• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Best looking bullpup stock?

-1 on the laminate.

If, you are going to go wood and put up with it's limitations then go with a high grade nicely figured Walnut. Or, if you want the piece to look extra interesting and delicious, go with black walnut burl. 

Those artifical laminates are the equivalent of hydro-dipping a stock to pretend it's carbon fiber. 

In terms of shape, what gun is it for and what will you be using it for?

My garage wall is full of bullpup stock blanks which I have been tying out to see what I like for a custom stock for myself so I have a few thoughts on which is most comfortable for each purpose. I'm happy to share.

As far as aesthetics goes, that's personal taste. I find the Daystate Wolverine hard to look at but love bullpups.

The gun is a Mutant Standard and it will be used for paper punching in the woods and a tiny bit of hunting. I know... Bullpups for target shooting? Bullpups is my jam, ain't nobody gonna take that away from me lol.

"zebra"-1 on the laminate.

If, you are going to go wood and put up with it's limitations then go with a high grade nicely figured Walnut. Or, if you want the piece to look extra interesting and delicious, go with black walnut burl. 

Those artifical laminates are the equivalent of hydro-dipping a stock to pretend it's carbon fiber. 

My garage wall is full of bullpup stock blanks which I have been tying out to see what I like for a custom stock for myself so I have a few thoughts on which is most comfortable for each purpose. I'm happy to share.
Due to their construction and epoxy, laminates are more stable and rigid, and less apt to warp, expand, etc due to environmental variables (UV, humidity) so are therefore more "accurate" and are NOT the equivalent of merely hydro-dipping a stock.

If you are going with traditional wood, I would have to agree that a burled walnut or tigerstripe are drop-dead gorgeous, especially those Dave G custom bullpup stocks.

"Erik"As far as aesthetics goes, that's personal taste. I find the Daystate Wolverine hard to look at but love bullpups.

The gun is a Mutant Standard and it will be used for paper punching in the woods and a tiny bit of hunting. I know... Bullpups for target shooting? Bullpups is my jam, ain't nobody gonna take that away from me lol.

"Bullpups for target shooting?"

heh heh. Ted pretty much put that one to bed. %^)

"balllistic"
"zebra"-1 on the laminate.

Due to their construction and epoxy, laminates are more stable and rigid, and less apt to warp, expand, etc due to environmental variables (UV, humidity) so are therefore more "accurate" and are NOT the equivalent of merely hydro-dipping a stock.

If you are going with traditional wood, I would have to agree that a burled walnut or tigerstripe are drop-dead gorgeous, especially those Dave G custom bullpup stocks.
Laminates are still wood and therefore can and do expand and contract with the weather. This is why some laminate stocks delaminate over time.

lamintes can be stronger than natural wood but it largely depends on what wood you are comparing it to and what wood the laminate is made from. Walnut isn't particularly strong but has a decent strength to weight ratio and looks nice. There are plenty of woods which are twice or three times as strong. I have seen some stocks made from Zebrawood, for example. 

The comparison to hydrodipping reffers to the fake pattern and color painted on laminate stocks which are often made from boring cheap birch n stuff. The natural and unique figuring of high grade Walnut is what makes it highly prized by people who know their wood.

if strong and stable is the goal than a good composite stock is the way to go. 

"Erik"As far as aesthetics goes, that's personal taste. I find the Daystate Wolverine hard to look at but love bullpups.

I have no issue with using a bullpup for target shooting. In fact, I have never been able to find the source of the myth that bullpups had a disadvantage in accuracy compared to a regular rifle. They use the same action....

I read that bullpup hate is now considered to be a form of autism by top doctors in Iceland!

In some ways a bullpup has an accuracy advantage with air guns because the barrel has to be shortened on many traditional rifles to make the length manageable once they add a shroud. Daystate guns use 17" barrels, for example, and they are still far longer than my Cricket 25 with it's 23" barrel. Their "extreme" models are real pole vaults. 

I'll take some pics to show you some of the designs I have been experimenting with for the Mutant when I get home later on.