• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

H&N Baracuda FT pellets (177)

I ordered a tin of H&N Baracuda FT pellets recently to try in my P35-177. It's highest 30 yard challenge target was a 194 with 4.52 head size H&N Baracuda Match. So I know it likes H&Ns. I got the tin and have shot several targets with them, the best is a 197. But the second best is a 192. So was I just lucky on the 197? Not really sure. But I shot a lot of the match pellets to get the 194 and am still in my first tin of the FTs so I think the gun likes the FTs better. The FTs are sold as 9.57 grain (versus 10.6 for the Match) and the tin I got is labeled 4.51 head size.

I just put the last 72 pellets from the first tin through my pellet gage. 64 are 4.52 head size and 8 are 4.53. That is not the 4.51 of the label but is really good consistency. I measured 20 of the 4.5 Match pellets and got 7 at 4.5, 5 at 4.49, 5 at 4.48, 2 at 4.47, and 1 at 4.46. I measured 20 of the 4.52 match and got 4 at 4.53, 10 at 4.52, and 6 at 4.51. So the FTs seem more consistent in head size than the Baracuda Match. I measured some Baracuda Power (copper plated) and they were good for consistency but the gun didn't like them. 8 at 4.52, 10 at 4.51, and one each at 4.5 and 4.49. I also measured some Baracuda 4.5 head size and got 5 different head sizes with most (7) 4.52 or 4.51 (6). I did not write down any JSB 10.3s so I don't know about their head size. From how they shoot and load I think they are like the 4.50 Match. My P35 doesn't like them much. I did investigate 3 tins of Crosman 10.5s. The tin that shot well had 5 head sizes from 4.51 to 4.55. The two "bad" tins were all the way from 4.55 to 4.46 head size. My gun did not like the "bad" tins at all.

I also weighted the 8 4.53 head size FTs. They were 9.6-9.8 grains.

I shot my previous best (a 194) with the 4.52 head size Match pellets but it was only 3 points higher than the 4.50 head size Match and JSB 10.3s. My gun seems to like a little bigger head size. I found in testing the Crosmans and Match H&Ns that different head sizes shoot to a little different point of impact in this gun. I will probably try that with the FTs tomorrow. I'm not sure if the .01 head size difference will really affect things. I've been shooting all my 30 yard challenge targets with unsorted pellets but if it matters, I will sort.

H&N Baracuda FT.jpg

Not really sure I have a problem. If the two head sizes I found shoot to the same point of impact at 30 yards I will have to decide any issue is with my shooting. Not at all unlikely. If they shoot to different points of impact, it would seem to mean some non-10s could be pellets and I should head size sort for the best possible score. But either way the FTs are good pellets with less variation than most others I have examined.

As planned, I shot all 8 of the .453 head size and an equivalent number of the .452 predominant head size this evening. I was waiting for the wind to die down and it did some but there was still a gentle breeze at about 2 O'clock (toward me and left to right). The .453 are in block 11 with the target on the left a 5 shot group and the one on the right a 3 shot. I did the same thing with the .452 in the 12 block.

I don't think they impact at a different point but both the 5 and 3 shot group with the .452s seems a little tighter. I will shoot a target with the .452s next. I still may not sort them in the future but how I do with the sorted .452s will influence that. For general shooting I am comfortable not sorting the question is just if I can raise my 30 yard challenge score a little with sorting. I measured velocity while shooting these groups. The .452 might have been a couple fps slower but all except the first shot were 87? velocity. The first shot was 865. This gun doesn't love it when I turn the hammer spring down 5% from the peak. But even though it's about 10 fps slower it impacts at the same place (at 30 yards).

This target was at 30 yards which is where I shoot the 30 yard challenge targets. I wish my 30 yard groups looked like those 7 yard groups.

.453 vs .452 FTs.jpg