N/A Switched flipped on a Jefferson State Raptor

Sent gun back, gave Matthew a call yesterday, ok rattled his cage, he's busy, he did get to my gun, tore the reg apart cleaned it, seated the adjuster???, sealed a few other things, did a series of rapid shooting, first 15 had a SD of 1.9, next round of 40 had an SD of 3.7. Didn't shoot for accuracy but he commented that the gun was very accurate. This was at 80 yards I believe, 40 shots. He's getting it off on Friday so, with any luck I'll have it the middle of next week,
1707578666425.png
1707578935122.png

Got the rifle in last night went out his AM and ran a few mags through it. Matthew had made a silencer for the spring, nope didn't do it...hang on to that thought.....with 33.96 JSB MkII perking along at about 970fps 25 yards wasn't too bad, ok groups. Tried some Zan's up to 40gr, much slower of course but ok. Gun sounded loud though with the pellets, couldn't hear it the report. Came back from Valentines Day Fish Tacos. Pulled the hammer spring out, and flipped it around with the 'silencer' to the rear so see if that helped. Put in some 33.95;s, let one go, ok MUCHO better, twang is still there but manageable, I could actually hear the report, not too bad. Perking along at 970 again, SD about 2.3 ish.

Reported to Matt, he gave me a few clues about adjusting the valve, so I think I can get slugs to play well with the barrel, it wants to, just requires a touch of tuning/adjusting. I'm hoping to get out on Friday between rain storms and see what happens out to 100 yards with pellets, maybe slugs will see.

Sounds more positive, hopefully it will perform great, but will it out shoot the .25 Maverick…
THAT is going to be the real question isn't it? In the Mav's current state...MAYBE. Background, I did a dumb thing and took off the Mav's moderator, THAT loosened up the shroud and the end, THAT moved something and now it's not as accurate as it was. It's not bad just not like it was. I think the JSAR is going to take a bit of breaking in and some adjusting. There is some adjusting of how I shoot it also. It's got some nice potential.

THAT is going to be the real question isn't it? In the Mav's current state...MAYBE. Background, I did a dumb thing and took off the Mav's moderator, THAT loosened up the shroud and the end, THAT moved something and now it's not as accurate as it was. It's not bad just not like it was. I think the JSAR is going to take a bit of breaking in and some adjusting. There is some adjusting of how I shoot it also. It's got some nice potential.
Glad the 25 Jsar is back. Enjoy breaking it in.

Glad the 25 Jsar is back. Enjoy breaking it in.
Oh, I'm going to break it in on Ground Squirrels, tomorrow. Perhaps a touch over kill but.....go big or go home, my permission ranges from 50 yards to 125 yards. Now to figure out which slugs it likes, tried some Zans, it didn't dislike them.

Reactions: DaMitch
Well got to my permission, got set up and ok dummy you left targets at home for setting it up. Got a plastic bottle set it out at 100 yards, dialed up the scope to 100 and let fly, oh my it hit it, a few more hits and it went down below the weeds, kept on shooting. The 33.95's were 970fps SD of 2.2, loaded in some RMR/FX 26gr slugs, 1032fps, sound of hitting the bottle. It's overcast and cool, too cool for Ground Squirrels so I wait and chat with the Horsemans Assoc. janitor. He's getting ready to leave and oh look a target on a log, 100 yards away but, he had to go, he leaves and the squirrel leaves too. Wait what do I see, it's a big rabbit, aim at its head and...miss..huh?? So I find a rock out there and shoot, misses to the left, do a windage adjustment of 1.25MOA and brings it in, explains why I missed the bunny. All in all the gun worked well, hammer spring is twanging line a banjo still, got home, took it apart, did a small modification to the piece that Matt put in and a piece of electrical tape, now a slip fit inside the spring and, twang is gone.

hog. Can you explain further on twang removal. Would like to do the same to my Matt 30. i appreciate it. Glad you are enjoying the 25.
I'll see if I can explain it, firstly in all honesty I didn't figure it out, I'm/we are copying what Zbroia did in their Sapsan. Their spring adjuster has a recess the diameter of the spring, a piece shaped like a T with the head the diameter of the recess and the stem the diameter of the i.D of the spring, a close slip fit. The length of the stem needs to be shorter than the distance when cocked. Now on the JSAR, they use a machined radius on the adjuster and the hammer weight to locate the spring, I think the issue is, it's significantly smaller than the id of the spring, allowing it to shift/vibrate. Matt made a piece shaped like the T out of Delrin. there wasn't a hole to locate it so I used 1/2" center drill at first but it's only a 90º, so I used a 1/2" drill with a 118º to make it larger and shallower, can't have the stem falling off. It still twanged so, I tried one layer of electrical tape, it made it a nice slip fit and boom, no twang. I didn't give it a long test, only 5 shots but the SD didn't change so I'm assuming there is no interference with the spring. Going to get another piece made to eliminate the tape.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaMitch
Does your Raptor have a TJ barrel on it? If it does, I find trying to shoot a .250 Hybrid very interesting. What led you to that conclusion?
Which conclusion? Yes it has a TJ. I'd like to know what diameter slugs to play with, I don't have any way to check the minor diameter of the bore and I'm not fond of spending a ton of money to figure it out. Prefer to have someone else spend theirs. :D

Unless Jefferson State is having TJ build them their own proprietary barrel, a Hybrid is not it. A Hybrid can be a bandaid slug in some cases depending how hard you smack the back of it. It can even be a bandaid slug when you slightly crush it. But it won’t give super consistent results and you will miss when you shouldn’t have. So don’t judge your gun with slugs yet. But I’m sure once you start getting your velocity right with pellets, you’ll be all smiles.

Unless Jefferson State is having TJ build them their own proprietary barrel, a Hybrid is not it. A Hybrid can be a bandaid slug in some cases depending how hard you smack the back of it. It can even be a bandaid slug when you slightly crush it. But it won’t give super consistent results and you will miss when you shouldn’t have. So don’t judge your gun with slugs yet. But I’m sure once you start getting your velocity right with pellets, you’ll be all smiles.
Well the TJ seems to be ok with the hybrids, I did some Zans and the lighter ones worked pretty well, haven't really played with them. I know the JA, or at least I assume, it's a set it and forget it, unlike my Mavericks that will handle most anything with a twist of the HSA. When I get enough to to actually play with at distance I'll go for it..I know the TJ is more of a pellet barrel but I'm sure that in there somewhere is the golden slug. I'm not really hard on the slug thing but it's an interesting thing to try. I'll take input about them.

Ken aka hogkiller,,, if I may,,, I would describe the Sapsan hammer spring as having a free floating guide, shaped like a 16d nail
you can install it 2 ways
the guide can have the head forward, adding to the hammer weight when fired or you can have the head rearward, and the extra weight is neutral

back to your barrel discussion

Reactions: HogKiller
I started putting TJ’s on my .25’s back in 2017 and it wasn’t for pellets. The first slug gun i built using that barrel wound up being one of the most accurate 25.39 shooters at 100 yards that I‘ve ever shot. Your gun will do both well. But it probably wont happen on one setting. When you find the right slug for that barrel, you won‘t be shooting pellets at their best at that setting.

Reactions: HogKiller
I started putting TJ’s on my .25’s back in 2017 and it wasn’t for pellets. The first slug gun i built using that barrel wound up being one of the most accurate 25.39 shooters at 100 yards that I‘ve ever shot. Your gun will do both well. But it probably wont happen on one setting. When you find the right slug for that barrel, you won‘t be shooting pellets at their best at that setting.
Thusly my request, attempting to get a clue on something the barrels like. Now honestly I can afford to buy a ton of slugs, but then I'd have .98 tons of lead to get rid of. Is there a particular diameter that appears to work the best in the TJ barrel?

I played with the tune a bit over the past few days, reduced the reg pressure a bit, just a tiny bit then starting playing with the striker adjustment and spring, got it pretty well balanced out, have both JSB 33.95 and RMR 26gr hybrids shooting ok, SD of 2.3 on both, I've yet to find a slug that works well enough to mess with it further, I've tried Zans 30 - 38 gr, JSB Knockouts 33.49 gr, Patriots 36 gr, none are close enough to right home about. I'm going to revisit the slugs tomorrow and see what happens.

I played with the tune a bit over the past few days, reduced the reg pressure a bit, just a tiny bit then starting playing with the striker adjustment and spring, got it pretty well balanced out, have both JSB 33.95 and RMR 26gr hybrids shooting ok, SD of 2.3 on both, I've yet to find a slug that works well enough to mess with it further, I've tried Zans 30 - 38 gr, JSB Knockouts 33.49 gr, Patriots 36 gr, none are close enough to right home about. I'm going to revisit the slugs tomorrow and see what happens.
Will be interested for outcome regarding your testing of slugs. Have fun