• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gun cradle or gun cart and pics for ideas.

And .... how well did or does he shoot ?

You will find that those FT competitors that generally shoot well and are nearly always shooting well have a very defined & regimented miens to carry there gear, use there gear and operate lane to lane near machine like .... Take note ;)
👆so I’m learning!!!
Two months ago, a wise old sage of airguns and FT related things, warned me about high weight distribution on a "BOB stroller or other carry all cart". Sure enough, i turned my back on my full cart and palooompa over it tumped fortunately nothing was injured or scratched as it was in the grass... but the point is this: However you setup/design your carry all, make sure the weight is low low low to the ground or the wind will treat you like it's play toy and you too can have thousands of dollars worth of toys strewn all over the ground.
Heckling permitted.

Last edited:
IMG_5751.jpeg
IMG_5747.jpeg

Reactions: Michael
As too JOGGING STROLLERS .... Not that it matters to some, or never seen it etc .... THEY FALL OVER or can easily get BLOWN OVER because of the very high and in some cases weight bias to one side center of gravity.
Sadly have witnessed first hand several such tri-wheel strollers dump there cargo into the dirt/rocks etc and screwing up some pretty nice AG's in the process & owners shortly there after threw away there stroller carts for a lower CG cart style / design.
Dang that would suck! I haven't experienced that, maybe because I carry a 90 cu ft bottle and other items in the bottom to weigh it down. But thanks for the warning, I'll have to keep an eye on weight distribution (y)

One of the downsides to a jogger is that I have to drag it backwards over rough terrain.

Reactions: Centercut
20230911_152712.jpg

20230911_152630.jpg

20230911_152450.jpg

This is my squirrel hunting rig that I also use for AHFT. My squirrel / AHFT gun is a P-Rod with a Tom West stock. The cart is a YUCA frisbee golf cart. The pack is a Swiss Army travel pack. I carry the P-Rod and sticks in a soft case. The trails in our state game lands are narrow, rocky and steep. This cart is narrow and can be pushed or pulled over rough ground. The pack carries two MSA air tanks, lunch, two liters of water, and tools as well as a rain tarp. It also doubles as a chair. The two blue handles are used to hang my soft case when I am hunting or waiting my turn at a lane.

I have seen some nice FT guns fall out of baby carts or roll over with the cart, so I always carry my gun in a soft case at FT shoots in the same way I hunt. The P-Rod needs topped off after 20 shots so with the cart I can top off anywhere on the course.

Last edited:
For extreme field target where the ranging by focus (and therefore a big honking ridiculous sidewheel) is not necessary, my favorite way to carry my gun is in a padded, zippered case with a shoulder strap. That seems to be the most comfortable and convenient. I do still bring my little cradle to set the gun on during shooting just cuz I don't like it in the dirt.

When shooting regular field target i carry the gun in the cradle primarily because of the sillyness of the giant wheels we attach to our scopes. The huge sidewheels really create a weak point and potential area for scope damage. In my opinion, the gun cradle route protects the fragile sidewheel attachment from accidentally having pressure exerted upon it and breaking the scopes internal mechanism. I cringe to think about the sidewheel getting pressed against my back in the case I use for XFT, or even getting laid down with the weight of the gun on the wheel in a case on the ground. Photos of my simple cradle are in the topic right below this one.

I've not gotten into the cart method, and don't plan to. We carry around and generally manage so much junk/equipment during a field target match that I personally drew the line on this side of pushing a baby carriage through the whole course. I've watched guys struggle to maneuver their carts over and around obstacles and all the bumpalumps that their poor guns are taking through all that, bouncing around and getting violently jostled as they go over uneven terrain/rocks...not for me.
I hate to say this, but I'm in agreement with @Franklink. Carry the gun in a case or in a caddy.

I (and many many others) use the BOB Stoller, modified to carry one or two guns. They work great, but like @Michael said, you need to ensure you have enough weight onboard (like a 45 or 60 minute SCBA tank) to keep the weight low. I also keep a heavy bolster in the area where the baby's feet would usually be to act as a weight to keep weight and COG low. I've never had any issues and I've been using it for years...

After having my heart broken a couple of times by strollers, I'm sticking with the gun box for now. I've seen some of the Oklahoma guys use a box that has a neat design (maybe Curtis N?). Basically, it's like the attached photo with a shallow box at the base and a couple of feet for stability. If I recall correctly, the top is a wooden handle instead of ropes. The cut out for a gun at the top isn't there, it's just the lower cut out. My next gun box will be something like this.

tc22.jpg

And Jeff probably recommends a case because he has a case that was hand made by French nuns and lined with titanium fabric. After adding a big wheel, hamster and butt hook, getting a gun in and out of a case for every lane is not something I want to do.

• Haha
Reactions: drsquall
OLD post ....

Seeing the baby carriage guys struggle in matches in places like this dissuaded me from that route.
Screenshot_20231025-161419.png

At an established shooting range with a pleasant little foot path and the lane markers one step off each side of the graveled trail .....I can see the logic in the baby stroller for those types of ft matches.