• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Air Venturi Avenger Barrel Alignment

Chuck43

Feb 24, 2024
First, I’m new to PCP rifles, I just got a refurbished Air Venturi Avenger from Pyramyd Air, with the wood stock. Just some background, I’m 80 and have been shooting guns for over 70 years.

I put an Athlon Argos HMR 4-20x50 scope on it and shooting in my basement at 20 yards put 5 shots in a group smaller than a dime. The problem was it was shooting low and to the right of my point of aim. I started adjusting the scope but maxed out the adjustments, still shooting low and to the right.

OK, changed the scope to an Athlon Argos BTR GEN2 6-24x50 scope. Same thing, shooting low and to the right after maxing out the adjustments on the scope.

I removed the cap on the end of the barrel, the shroud and that plastic thing on the barrel. Shooting the gun, my group jumped from low and right to high and left of my point of aim, again shooting very tight groups. Looking at the receiver where the shroud threads on, in the middle of the threads is a small Allen screw. Not knowing what it does I didn’t want to screw up anything, but I inserted an Allen wrench into the screw and could easily turn it both in or out. I left the screw without changing its setting but am wondering if it could affect the barrel alignment? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Looking at the receiver where the shroud threads on, in the middle of the threads is a small Allen screw. Not knowing what it does I didn’t want to screw up anything, but I inserted an Allen wrench into the screw and could easily turn it both in or out. I left the screw without changing its setting but am wondering if it could affect the barrel alignment?

The collar next to the receiver will have little to no effect on biasing the barrel.

To correct the misalignment, you want to look at things that will move the muzzle. Chiefly, the barrel band and to a lesser extent, the shroud spacer. Potentially what is happening is the barrel band is pulling the shroud down and to the right. So for example you may want to look at some form of shimming between the stock and barrel band that will push the barrel band up and to the left to compensate.

However, be aware there have also been some reports of mold flashing on the receiver, under the Picatinny rail, that may prevent the rail from seating fully. Seems less likely in your particular situation, given the result when you removed the shroud but figured it's worth a mention. A couple of prior threads on the topic:

Reactions: Chuck43
Short answer — yes. DonnyFL has (or used to have) a replacement end screw cap piece in metal. I would recommend that if still available. https://donnyfl.com/collections/adapters/products/air-venturi-avenger-extender-1-2-x-20-adapter-a64

I got one and installed it, gun still shot low and to the right.

I leveled the gun in a vise and put a digital angle gauge on the shroud and found it was sloping downward. Looking at the gun from the side, you can see how the gap between the shroud and air reservoir gets smaller as you get closer to the muzzle. The gun has been back at Pyramyd Air for a week now, and I'm hoping for the best. 🤞

It's been a couple of weeks, but I got the gun back after they replaced the barrel and shroud. After recentering my scopes, I put one of them on the gun and dialed it in. The groups aren't as tight as they were with the old barrel, but that is something for me to work on. I'm very happy with my Avenger and the service I received from Pyramyd Air. (y)