• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

AEA AEA semiauto after a week of ownership

My own thoughts on AEA airguns after owning many are someone buying one should have some knowledge of PCP airguns and at least be fairly mechanical. What makes them attractive to most newbies is price for features. They are a decent airgun for the money but they do need tinkering from time to time. I think if you don't have some abilities in mechanical things your best off ordering something either more refined (expensive) or more simple like a springer or a PCP that is of a simpler design. I'm not trying to be critical of anyone on here but I think airguns like AEA semis and a Hatsan Blitz may not be an ideal choice for everyone unless the have the money to hire someone to keep them running for them.

Reactions: vtl and nobody1
When my bolt stripped out I had just recently worked on it. I adjusted the cylinder toward the barrel to try to get it to cycle at lower PSI. It had some type of fastner on the threads about medium duty. I failed to use a lock tight to adhere it to the rod when I reassembled . My guess is AEA used this to keep the rod bolt assembly from backing out. The threads on my replacement bolt had tight bond on it but I notice it was 1/2 turn loose when I checked it last night.
I checked my bolt handle and rod and the rod is barely stripped.

I will not spend $15 for the bolt handle, $15 for the rod and almost $10 for shipping.
Those parts will likely fail again soon after I install them.

In bolt action is so much smoother and quieter.

What is even the point of semiauto?

My own thoughts on AEA airguns after owning many are someone buying one should have some knowledge of PCP airguns and at least be fairly mechanical. What makes them attractive to most newbies is price for features. They are a decent airgun for the money but they do need tinkering from time to time. I think if you don't have some abilities in mechanical things your best off ordering something either more refined (expensive) or more simple like a springer or a PCP that is of a simpler design. I'm not trying to be critical of anyone on here but I think airguns like AEA semis and a Hatsan Blitz may not be an ideal choice for everyone unless the have the money to hire someone to keep them running for them.
For many airguns owning them is like owning a Ford Model T.
Your are the driver and the mechanic at the same time.

Reactions: darylm and ba49
Love my aea .25 hp/ss semi. I use it to kill iguanas and the semi auto is a must. I have done a few hunts with the Python Cowboy.
Every time i use the AEA he always comments on how hard it hits!!Double taps are a must with large iguanas. Granted, about half way through every hunt, it fails....that's when the Brocock Atomic comes out.., or the Concept, ..Moral of the story, always be prepared! And if you can't work on your own guns, don't buy one.
Just checking zero before some rats die. Can't wait to get to Florida.

AEA .25 hp-ss 2.JPG

Reactions: darylm and Perle
Had a SS 30 Plus, sold it to buy a Terminator 30. The Terminator was a little ammo picky so I sold that and got a Challenger Pro 30 (awesome gun). Then missed having the SS 30 Plus. Purchased one with a broken valve stem from a member here, got a great price on it, fixed it. Very easy fix.

I do end up tinkering with AEA guns but at least I can somewhat afford them and they pack a punch. Customer service is top notch if you need any assistance.

My first AEA was the Challenger SL 357... ended up selling it because not the most backyard friendly, but I might pick up a Challenger SL in a smaller caliber one of these days.

What’s your projectile weight?
CPHP 14.3 grains.

The original hammer spring was a little too strong and wasting air.
I changed the original hammer spring to something a little weaker: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800219014836.html
I bought the pack of 10 springs, 100mm long, 1.2mm wire, 9mm outer diameter
That spring can also be used in the Umarex Notos/PP750 air guns.

Last edited:
What’s your projectile weight?
Show us your rig
CPHP 14.3 grains.

The original hammer spring was a little too strong and wasting air.
I changed the original hammer spring to something a little weaker: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800219014836.html
I bought the pack of 10 springs, 100mm long, 1.2mm wire, 9mm outer diameter
That spring can also be used in the Umarex Notos/PP750 air guns.
that drops it into the 15-17 fpe zone. That’s less than a Notos.

Having said that how’s the accuracy ?

For me I’ll want to hot rod the SS looking for 28+ fpe in .22

Reactions: Sicumj
Show us your rig

that drops it into the 15-17 fpe zone. That’s less than a Notos.

Having said that how’s the accuracy ?

For me I’ll want to hot rod the SS looking for 28+ fpe in .22
The transfer port power wheel is at about 1/3 from the minimum.

I was looking for 3 magazines of shots, since I only target shoot and I have 3 magazines.

I have chronied my AEA HP SS in 22 again today.

The transfer port/power wheel is about one third from the minimum, hour 10 on clock (9 is the min, 12 is the max).

From about 240 bars to about 150 bars I get 3 magazines ,680 FPS to 725 FPS and back to 680 FPS with CPHP 14.3 grains.

Accuracy is decent, the trigger is single stage and a little too long and heavy.
Accuracy is almost comparable to a Benjamin Prod if you master the trigger.

Most PCPs I own are made in China with some in Turkey.

SnowPeak (Chinese company) makes really good PCPs, including the Umarex Notos.
Nova Vista (Chinese company) makes great PCPs (for the price), the Avenger, Seneca Aspen, Nova Liberty/Freedom, etc
Kral makes really good PCPs, although I prefer regulated.

Whatever PCPs are still made in USA will cost much more for similar (maybe slightly better) performance.
I think that the pp750 is made in the same factory as the notos.. in fact a lot of parts interchange.. I sometimes wish I had gotten the pp750 instead of the notos because the notos is way too long for a pistol with the attached moderator.. would have been 6" shorter with the pp750 but I wanted left side cocking..
isn't the Seneca made in Korea?
Mark