What is your Opinion of SWFA SS Fixed Power Scopes

Great springer scope. Ive got one on an HW50s out in the gun room right now, and it's been on there for a couple years. They can survive a springer, no problem.

In fact, I've got three of them, and all the 20x with the mil quad reticle.

As you've seen from the responses, most people don't love the 20x but I think they're great for my uses. I had one on my primary field target PCP for a while and was winning matches with it towards the end, before I upgraded. I really like them for pesting and paper. Thick enough, but not too thick reticle. Hold over or click the turrets, both work great.

I think most of my love for the SWFA SS comes down to familiarity, as I've spent a lot of time using them. Not overly complicated or gadgety, just a good, solid scope. Less is more with these scopes.

Cons: eye relief pickiness and a little bit of a murky image
Are the two big downsides.

Are they my favorite scope? Nope. BUT, are they my favorite $250-300 scope? YES! They've allowed me to keep multiple guns scoped with trustable glass, without needing to swap scopes around all the time.

Reactions: bf1956 and Zut
The eye relief on the Swfa 20x is critical. It was designed for long distance target shooting and do a Damm good job. I ran one on my Texan .257 with fx limit rings and blast coke cans @ 300 yds with nsa 85 hpbt. Granted not an aim and shoot scope as eye placement is to critical, but work well for intended purpose. The sweetheart of swfa fixed is the 10x sf milquad. Best warranty in business.
The problem is not eye relief/eye box nor eye placement. If I have ANY bright object within 180 degrees of the scope, it will "snow out". In other words, no adjustment of my eye in relation to the occular will improve it or actually allow me to see the target. This may be because of inferior lens coatings or something else, but...

for ANYONE thinking about buying the 20x SWFA SS...

DON'T! They should not still be selling this POS!

You were warned. (smile)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zut
The problem is not eye relief/eye box nor eye placement. If I have ANY bright object within 180 degrees of the scope, it will "snow out". In other words, no adjustment of my eye in relation to the occular will improve it or actually allow me to see the target. This may be because of inferior lens coatings or something else, but...

You were warned. (smile)
Roger Wilco!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: BackStop
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. The 10x was the one I was most interested in.

So you like the Mil-quad over the Moa-Quad. Why is that? I don't know the specific reason for one versus the other.

Z
I have the 10X on a Taipan Vet, MOA-Quad. It's not a light weight scope but it has been great for my pesting needs. It's relatively clear, and with knowing your holdovers, its simple to use the reticle without having to dial the elevation turret. I'm used to using MOA scopes, so figuring out holdovers between 20-50 yds has become second nature.

I have the 10X on a Taipan Vet, MOA-Quad. It's not a light weight scope but it has been great for my pesting needs. It's relatively clear, and with knowing your holdovers, its simple to use the reticle without having to dial the elevation turret. I'm used to using MOA scopes, so figuring out holdovers between 20-50 yds has become second nature.
Thanks Mr.H:,
I appreciate the review!
Z

Reactions: Mr.H
I've had several nice scopes on firearms (nothing over $1000). My favorite was the SWFA 10X SS with side focus. It was on my Rem 700 5R 308. I don't remember much about short range focusing except a few 30 yard shots and 1 varmint at 20 yards. What I do remember well was a lot of tiny groups on paper at 100 yards, hits on steel at 500 yards and typical work at 1000 yards. It tracked flawlessly dialing dope up and down hundreds of times. I loaded and shot over 1100 rounds for this rifle. Half of my 500 yard range shots were using holdovers at 200, 300, 400 & 500. The other half shots were dialing the dope.

My favorite things were the 30mm tube, great glass for the money & simple 10X fixed.

I had the MOA turrets and reticle. That's what I wanted because I studied that DOPE and that ballistics nomenclature. If I was to buy a second SWFA for another adventure I would get the Mil system because I'm a glutton for learning. I'm convinced whatever reticle we use for holdovers is easy enough and fun to learn.

Edit; I have 2 Airmax and 1 Hawke Vantage on my airguns. I would definitely like a SWFA on a heavy airgun.
Great review TXR, I am like you, always ready to learn something new. I have been reading about MIL vs MOA and have convinced myself the MIL is the way to go for me.

I put a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12 on my HW77K yesterday and have been shooting on 10x to 12x this morning. Good clear optics but the reticle is not really a great for air rifles. It will come off soon.

Cheers
Z

Typically for a 77/97 I'd recommend a Airmax 3-9x40 or 4-12x40. I have the latter on my 97 and very happy with it. These scopes will live forever on these guns. They're kind of porky IMO but to me a 77/97 is a bench rifle. A few other benefits of this combination. First is it's short enough not to block the loading port. Second the warranty is fantastic in the unlikely event you need it.
Just my 2 cents

Ohhh also the reticle is the best airgunning reticle for target shooting I've seen. It's not great in the woods where the background is probably dark and busy. Now were back to this is bench gun and has no business in the woods in the first place.

Typically for a 77/97 I'd recommend a Airmax 3-9x40 or 4-12x40. I have the latter on my 97 and very happy with it. These scopes will live forever on these guns. They're kind of porky IMO but to me a 77/97 is a bench rifle. A few other benefits of this combination. First is it's short enough not to block the loading port. Second the warranty is fantastic in the unlikely event you need it.
Just my 2 cents

Ohhh also the reticle is the best airgunning reticle for target shooting I've seen. It's not great in the woods where the background is probably dark and busy. Now were back to this is bench gun and has no business in the woods in the first place.
I only got the Crossfire II because my son has a dealer discount. It does have nice glass and the AO scale is pretty accurate but the turrets feel very soft with no audible clicks.

The Airmax looks great, I bought a little Vantage 2-7 AO for my HW50 and it's a pretty good scope for the money. The AMX reticle does look darn good too.

Z

You were warned. (smile)

That is what sun shades are for

Reactions: Mr.H
Anyone used a 10X42 SWFA SS scope on a springer?

What do you use if for? Hunting, field target, punching paper?
There are three choice of reticle Mil-Dot, MOA-Quad and Mil-Quad. I kind of like the MOA-Quad. What reticle do you have and how do you like it?

Thanks
Z
I have the 10X it is fine for 20 meter targets . working well on a light springer tune 10 FPE.

I have a SWFA 16x on a Walther LGU and a 12x on my Diana 54, both with the MIL-QUAD reticle. I like both scopes and so far, prefer the 16x. The spacing between the hash marks and diamonds in the 16x make the reticle a little easier to use. Yes, the 16x is sensitive to eye position, but on a paper puncher/target rifle-move your eye to the sweet spot, hold, and release the shot. No regrets purchasing either of these scopes. Used between 25 and 100 yards on paper and targets. I personally wouldn't have one of these on a hunting rifle.

My steel Weaver T10 10× AO Made in USA 1977-84 & 1966 HW35.

20240501_210032.jpg

20240501_210105.jpg

20240501_210128.jpg

20240501_210133.jpg

20240501_210205.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zut