• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

sun shade question?

I got the sun shades for my Athlon scopes, Not sure if its just my old eyes are not but I cant tell any difference with or with out the sun shade,,, Is it just to reduce the glare of the sun
if so it dont work on my scopes, I am talking about the 3 to 4 inch screw on the front of the scope,, Feel free to tell me what yours does for you,,
OK you can put this in the dumb question optics.. LOL.
Mike

Reactions: Ranchibi
Oh they work.
I shoot field target and sometimes those devious match directors intentionally place targets where the sun's glare just wash out the target and your cross hair. You look thru your scope and it's just one big blast of white light.

Learned my lesson after the first few matches. Now I got a sun shade on my scope and I bring a hat with a brim ...just in case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Ten-Beers
I am facing east when I shoot from my bench to my trap at home. In the morning, there are times I just cannot shoot without a sunshade on the scope and a hat with a brim. I tried a honeycomb that came on one of my scopes and it did not do anything for me. But the long sunshade that came with my Arken works great. It lets me see the target when the sun is low in the sky and would otherwise produce too much glare for me to see.

In the afternoon I do not need it at all. If I was shooting north or south I probably would not need it either. If you do not have one for a scope you want to use and want to see the effect, tape some light cardboard over the end of the scope making a tube. Not nearly as elegant but functionally pretty much the same thing.

As discussed in the field target example, when you need them, they are very handy (but if I got caught without one I would look for a little cardboard and tape).