• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Taipan Taipan Veteran II Tactical aka Ugly Fat Pig

I don’t think Taipan ‘needs’ to shorten the tube. The current configuration is not a result of a fashion choice.

Go to the Taipan website. There are animations showing the construction of both the Standard and the Tactical model. These show that the primary differences are the stocks, the former the fuller more traditional furniture stripped off and replaced by the minimalist ‘rail’ with the same trigger assembly mounted directly to it on the Tactical model. Both use the same ‘air tube’ (plenum I assume) on both models, and the 300cc air tube on the standard replaced by the 480cc Kevlar bottle on a drop down fitting to clear the barrel/moderator on the Tactical. The same animation shows the two different lengths of moderator screwed on the end of the barrel, so they are interchangeabl.

The drop down and forward placement of the air bottle is to accommodate the half again larger boost in air capacity and not the aesthetic choice that you criticize. Again, simply form over function and I for one prefer to pick my guns for their increased function not how they look. YMMV. David
It’s obvious they didn’t make the decision based on aesthetic. What I’m trying to figure out is what’s the “form” benefit here? As in why is that tube so long? Where is the regulator? Is the whole tube apart of the main reservoir or is it all plenum?

dnovo- can you remove the bottle without degassing? Also can you remove the shroud for a picture of where the barrel ended at? thanks,
As requested.

IMG_0885.jpeg

dnovo- can you remove the bottle without degassing? Also can you remove the shroud for a picture of where the barrel ended at? thanks,
Don’t know if the bottle is removable and neither the manual or the website has that information. It doesn’t look like it however and I’m not inclined to experiment. David

Last edited:
It’s obvious they didn’t make the decision based on aesthetic. What I’m trying to figure out is what’s the “form” benefit here? As in why is that tube so long? Where is the regulator? Is the whole tube apart of the main reservoir or is it all plenum?
Is there a point to these inquiries? This is verging on trolling now. If you are interested in purchasing I’d ask Tony or another Taipan dealer and if not, then learn to live with disappointment 🙄. David

Folks, there is a difference between legitimate curiosity and trolling. And yes, I am occasionally VERY rude so consider me suitably rebuked for the last remark. David
The moment you decide to post a picture of your gun, you should be prepared for comments. Currently AGN has no rule in place that we all must like every gun we see. I’ve been a Taipan owner since 2017 and I love my gun. Always planned to get another one someday especially if they ever built a semi bullpup. Not semi automatic, just moved everything forward like a Brocock. The model you posted a picture of looks like it was built by a high school shop class. Don’t get mad, you didn’t build it. It’s just opinions and curiosity trying to understand why Taipan did what they did.

The moment you decide to post a picture of your gun, you should be prepared for comments. Currently AGN has no rule in place that we all must like every gun we see. I’ve been a Taipan owner since 2017 and I love my gun. Always planned to get another one someday especially if they ever built a semi bullpup. Not semi automatic, just moved everything forward like a Brocock. The model you posted a picture of looks like it was built by a high school shop class. Don’t get mad, you didn’t build it. It’s just opinions and curiosity trying to understand why Taipan did what they did.
Comments, sure. Trolling, no, and there is a difference.

I wasn’t upset by the ugly comments or any of the opinions such as you are expressing above. It’s clear that you and other Taipan fans were put off by the Tactical’s appearance. That’s common any time a manufacturer introduces a new and radically different model. Consider the firestorm when Daystate introduced the Pulsar, a HUGE deviation from their traditional line and, along with its slightly less radical half brother, the first and last Daystate Bullpup. The Tactical may be like the Pulsar if the Taipan buyers vote with their pocketbook and sales reflect that. If the model sells well, the Tactical may stay in the line and eventually have descendants.

However, the repetition of the same comments over and over just to get a rise out of the readers is trolling. I’m new to this group but as an old fart who has spent a far amount of time on a number of other groups with my other interests, I have seen too many groups where the free exchange of good information gets lost in the clutter of trolling. I have learned a lot by reading the majority of the postings here and the exchange of information I have found is invaluable. The trolling that has surfaced in this thread is another story.

Well now that that is off my chest I see the Sun just came out here so I’m out to see how the Tactical shoots.

David

Reactions: Sean_Eason
Comments, sure. Trolling, no, and there is a difference.

I wasn’t upset by the ugly comments or any of the opinions such as you are expressing above. It’s clear that you and other Taipan fans were put off by the Tactical’s appearance. That’s common any time a manufacturer introduces a new and radically different model. Consider the firestorm when Daystate introduced the Pulsar, a HUGE deviation from their traditional line and, along with its slightly less radical half brother, the first and last Daystate Bullpup. The Tactical may be like the Pulsar if the Taipan buyers vote with their pocketbook and sales reflect that. If the model sells well, the Tactical may stay in the line and eventually have descendants.

However, the repetition of the same comments over and over just to get a rise out of the readers is trolling. I’m new to this group but as an old fart who has spent a far amount of time on a number of other groups with my other interests, I have seen too many groups where the free exchange of good information gets lost in the clutter of trolling. I have learned a lot by reading the majority of the postings here and the exchange of information I have found is invaluable. The trolling that has surfaced in this thread is another story.

Well now that that is off my chest I see the Sun just came out here so I’m out to see how the Tactical shoots.

David
Hi David , congratulations for your gun . I don't find it ugly or fat at all . In fact I'm to the point to buy the same model in .22 , so I would like to have your opinion on , for me , the most important things : accuracy and consistency . Is this gun really accurate at long range ( 100 yards ) compared to Kakibrgun or AGT Vulcan ? Thanks

Is there a point to these inquiries? This is verging on trolling now. If you are interested in purchasing I’d ask Tony or another Taipan dealer and if not, then learn to live with disappointment 🙄. David
The point is to discuss a new platform. If you can’t answer the questions then you can just say you don’t know instead of being sensitive thinking I’m trolling you. I didn’t even call your gun a porker or any other names and I’m getting called the troll 😂

Hi David , congratulations for your gun . I don't find it ugly or fat at all . In fact I'm to the point to buy the same model in .22 , so I would like to have your opinion on , for me , the most important things : accuracy and consistency . Is this gun really accurate at long range ( 100 yards ) compared to Kakibrgun or AGT Vulcan ? Thanks
So I just ducked outside to pop off a few rounds. The storm that just passed through left some high winds rolling in across Lake Michigan out of the NE so even the heavy .25s I loaded up with are only going to buck the wind so much so accuracy questions will have to wait. Four mags through functioned flawlessly. The pellets feed easily and the action feels very precise, but that’s all I can say at this point other than it wasn’t that heavy to haul in and out in a high wind 😏

Don‘t own a Vulcan or an Kalibr so I can’t answer on that score and,whoops, here comes another storm rolling in . . .

David

Last edited:
The point is to discuss a new platform. If you can’t answer the questions then you can just say you don’t know instead of being sensitive thinking I’m trolling you. I didn’t even call your gun a porker or any other names and I’m getting called the troll 😂
“ I didn’t even call your gun a porker and I’m getting called the troll 😂” Damn decent of you.

I’ve seen no trolling, just curiosity. Like did they decide to hang that bottle out in the wind because they want to be the new king of plenums or is the tube storing additional air. Maybe all your time on other forums has made you hypersensitive. Taipan has their crap together when it comes to building guns, us trolls are just trying to figure out why they chose such an awkward build on this model. Like someone mentioned, they could have still had plenty of plenum and tucked the bottle in closer for a nicer little package.

I’ve seen no trolling, just curiosity. Like did they decide to hang that bottle out in the wind because they want to be the new king of plenums or is the tube storing additional air. Maybe all your time on other forums has made you hypersensitive. Taipan has their crap together when it comes to building guns, us trolls are just trying to figure out why they chose such an awkward build on this model. Like someone mentioned, they could have still had plenty of plenum and tucked the bottle in closer for a nicer little package.

As the last of the storms have blown out and the Sun has returned, I can now try to answer some of the above. First, the question as to 100 yard accuracy asked by the potential purchaser will have to wait. The wind is still fairly strong but at least steady so I could try for some testing but at my 40 yd targets only. As a comparison however I set my .25 Airmaks Katran Long up alongside the Taipan, both having the same general configuration (’tactical’ style, 700 mm barrels, Czech built) and both using some JTS Dead Center pellets 29.3 gr. I forgot to take a picture of the two of them side by side but the pic below I posted a few weeks ago shows they are kin.

The Taipan sighted in very quickly and performed at least as well as the Katran at the same range. Neither of them could produce the classic one ragged hole consistently given the wind but using my calm weather testing of the Katran as a yardstick I’d say the Taipan should do everything you want at 100. I’d go with the .25 over the .22 however as you may have more consistency with the latter at longer ranges.

Second observation regarding why the bottle on the Tactical may be a better choice than the smaller air tube on the regular model: shot count. I filled the Tactical up to the full maximum of 300bar (the manual says 175-250 is the ‘ideal’ fill). Tony had tuned it at my request to favor accuracy and shot count over raw power. After a bit over 100 shots I was still hovering around 185 bar. By this point, the tube under the Katran had dropped down below the usable level and needed a shot from my buddy bottle to stay in the game. So while the big bottle stuck out there may not be as attractive to some as the tube on the standard model, the trade-off I presume i
lies In an enhanced shot count.

My next observation, is this the more I used the gun, the more smoothly the action functioned. Since this is my first Taipan the system they use to drop in and release the magazines was a pleasant surprise. Easily the best I have ever used.The magazines drop in and lock in place with no effort and remain in place until you pull back the cocking lever and toggle the magazine release. Very slick and leading to a flawless feed, in contrast to many other manufacturers.

All in all a superb product that I am looking forward to using for a long time. The build quality is absolutely top-of-the-line, something reflected in the slick and flawless shooting experience I enjoyed today.

Finally, as to why Taipan chose to build this rifle in a manner that some of you find unfortunate I do not have an answer. I don’t know why they did what they did, but I do know that I am not disturbed by its looks at all and would not change anything if it was up to me.

Of course, YMMV.

David (see the photos from earlier post on the Katran. I DO like long guns.)

IMG_0877.jpeg

IMG_0875.jpeg

IMG_0876.jpeg

I'm sure the Vet 2 is a robust, reliable platform if Taipan put their name on it.... it is their translation of "giving the people what they want" and trying to continue selling guns with features demanded by the current generation of buyers.

Me, I do not mind the rear cocking, expecially for a heavy bench gun. I prefer the lines of the OG Veteran. But I am not a new gun buyer, thus my tastes are meaningless to a company like Taipan.

I can envision that tank block hanging off of the front of an OG Veteran gray laminate stock, just ahead of the forward mounting screw, with the regulator right behind the tank block, and a 700mm barrel. That would be my ideal Veteran 2.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Congratulations @dnovo and best of luck with your new rifle.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think your new rifle looks just fine.

The AirForce Texan LSS CF I use is definitely the least attractive rifle I own, but that is irrelevant to my intended purpose. I look upon it as merely a tool to quietly and humanely dispatch feral hogs and armadillos on my property. In .457 it works quite well and that is all that matters to me.

858A6CB7-2ED0-410A-96AA-1253C5171700.jpeg

You should like it they are very well built. I own a few mutants and a few veteran and have hesitated until now to try the Vet 2 and I am pleasantly impressed. I transformed my Std into a tactical and my tactical into an even heavier porker good for bensch shooting. The bottle has no valve. Must degas to remove. The tac has a small dega screw.

B8DDB16F-A1F1-4306-AF71-B4CF076B51FE.jpeg