a wee bit back. I'm getting about 30 rounds/fill A bit disappointing but I'll survive.

Well, currently the winner is 26gr RMR's at 1030ish fps, nothing else was consistent enough to send downrange at ground squirrels at 100 yard. For pellets the JSB 33.95 MKII at 940ish, wasn't really keeping track. I have a bunch more to go through, all Zans, unless I get lucky and find the ones a forum member sent me a wee bit back. I'm getting about 30 rounds/fill A bit disappointing but I'll survive.
I would take out a bit of poppet lift using the buffer adjustment on hammer ... sounds like it is over dwelling IMO

Reactions: HogKiller
I would take out a bit of poppet lift using the buffer adjustment on hammer ... sounds like it is over dwelling IMO
Yes, been working on that, balancing out the valve/poppet, he calls the stuff different terms, and the spring. I'm down the slug branch of the Rabbit Hole® for a while out of curiosity, I think the TJ barrel will do it, it's just finding that sweet spot. I've got a feeing that I need to drop the speeds a touch, it should tighten up the pellets and the slugs. I was planning on creeping up on the regulator but over shot, no pun intended, my target pressures. So I need to drain the tank and back the regulator off half a turn.

Seems like a lot more trouble than the Maverick at this point, maybe you’ll find the magic tune?
It took me over a year to get my Mav's great. Sad story here, I SWORE I'd never touch my .25VP barrel again, then, I took off the Mod, BAD MISTAKE, shroud got loosened and things went down the tubes. FINALLY have it close to where it was. I'm thinking that may be an issue with the Raptor, but it doesn't have a soda straw for a barrel. Oh well the adventure continues.

Well today I drained the tank on the raptor backed off, or I should say screwed in the pressure regulator a little bit so it’s already on the edge, recharged it went out and fired it and started backing it out until I got to about 905 with a 33.95 pellets put in the 26 grain slugs and tweet a little tiny bit on both you know back-and-forth and now they’re basically Nickel size holes at 30 yards for both of them Next I’m going to start messing with the poppet or the valve adjuster and the spring and see if I can get the SD down because right now it’s about 3.5 4.5 and if that works if I can get it down to 2.0SD, then I’ll call that one good and then start playing with bumping it up for heavier slugs.

I spent a bit of time between some wet stuff tweaking the Raptor today. With 33.95's 905 avg SD of 1.2. With 26gr RMR/FX Hybrids I'm getting nice groups at an avg. of 978 and a SD of 4.1....offically close enough. I tried some lighter Zans, gun doesn't like them So, into the box they go. If RMR made a 30gr or so I'd love it but....I'll survive with the 26gr'a. Scheduled to go out to my permission on Thurs if the weather holds and get the Raptor sighted in to 100 yards and maybe get a few squirrels.

Last edited:
I spent a bit of time between some wet stuff tweaking the Raptor today. With 33.95's 905 avg SD of 1.2. With 26gr RMR/FX Hybrids I'm getting nice groups at an avg. of 978 and a SD of 4.1....offically close enough. I tried some lighter Zans, gun doesn't like them So, into the box they go. If RMR made a 30gr or so I'd love it but....I'll survive with the 26gr'a. Scheduled to go out to my permission on Thurs if the weather holds and get the Raptor sighted in to 100 yards and maybe get a few squirrels.
Hog - Will look forward to your hunting report. Glad you are getting great accuracy from your 25 jsar

Hog - Will look forward to your hunting report. Glad you are getting great accuracy from your 25 jsar
It'll be interesting, at 30 yards it's no better than my Mavericks...duh, and both of my Mav's are fine out to 125. I will say, this thing kicks, not sure why. I'm not using a lot of air or excessive anything, my shot count is about 36 or so. I tuned it the same way as a Maverick, kept balancing the valve and hammer spring and regulator until I hit 905 on the 33.95's, then tweaked the HSA and valve very slowly to get the SD consistent.

Ok, the official hunting report, I had it zeroed at 30 yards but wasn't really consistent,, went to my permission, set up a target at 50 yards and finally got it hitting the 1.5" steel, elevation was fine but windage was off. Just not really consistent. Went through a bunch of pellets and did manage to get a couple of squirrels between 85 and 100 yards. BUT my shots were all over the map. I was using JSB 33.95's MKII's at 905. Should have been ok but, we all know how guns are. Today, Saturday, I tested it and pellets weren't consistent. Drained the tank, screwed in the regulator, filled the tank very very slowly started bumping up the speeds. Forgot to mention prior to this, I fell off the regulator the groups really settled in at 895 - 887. I felt that 890 was going to be ideal, so, crept up on it and yep I was right.
Started getting nice tight consistant groups. SD was ok, about 2.5. Now I can start tweaking the hammer spring and valve a touch. I'm wondering of the old 33.95's are better than the MkII's?

Pictures and a bad video in hunting. www.airgunnation.com/threads/hogkillers-ground-squirrel-season-is-officially-open.1308275/#post-1695709

Reactions: DaMitch
If I push JSB 34 outside of 800 to 900 fps then they tend to corkscrew/spiral. I know there are other factors involved but perhaps you are running into the same thing.
Yep, it's dependent upon the barrel but the raptor really likes 900. My Maverick 600 is slightly faster. The Raptor TJ barrel is a 1:18 twist 4 land. I'm still concerned that something is a touch loose, I'm going to 2x check today. The barrel mount is radius to radius, which is fine but...I'd have put a slight groove in the female (barrel) radius so the contacts would be on the sides of the male radius, not possibly hitting the top.

Tweaked a few things got the SD down to 1.9FPS and the Spread is 5FPS, current speed is 905 FPS with 33.95 JSB MkII. Got a bit of a surprise, my gun was empty this morning after sitting for a few days, It's maxed out now, so will check in morning.

Edit, yep has/had a leak, the bleed screw was leaking, and it was snug, gave it as much as I though it could take, and still had a tiny bit, so put on some teflon tape for now, that fixed it. Buying some new 1/8" plastic ball bearings,

Last edited:
Update? It’s been awhile…
Sorry, been messing with my Mavericks, going out with 3 rifles is a bit much, I'm trying to curtail my desire to try every darn pellet ever made, I DO love experimenting, not good when you want to go and hunt too. I ordered a bunch of plastic balls two different materials to see if there is a significant difference. There was something else, I'll remember later and update if it filters through.

Dragged out the Raptor, added some air, it hadn't leaked down, I just didn't refill it. 30 yards, with JSB Mk II 33.95's not exactly one hole because I'm not fully rested, either the gun or myself. Just got in some AEA Center Punch 33.9's so, in they went EXACTLY the same POI and groupings, see the rested part. Not unhappy with either pellets or the gun. Next up will be to actually mount the scope correctly, higher mounts to clear the magazines and be able to move it back a bit to where I'm more comfortable and get the proper eye relief, hopefully the teething pains are over.

My plan is to shoot the tank dry, drain it, replace the plastic ball and test to make sure it holds air.

4.2.24, remounted the scope, Arken SH-4 with their highest mounts to clear things, clears and that's all I can say, it's close but see light and that's all that matters. With the AEA Center Punch 6 shots.....887fps, Spread of 2, SD of 1.0. I'm calling this close enough. I don't want to bring it up, with 25gr pellets I'm pushing a touch over 1,000 fps. Tank is down, time to play with my......replacement balls. A note on the Center Punch, they are...snug... in the breech, I need to measure them and compare against the JSB's

Update, I measured a few JSB's and 10 or so Center Punches, the CP's were between .2503" and .2506", the JSB were .2500 to .2503. This explains why the CP's are tighter in the breech. BUT there is no evidence that the tighter ones create an issue with speed or accuracy. The first 3/4 are the Center Punches, the next spike are the JSB's. It's obvious that the regulator is bumping up a bit. Nothing really significant IMHO.

Screen Shot 4:3:2024 IMG_3FD7AB9ACC8A-1.jpegScreenshot 2024-04-03 at 17.53.56.jpeg

Notice there is a 15fps increase from what I said above. All I did was reseal a bleed valve, and pump up the Raptor to 300 bar. I was 'thinking' of bumping up the speed a touch but the gun did it for me, how nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay308
More playing with the AEA Dead Centers, the Raptor REALLY likes them. Verified my zero at 30 at home, first shot was 912, next 22 shots were 900 to 901 STD of 1 fps, close enough If the gun sits for a bit the first shot is always a touch high., next day went to my permission, target at 70 yards dialed the scope to my 70yard and hit 5" steel, moved over hit the 3" steel, moved over, hit the 1" steel, dialed to my 110 yard, aimed at a little dirt clod and hit it. Calling it good.