• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Springer races?

I was thinking about timed scoring. Is there a thing for that? I was timing shots. Averaging between 7-12 seconds per. Is there a scoring race target system? I'm wondering if that's a thing for any of the other classes now too...🧐I know there are time limits....but say someone gets more shots off faster AND more accurate?is that a thing to score?🤷‍♂️...thoughts?

20220911_171700.jpg

You know, some 10 years back I used to practice "quick-scoping/sighting" a lot, with my only two springers, the QB-57 and a Magtech AR, both in .177, at 25 yards on a 12 ounce beer/soda can; The idea was to bring the gun up from a low-ready stance and align the sights/reticle in the scope with the soda can at 25 yds, as fast you could. Beyond 25-30yds (at max) it was quite unmanageable for me to hit anything really fast, so I've kind of given up on the challenge afterwards. But it was really good fun, especially if there were friends with me, since we could sync-up the shots on the targets and then check who was faster - of course we timed the shots.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
You know, some 10 years back I used to practice "quick-scoping/sighting" a lot, with my only two springers, the QB-57 and a Magtech AR, both in .177, at 25 yards on a 1 once beer/soda can; The idea was to bring the gun up from a low-ready stance and align the sights/reticle in the scope with the soda can at 25 yds, as fast you could. Beyond 25-30yds (at max) it was quite unmanageable for me to hit anything really fast, so I've kind of given up on the challenge afterwards. But it was really good fun, especially if there were friends with me, since we could sync-up the shots on the targets and then check who was faster - of course we timed the shots.
Yessss that would rock!🤗

1 once beer/soda can
Dude, that is a TINY can. Is that missing a "2" after the "1"??

Educate me; don't belittle me.
I assume he is talking about getting your finger caught in the "bear trap". I would say that "rushing" the steps for a springer has a bit larger chance of failing than something else. My $0.02 :rolleyes:

I assume he is talking about getting your finger caught in the "bear trap". I would say that "rushing" the steps for a springer has a bit larger chance of failing than something else. My $0.02 :rolleyes:
Aw see that's what I mean; I was averaging 7-12 seconds.
I wasnt loading like a maniac; just steady plinking and decoded to time it🤷‍♂️ doing the 3 second and reset on aiming would give me what 4 seconds to load? And I was using a pellet pen on the faster resulting tests. So what 3 seconds to cock seems like a great deal of time to me🤷‍♂️I wasn't timing my cocking strokes..

That last part came out so bad😅
So let's let's 15 seconds per shot max time limit race? If you go over; forfeit that shot. Seems like a pretty reasonable time table to me 🤣🤷‍♂️🤪🤙

Aw see that's what I mean; I was averaging 7-12 seconds.
I wasnt loading like a maniac; just steady plinking and decoded to time it🤷‍♂️ doing the 3 second and reset on aiming would give me what 4 seconds to load
Most of my PCPs now have magazines, so I shoot pretty fast as I am always trying to shoot a can at a certain point that is spinning in the wind...so I have to be pretty quick on the trigger. As we discussed in the April Shooting Challenge, I was averaging around 5 seconds a shot...and I was taking my time to get accuracy. So you are only 2ish seconds above that time, which is really fast for a springer, IMHO.

I think that if there was a classification for this category, you would be one of the front-runners for sure!

Cheers!

Jonathan

• Love

Of course, I forgot to add a 2 behind that 1, wrote 1 instead of 12 ounces, sorry for that, but you had the idea what I meant.
This is what we drink first and shoot later...

1683287172447.png

Mostly at least, sometimes we forget to hydrate ourselves and and leave the can in the sun.
When we get back, the can swells and then it's a really nice expoding target afterward ;)

Maybe somthing here or others

https://competitions.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/PAR/par-book.pdf

20Sec. 7. Courses of Fire .........................................21 Sec. 8. Time Limits ..............................................26 Sec. 9. Competition Regulations and Range Operation ........................................27 Sec. 10. Range Control and Commands .................31 Sec. 11.

Mr. Toasty
Speed and springers are usually not a good mix. Most springers are not finger friendly. You can argue that tap loaders are the exception...HW 57 is the only tap loader I'm aware of. I'm sure there are others. Even with that model, it's easy to get your finger/hand caught in the cocking arm if you are speeding things up.
Your fingers are at high risk as you are loading pellets. Adding speed to the mix is not a good idea. This picture below was from this forum. I'm sure there are others online.

Strange that I still see people loading springers on youtube (and other videos) and not keeping a hand on the barrel or cocking arm for safety. I cringe when I see barrels or cocking arms flopping around (you know the main spring has been compressed) and their fingers near the trigger. It just spreads this false sense of security that since these are not firearms...it's only BB guns (a toy)...it's not going to hurt us or others.

Guess the message is not getting out there that most of these springers are finger guillotine.

1691026188861.png

I know there are speed shooting events like action pistol...cowboy shooting event etc....I don't shoot those...I'm sure there are a lot of safety procedures in place. Not gonna comment on those.

Last edited:
Mr. Toasty
Speed and springers is usually not a good mix. Most springers are not finger friendly. You can argue that tap loaders are the exception...HW 57 is the only tap loader I'm aware of. I'm sure there are others. Even with that model, it's easy to get your finger/hand caught in the cocking arm if you are speeding things up.
Your fingers are at high risk as you are loading pellets. Adding speed to the mix is not a good idea. This picture below was from this forum. I'm sure there are others online.

View attachment 377676

I know there are speed shooting events like action pistol...cowboy shooting event etc....no comment on those.
Oooookie dokie now😅
Maybe not a race then...maybe instead; a time limit per shot, or only so many shots allowed. I in NO way want ANYONE to get an injury of ANY sort while trying to have fun. 😟