• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Resources Be a better Field Target shooter in 15 minutes- Offhand shooting with Paul Cray

Be a better Field Target shooter in 15 minutes
This series offers valuable tips from expert Field Target shooters in a short video interview format. In this episode, Paul Cray gives great advice on shooting offhand and what it takes to become a great shooter on the standing lane.
Great idea Phillip and a great interview! Looking forward to the next one. Uj

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I was squadded with Paul in the day one rifle match when our Yegua (Texas) Airgun Club hosted FT Nationals in 2009; Paul shooting International PCP, and I, Hunter PCP. Having just (that day) become aware of his reputation, I used him as a rabbit to chase for a good score. That strategy worked well; keeping up with him most of the match, I posted the high Hunter Division one-day score of the weekend. However I ended up finishing second on the weekend in Hunter, being "beaten" by a cheater now banned from AAFTA field target. That's not an excuse; it's the reason.

I've attached my match report for 2009 FT Nats. It will provide a LOT of historical reference(s); not to mention a snap-shot of my writing style taken fourteen years ago.

Paul makes many excellent points in the video with which I completely agree. A couple more good points came to me as I watched, however I won't share them here (in order to maintain those advantages over my competition).😂 It's hard enough to beat guys that can kneel while I have to shoot forced Kneeling lanes offhand, without giving those guys more advantages.🤣

However I will share a very profound quote pertinent to offhand shooting from one of the funniest deep-thinkers on my (short) hero-list, Yogi Berra-

"Baseball is 90% mental, and the other half is physical. :unsure:

And another of his profound quotes pertinent to ME specifically-

"I never said most of the things I said." :oops:

RR card copy.jpg

View attachment 2009 Nats for A.H..pdf

Last edited:
Great video!

Sounded like paul might have had some dealings with Joel Turner and his company Shot IQ. Joel is an archery mental coach that has come up with some groundbreaking mental techniques for getting better with a bow. I’m not a competitor but I bet y’all could get some good stuff out of it.

Beau

Reactions: MysticalDragon
Offhand is a Rifle shooters version of GOING FISHING ..... Similar to casting to a specific spot and ability to do so in changing conditions.
Once you know how, it is indeed more a mental exercise in doing it precisely and blocking out as well as one can ... ALL THE EXCUSES your making in your head why in the moment your not feeling it :rolleyes:

Reactions: AirNGasman