Taipan Veteran Gen 2 Question

As I recall, the lever that operates the anti-double load mechanism is actuated directly off the cocking arm. With the linkages required to do that with the forward cocking lever, it is probably a design nightmare and not considered worth the time and money to attempt. I'm sure that is oversimplified, but I think it is a direct trade off in the forward cocking design. Be careful what you wish for. One thing I find interesting, is the marketing hype over the free floating barrel in the Gen 2. If ever there was an air rifle that did not need a free floating barrel, it's the Veteran. I think the Gen 1 Veteran is a marvelous design, and one that I won't be trading.

As I recall, the lever that operates the anti-double load mechanism is actuated directly off the cocking arm. With the linkages required to do that with the forward cocking lever, it is probably a design nightmare and not considered worth the time and money to attempt. I'm sure that is oversimplified, but I think it is a direct trade off in the forward cocking design. Be careful what you wish for. One thing I find interesting, is the marketing hype over the free floating barrel in the Gen 2. If ever there was an air rifle that did not need a free floating barrel, it's the Veteran. I think the Gen 1 Veteran is a marvelous design, and one that I won't be trading.
I agree with this. The last time I've zeroed my Veteran Long was 3 years ago... Granted, the rifle is a standby backyard varmint rifle and doesn't get shot much, but still. Also, a few weeks ago, I disassembled the gun to attempt to replace the barrel with the 700mm barrel. It turned out that the 700mm barrels sold on Talon Tunes for the Veteran 1 are actually for the Veteran 2 so I had to put the original barrel back into place because the barrel for the Veteran 2 does not have a 1/2" UNF thread at the muzzle. After re-assembly, I didn't even have to re-zero my rifle as it was still spot on at my distances of within 40 meters.

Reactions: longdog