• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Most Accurate Moderator

Absolutely some are more accurate than others, and this heavily depends upon intended use versus moderator design intent.

I’ve tested MANY moderators over the years and there have been some incredible stand outs. One in particular that’s no longer available and some I’ve tested over the past year; including one recently from Old Spook that is almost unbelievably accurate!!!!
I'm looking for mostly backyard plinking and pest control. Any recommendations beyond the Old Spook? I'll check it out.

It is really hard to call any particular moderator “most accurate” across a wide range of rifles. If you try different moderators on your rifle, you might see one be more accurate and then try the same one on another rifle and get another answer. The weight can act sort of like a tuner as well, affecting your harmonics, thus affecting accuracy.

I am confused how "intended use" can affect accuracy. Weather a rifle is for hunting or target shooting, shouldn't make a difference. Accuracy is accuracy. Correct? Wether it's shooting a squirrels head or a dime sized red dot on paper. And if intended use did affect accuracy, then why do we zero in hunting rifles on paper target's at all. That is not the intended use..... See my problem with that statement? My "intended use" for both of my Taipan 25s are pesting, but they shoot accurately on paper. They are accurate. Period. Not stirring anything up, just would maybe like a better explanation. Thanks.
Good point

I don’t want to jack your thread but I wanted to ask the crowd a moderator related question..

How does an oversized Mod ,IE a .25 cal moderator used on a .177, affect accuracy ??
FWIW, the newer STO Pugio has an exit hole that is compatible with .177-.30. Many members here appear to use one size higher than the rifle they shoot. Even DFL suggests using a mod that is one size larger. In my experience, clipping is going to affect accuracy more than air turbulence

FWIW, the newer STO Pugio has an exit hole that is compatible with .177-.30. Many members here appear to use one size higher than the rifle they shoot. Even DFL suggests using a mod that is one size larger. In my experience, clipping is going to affect accuracy more than air turbulence

Thank you. Ultimately my goal was to avoid any clipping hence my upped sized moderators. But then I got to thinking of the law of Diminishing returns…

” Too much space , so some turbulence that could cause degradation in accuracy.”

Last edited:
Interesting .
A long time ago i built a mod using 1.25 diameter washers with a .50 center hole . Slipped it over the .177 PCP barrel and it did quiet the gun down a bit. But then i stuck blue painters tape over the end and just shot .177 pellet through the tape and made a striking difference in the noise level .
EDIT oops : POI remained the same with or without the mod .

Last edited:
One mod which has proven to give me issue on about 50% of airguns tested is the DonnyFL Koi. Don't know why but it's really thrown off a few airguns.
Ones which have been quite accurate for me are the STO Falx (for me more effective on unshrouded rather than shrouded), the Huma Mod 30, the Hugget Atom (great on lower power guns especially with some kind of shroud), the new EdGun Behemoth.

It is really hard to call any particular moderator “most accurate” across a wide range of rifles. If you try different moderators on your rifle, you might see one be more accurate and then try the same one on another rifle and get another answer. The weight can act sort of like a tuner as well, affecting your harmonics, thus affecting accuracy.
Thanks. I figured as much but trying to see which ones consistently pop up as recommendations since I'm just starting off and want to prioritize which ones to get. But this was what I was guessing.

Absolutely some are more accurate than others, and this heavily depends upon intended use versus moderator design intent.

I’ve tested MANY moderators over the years and there have been some incredible stand outs. One in particular that’s no longer available and some I’ve tested over the past year; including one recently from Old Spook that is almost unbelievably accurate!!!!
Is that the one I just sent for your brother?