Taipan Firing pin valve - how likely needs to be replaced?

I've had my Taipan Veteran Long for 4 years now. It's discontinued and I don't know how hard it will be to find a firing valve pin for it a few years in the future. For now, they're still in stock and I'm trying to decide if I should buy one for a spare.

How likely are firing pins need to be replaced in general for PCPs? My gun is .22 and came from the factory with the regulator set at 150 bars shooting at 40 FPE. I immediately changed that to 90 bars on the regulator to shoot at 31 FPE when I first got it 4 years ago. This gun is a standby varmint rifle and I've only shot 1200 rounds through it total since I got it. I foresee this shooting habit to continue with this gun in the foreseeable future.

I know some guns that are shot a lot and/or tuned to much higher powers more likely need the pin replaced sooner rather than later. But how about for my use case?

1000014225.jpg

I've got close to 20,000 shots from my Vet Short. All of that from the same valve stem, but I run that one pretty modest, reg pressure of around 125, and fpe output of just under 20fpe for most of those 20,000.

While you may not need a new valve stem for a log time (if ever) you'll be really glad you have it if/when you need it.

Reactions: MushroomPsyche