• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA semiauto after a week of ownership

A week ago I just bought my 22 AEA HP semiauto (in like new condition) and the rod disconnected from the bolt in 8-10 magazines for the first time.
Then it started disconnecting every 3-4-5 magazines, 3 times so far.

The Pellet Shop have the bolt handle and the rod.
But, I decided that I will not spend $40 (with shipping) for a rod and bolt handle from the Pellet Shop.

All 3 of my magazines broke in this week, because the spring inside popped out of the holes.
I managed to mostly fix the magazines by using pliers to extend the spring ends.
It took several trials and almost 2 hours to fix the 3 magazines.

Today, I just turned my AEA HP SS into bolt action in about 30 minutes.
Before that I have spent a few hours researching the AEA HP SS semiauto.

There is even a video from Bin at the Pellet Shop (likely the best AEA dealer) on how to turn the AEA HP into bolt action.
I can only imagine how many complaints he got.
At least he tried to help us, the unfortunate owners of AEA semiauto air guns.

Many complaints all around about the AEA semiauto.

The bolt action is so much smoother than the semiauto, like shooting a PCP instead of a springer :)
In bolt action is much more quiet, better trigger, flatter shot string, no air blasting in your face, no recoil.
The AEA has significant recoil in semiauto mode.

Still even in bolt action the AEA is behind many air guns like the Umarex Notos for instance.
It might be better than the Hatsan Jet, but that does not say much.

The AEA semiauto are the least reliable air gun I have seen and need constant maintenance.

Maybe their new AEA SF line is better, but that is a big maybe !

Reactions: MrP
@nobody1 - sounds like quite the ordeal you went through. Personally, I've only used my AEA HP SS .30 in bolt action (i purchased mine used from another forum member who had already converted it). It's been quite reliable for me. Out of my 3 PCPs (FX Maverick VP, Hatsan Blitz, AEA HP), the AEA is the one I reach for most of the time. I really enjoy how reliable, light, portable, compact, and reasonably accurate my AEA HP SS has been in bolt action. That said, I am still interested in finding a backyard friendly, reliable compact semi-auto in .30cal+. :)

Reactions: Dogowsky
I bought my SS off another member here. His was also in bolt action. According to him that is the way it came (bolt action) from the dealer. Along with the equipment to change over to SA. Bending the springs on the mags is the best way I have found to repair the mags. I don't know why they don't make their HP mags like they do for the Terminator which are made from aluminum. I have had 0 issues with those mags.

I would disagree that the Notos is a better gun than the SS. I have shot the Notos and it is a decent gun for the money but underpowered for hunting anything but birds and chipmunks IMO. The Notos has many plastic parts which helps keep its weight down, but 700 fps doesn't work for my use. Triggers on the Notos can be improved easily though and the left hand lever is nice for a lefty like me. Overall I shoot an AEA everyday and an AEA is the first rifle I reach for also.

Last edited:
I bought a big bore AEA for hunting, it can't be used for that purpose out of the box. Read here if curious: https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/shot-my-510-challenger-bullpup.1297761/ It can be fixed, but the worst thing is barrels are bent. My factory barrel was bent, a replacement barrel was bent. I watch youtube videos with that gun and see bent barrels in them. A 700 fpe hunting rifle sighted in at 50 yards and missing a 19"x25" target completely at 100 yards?.. I perhaps throw rocks better.

My AEA HP semi-auto in .22 took some work to get her working right and it took mags from The Pellet Shop to keep her running but I can empty all 6 mags doing a mag dump on all 6 with perhaps 1 FTF issue.

They are tunable but you do have to spend the time.
My AEA, in semiauto mode, gave me around 30 shots, 2 and a half magazines.

Are you saying that you can shoot about 60 shots/6 AEA magazines on one fill in semiauto mode?
If so, what did you do to yours, the more details the better?

20221223_162558 (2).jpg

Myy carbine came with a 500cc tank. Looks like that is what Firewalker has. I get about 40 rounds out of my tank at full power (900fps 26.8gr) The regulator and plenum appears to give him quit a few more shots. I considered a regulator but want the weight toward the stock and 40 shots is enough for my use. You can lower fps with the adjuster, change the poppet spring and gain a few more shots per tank. You probably will have to cock it to fill . Or pay a couple grand for a FX.

Myy carbine came with a 500cc tank. Looks like that is what Firewalker has. I get about 40 rounds out of my tank at full power (900fps 26.8gr) The regulator and plenum appears to give him quit a few more shots. I considered a regulator but want the weight toward the stock and 40 shots is enough for my use. You can lower fps with the adjuster, change the poppet spring and gain a few more shots per tank. You probably will have to cock it to fill . Or pay a couple grand for a FX.

YES! Not looking for the highest speeds here, I wanted to tune for CPHP's and that's what I got at 850 fps. A LOT less hammer spring, a LOT more shots with the regulator turned down, the plenum is where the magic happens to balance the two.

I'd sell it but it's been worked HARD, nothing broken, it work perfectly but it has wear marks as it has lived its life on the 6X6 and now the tractor. Total trunk-gun now.

One gun I might not even take if someone gave it to me is an aea semi auto. Lol. Well of course I would if given to me but that is literally the only circumstance. I don’t have a lot of faith in the brand overall really. They seem to have fizzled (at least on the forums) since charging onto the scene.
Ye of little faith. There’s quite a few of us still drilling bullseyes with authority from our AEAs. I don’t believe the brand has sizzled.

Absolutely love my pair…

Excuse the parlance ….

Last edited:
Reactions: Vortecsix
I had pretty good luck with my HPSS in 22cal. but I too converted to bolt action for better trigger and accuracy. Mine ran pretty good in semi mode only having mag trouble once in a while. After I bought some new factory mags from The Pellet Shop no more mag trouble. Way more power and shots than my NOTOS. I also have the HPSF in 22cal. and it never jams or has mag trouble.

Most PCPs I own are made in China with some in Turkey.

SnowPeak (Chinese company) makes really good PCPs, including the Umarex Notos.
Nova Vista (Chinese company) makes great PCPs (for the price), the Avenger, Seneca Aspen, Nova Liberty/Freedom, etc
Kral makes really good PCPs, although I prefer regulated.

Whatever PCPs are still made in USA will cost much more for similar (maybe slightly better) performance.

When my bolt stripped out I had just recently worked on it. I adjusted the cylinder toward the barrel to try to get it to cycle at lower PSI. It had some type of fastner on the threads about medium duty. I failed to use a lock tight to adhere it to the rod when I reassembled . My guess is AEA used this to keep the rod bolt assembly from backing out. The threads on my replacement bolt had tight bond on it but I notice it was 1/2 turn loose when I checked it last night.