Other First PCP help

Welcome to AGN! Lots of good information here. Youtube is your friend. The rabbit hole is deep!

I will play the role of devil's advocate and suggest a high quality springer. Air Arms or Weihrauch make self contained rifles and they last forever. No support equipment needed. Excellent two stage trigger, match grade barrel, fully adjustable iron sights.

The Gamo swarm is like a Kia, will get the job done without a lot of fanfare. HW97k or a TX200 are like a BMW or Jaguar, gets the job done in style. Give it to your kids when you get old.

They last forever with minimal support and will give PCP's a run for their money all day long.

Welcome to AGN! Lots of good information here. Youtube is your friend. The rabbit hole is deep!

I will play the role of devil's advocate and suggest a high quality springer. Air Arms or Weihrauch make self contained rifles and they last forever. No support equipment needed. Excellent two stage trigger, match grade barrel, fully adjustable iron sights.

The Gamo swarm is like a Kia, will get the job done without a lot of fanfare. HW97k or a TX200 are like a BMW or Jaguar, gets the job done in style. Give it to your kids when you get old.

They last forever with minimal support and will give PCP's a run for their money all day long.
I left brake barrels long ago.

Hearing of them is like remembering ancient times of frustration and limitations.

But yes, you do not need a 200 usd compressor.

Tried HW 97k in.20 worked fine for hunting, but it got heavy fast.

Went to Daystate Revere in .22. Not too heavy, accurate to 50-60 yds. Quiet.

Shot at squirrel last year. Totally misjudged distance. It ducked, looked up, then went right back to eating the nut. So noise didn’t spook it at all.

Cost may be a little over the OP range, but wanted to let you know what works for me.

Hope you find one you like and it’s satisfies your needs.
There are so many to choose from.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Tried HW 97k in.20 worked fine for hunting, but it got heavy fast.

Went to Daystate Revere in .22. Not too heavy, accurate to 50-60 yds. Quiet.

Shot at squirrel last year. Totally misjudged distance. It ducked, looked up, then went right back to eating the nut. So noise didn’t spook it at all.

Cost may be a little over the OP range, but wanted to let you know what works for me.

Hope you find one you like and it’s satisfies your needs.
There are so many to choose from.
I had a 95 (much lighter) and sold it to get the 97, yes it is a beast.

@cody34packer, the Urban was my first, I own much more expensive PCPs now. But that Urban gives up “nothing” in practical field accuracy to my current stable. My furthest kill, 80 yards on a picket pinning woodchuck. 50 yard chipmunk kills were the norm… the BSA barrel on the Urban has a ”proven” history… A big plus is if your healthy and strong, relatively easy to hand pump. You have the right notion in starting with a PCP that doesn’t require a HPA compressor right off the bat… Good luck, and keep us posted on your decision and experiences going forward.🙏

Reactions: Headshots
At all distances? A PCP will let you take quick follow ups, if necessary. In hunting or pesting situations where more than “one” opportunity is available? PCPs are superior to breaking a barrel or pulling a long lever for the next shot. Yes “springers“ have their rightful place... But it’s understood that PCPs can be easier to shoot accurately for most.

Reactions: coastal drifter
Anything that is around 250cc or less and 3600 psi or less isn't too bad to keep topped off with a hand pump.

I've done much bigger tanked guns at 4500 psi and it's definitely possible, but I worry about the longevity of the pump under those conditions.

You won't be target shooting all day, but you can still sight it in, have some light plinking fun, and hunt with a hand pump.

Also will add that I've never shot a really high end break barrel, but from what I have tried or owned, PCPs are vastly superior. All of my PCPs appear to hold air indefinitely with absolutely no leaks, they are much more accurate, and much more powerful and versatile. They may be somewhat more complex but it's not brain surgery to service them if they ever need it, which in my experience is very rarely. OP said he wants a PCP so I don't know why people are talking about break barrel airguns.

Break barrel airguns are better at exactly one thing: Not needing an external source of HPA.... or if you just like them better for personal reasons. Arguably a good solution for SHTF / gird down small game hunting as well.

Last edited:
You're really putting in the work. I just got into this thinking BB gun... Not knowing that it was this level serious.
You can still do "BB gun" and nothing wrong with that if plinking tins at short range is your thing (I still shoot the low power pellet gun I got as a kid).

If you do a bit of research you will find airguns in power levels suitable for hunting anything from mice to moose. It's just a matter of finding what you want.

Cheers!

Reactions: Bam86
At all distances? A PCP will let you take quick follow ups, if necessary. In hunting or pesting situations where more than “one” opportunity is available? PCPs are superior to breaking a barrel or pulling a long lever for the next shot. Yes “springers“ have their rightful place... But it’s understood that PCPs can be easier to shoot accurately for most.
All of my pesting experience is at 50 yards or less. I only need one shot. Some peanuts to anchor them and Bob's your uncle.

All of my pesting experience is at 50 yards or less. I only need one shot. Some peanuts to anchor them and Bob's your uncle.
We understand that only “one” good shot is required, I missed too many second or third opportunities with springers. So for pesting I prefer the quick multi shot abilities of PCPs. Flick the lever, kill, flick the lever, kill… As opposed to the exaggerated monkey motions that springers require…🙈

Reactions: Impact701
I do plan to keep my break barrel. I love using different things for hunting and trying different things it helps add variety to the experiences. Plus the simplicity of the break barrel is a huge plus sometimes its nice to just have simple pump and shoot. I have got tons of helpful insight through this post and that is what I was hoping for. I like the real life experiences others have shared about the urban which seems to be what I am really leaning towards at this time.

I am sure that there are much better options than the gamo swarm and the pcp's I have listed. I like your car reference, being a huge car guy myself though if you never drive the jaguar or lamborghini you don't know what your missing lol. I am looking to get into the hobby and just see how I like it before jumping in and buying the gem of a airgun.

If you want to up your budget just a bit I would throw the Huben K1 into the mix.

Very Lightweight
Short in OAL
Can be as powerful as you want, or as tame as you want. The gun can easily reach 60ft/lb in a .22
Oh and let's not forget it is a Semi Auto
I have a 2022 in .22 and it absoulutely Loves the new JSB 28.55 pellets

They are very reliable, and if you Ever needed to work on it they are Very easy to work on.

There is a good deal on one in the classifieds right now

If you want to up your budget just a bit I would throw the Huben K1 into the mix.

Very Lightweight
Short in OAL
Can be as powerful as you want, or as tame as you want. The gun can easily reach 60ft/lb in a .22
Oh and let's not forget it is a Semi Auto
I have a 2022 in .22 and it absoulutely Loves the new JSB 28.55 pellets

They are very reliable, and if you Ever needed to work on it they are Very easy to work on.

There is a good deal on one in the classifieds right now
Very lightweight @7.7pds ?
Add some glass, it be pig to carry

Very lightweight @7.7pds ?
Add some glass, it be pig to carry
Mine comes in at 8.9lbs scoped...

I guess my question to you is have you ever shouldered one, or used one in the field?

Yes mine is almost 9 pounds, but the ergonomics and balance of the gun make it more than manageable ...
I guess me being 6'.3", and coming in at 260 on the scale myself may have something to do with it.. size is relative I guess..??