• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Gun cradle or gun cart and pics for ideas.

Good evening everyone. I am about a year into hunter field target. I am having a blast. I have learned a whole lot and will continue to learn every match. This weekend shooting in Texas I learn I need a new way of transporting my gun a gear from station to station. This weekend my cart cost me at least 10 points. During the long walk down a gravel road my gun fell out of my cart. I was able to get back on track after a couple lanes. Then with the walk back down the road my moderator came loose from the vibration during the walk. I would love to see pictures of your cart and or gun cradle set up. Thank you very much. 

For extreme field target where the ranging by focus (and therefore a big honking ridiculous sidewheel) is not necessary, my favorite way to carry my gun is in a padded, zippered case with a shoulder strap. That seems to be the most comfortable and convenient. I do still bring my little cradle to set the gun on during shooting just cuz I don't like it in the dirt. 

When shooting regular field target i carry the gun in the cradle primarily because of the sillyness of the giant wheels we attach to our scopes. The huge sidewheels really create a weak point and potential area for scope damage. In my opinion, the gun cradle route protects the fragile sidewheel attachment from accidentally having pressure exerted upon it and breaking the scopes internal mechanism. I cringe to think about the sidewheel getting pressed against my back in the case I use for XFT, or even getting laid down with the weight of the gun on the wheel in a case on the ground. Photos of my simple cradle are in the topic right below this one. 

I've not gotten into the cart method, and don't plan to. We carry around and generally manage so much junk/equipment during a field target match that I personally drew the line on this side of pushing a baby carriage through the whole course. I've watched guys struggle to maneuver their carts over and around obstacles and all the bumpalumps that their poor guns are taking through all that, bouncing around and getting violently jostled as they go over uneven terrain/rocks...not for me. 

just make a simple cradle for your gun and accessories that you don’t carry in your bucket out of pvc. light and works well for me

D4D1C239-7FDB-4DFF-8910-4482F0C4D12E.1654526907.jpeg
D2733764-10D0-4400-A93B-7C632BB17B62.1654526908.jpeg

Sporting Clays, 3-Gun and Cowboy Action shooters all have dealt with carts for years, check out their niche forums. The Brian Enos shooting forum has dozens of the threads and resources. If you have a Sporting Clays club around post a WTB since those guys are rich and upgrade their gear all the time. 

Off the shelf and more expensive:

https://ruggedgear.com/shooting-carts/

https://rangetacticalgear.com

http://www.gunstrollers.com

https://www.classicusc.com/store/c/1474-Shooting-Carts.aspx

Ideas:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/113786328060138606/

https://www.range365.com/diy-gun-cart/

Here's mine, cheapest jogger baby stroller (big wheels) on Amazon, selective destruction and additions, total still >$100

Eberlestock and cheaper off shored companies sell nice padded gun cases with backpack straps and belt kits if you don't like strollers. 

20191029_3gunshootingcart_0007.1654560246.jpg
20191029_3gunshootingcart_0022.1654560291.jpg

I use an https://eberlestock.com/collections/shooting/products/upranger for big days, very organized and protected, simply throw into the seat of the stroller.

this is the best i've seen , everything is right there no digging for anythingView attachment 387004
I used to put my gun on the side like that until I watched it slowly tip over on a very small side slope.
So I moved it to the center of the cart, and last Saturday I watched the gun slowly slide off of the cart on a bouncy gravel path. So now I'm refiguring the whole thing.
Guess how many targets I hit after dumping the gun (and breaking the air stripper)? I'll give you a hint. It rhymes with "won".

As too JOGGING STROLLERS .... Not that it matters to some, or never seen it etc .... THEY FALL OVER or can easily get BLOWN OVER because of the very high and in some cases weight bias to one side center of gravity.
Sadly have witnessed first hand several such tri-wheel strollers dump there cargo into the dirt/rocks etc and screwing up some pretty nice AG's in the process & owners shortly there after threw away there stroller carts for a lower CG cart style / design.

Maybe get ALL your stuff and then decide what Type "carry all" you need or want ? And how your going to transport said carryall , (back seat after mud day )
Carry ... for FUN shoots might be fine for some ... Personally found the fatigue of arm stretch, clinched fists holding the bulk & weight of said gear compounded by walking slightly off balance is a bad combo for competitive venues where being relaxed & limber pays dividends in better scores.

Thus why many build carts to begin with & reloads the Q ... whats the best cart design :rolleyes:

Carry ... for FUN shoots might be fine for some ... Personally found the fatigue of arm stretch, clinched fists holding the bulk & weight of said gear compounded by walking slightly off balance is a bad combo for competitive venues where being relaxed & limber pays dividends in better scores.

Thus why many build carts to begin with & reloads the Q ... whats the best cart design :rolleyes:
Carry All was meant to be All types . Cart , box , frame , whatever. One of the easiest i saw was a shoulder strap for a bum bag and a pellet pouch around his neck , and a sling on the rifle . and he wore a kneepad .

I have a gun box that attaches to a jogging stroller. I had a tump over with the gun rests attached to the side of the stroller so I wanted to get the gun lower and centered in the cart. Hence the gun box sitting on the stroller. Worked great for a while, but I had another gun dump at my last shoot because the gun wasn't secure in the shooting box.
I've 3D printed new gun rests that attach to the side of the gun box for better security, but I'm leery of using the same setup. I thought about making a cradle where I could secure the hard case to the cart, but I would have to re-attach the moderator for every lane. Or I might add a bungee that would go over the gun in the gun box. Worst case scenario, I'll go back to just carrying the gun box and dealing with having one arm longer than the other. One is already more muscular, but that's from a different hobby.

Archery! What did you think I was talking about, sicko?

Carry All was meant to be All types . Cart , box , frame , whatever. One of the easiest i saw was a shoulder strap for a bum bag and a pellet pouch around his neck , and a sling on the rifle . and he wore a kneepad .
And .... how well did or does he shoot ?

You will find that those FT competitors that generally shoot well and are nearly always shooting well have a very defined & regimented miens to carry there gear, use there gear and operate lane to lane near machine like .... Take note ;)

Reactions: cavedweller
For extreme field target where the ranging by focus (and therefore a big honking ridiculous sidewheel) is not necessary, my favorite way to carry my gun is in a padded, zippered case with a shoulder strap. That seems to be the most comfortable and convenient. I do still bring my little cradle to set the gun on during shooting just cuz I don't like it in the dirt.

When shooting regular field target i carry the gun in the cradle primarily because of the sillyness of the giant wheels we attach to our scopes. The huge sidewheels really create a weak point and potential area for scope damage. In my opinion, the gun cradle route protects the fragile sidewheel attachment from accidentally having pressure exerted upon it and breaking the scopes internal mechanism. I cringe to think about the sidewheel getting pressed against my back in the case I use for XFT, or even getting laid down with the weight of the gun on the wheel in a case on the ground. Photos of my simple cradle are in the topic right below this one.

I've not gotten into the cart method, and don't plan to. We carry around and generally manage so much junk/equipment during a field target match that I personally drew the line on this side of pushing a baby carriage through the whole course. I've watched guys struggle to maneuver their carts over and around obstacles and all the bumpalumps that their poor guns are taking through all that, bouncing around and getting violently jostled as they go over uneven terrain/rocks...not for me.
I’m beginning to think this way also and am considering hiring someone to carry my stuff and fan my scope when it is hot.