• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Testing new 22 caliber slug design

IMG_3017.jpeg
IMG_3033.jpeg
IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_3040.jpeg
IMG_3038.jpeg
Shot this N50 card at 100 yesterday morning. Shot these other groups this morning. 25 shots at 100 and 6 shots at 200.

I couldn't even begin to see the holes at 200 through the mirage. I just aimed at bull 13 and shot. I wasn't even sure the first shot hit the paper. Without visual feedback there was no holding taking place. The scope clicks were made using Chairgun and a bc of .200. The mystery group landed one row high and to the right....so that at least semi confirms the calculated bc of .200 is within reason ...if not a little conservative.

I cannot for the life of me see what could be fun about shooting and not being able to see the holes made. 6 shots was enough for me...plus the 400y walk to see what happened.

The 200y group is about .8 Moa. The cluster of 5 in the 6 is about .400 moa.

The 25 shot group at 100 is about .65 MOA (said .80 at first...that was wrong).

The new slugs seem to work just fine at much longer distances than I will ever care about....and are holding a very strong .200 plus bc.

Mike

Last edited:
Really great results Mike.

I wonder by this point if you have equaled the performance of the best 22rf BR rifles and ammo yet because it seems so???
No...not yet. Getting closer though. It's hard to believe how good some of the unlimited guns with good ammo are.

Mike

Mike,
Have you pulled .22 LR bullets from Lapua, SK and RWS rounds and compared their shapes to what you are making? I wonder if there is anything to be learned from their designs? You‘ve probably already been down that road? I’ve not pulled and compared any myself but some of us have noticed that Ruag (Norma and RWS) bullets seem to fly more accurately in windy conditions than SK and Lapua bullets do. How do Rimfire bullet BCs compare to your bullet?

Last edited:
Mike,
Have you pulled .22 LR bullets from Lapua, SK and RWS rounds and compared their shapes to what you are making? I wonder if there is anything to be learned from their designs? You‘ve probably already been down that road? I’ve not pulled and compared any myself but some of us have noticed that Ruag (Norma and RWS) bullets seem to fly more accurately in windy conditions than SK and Lapua bullets do. How do Rimfire bullet BCs compare to your bullet?
Rimfire rounds actually have a lower bc than these. Most likely due to the additional rebate on the front of the bullet...but I can't say for sure.

Mike

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
That's really similar to the Corbin press. Would love to find something that would work in rockchucker, not expecting anything for the progressive press. These rock checkers are extremely sturdy and would be fine for slugs.
The trick is incorporating the ejection operation into the press. That's a given with the rce or Corbin. I initially used the dies I made with a 50$ harbor freight arbor press. Worked fine, but not very fast.

Mike

Here's some more 25 shot groups in heavy wind at 50. 10 plus

Little tweaks here and there.

The smaller set of groups took me about 15 minutes each. I was careful about what condition I shot. The bigger groups were shot in whatever condition presented itself once the slug was loaded and ready to fire. I shot both of those groups in about 4 minutes each.

Really happy with how things are going.

Mike
IMG_3069.jpeg
IMG_3071.jpeg

Out of curiosity why does your slug have a shoulder or step before the boat tail? Altaros uses a smooth transition as does many copper jacketed boat tails that I am familiar with.
They need a rebate to be able to swage them reasonably fast. You need a 2 piece main die body to get a smooth boat tail in a swaging operation...but it's a lot more complex and time consuming. It takes about 30
seconds to swage a smooth shoulder and about 2 1/2 to make a slug with a rebated boat tail. If I got even noticeably better results with the smooth...I might take the time. Truth is that I could not get as good of results as I'm now getting with the Alraros or my smooth shoulder slug.

A rebate boat tail design is better for group sizes at relatively shorter ranges due to intermediate ballistic characteristics as the slug leaves the barrel. This was the original reason for rebate boat tail designs. The drag will be increased slightly, but that would only be a problem at very long ranges.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
A rebate boat tail design is better for group sizes at relatively shorter ranges due to intermediate ballistic characteristics as the slug leaves the barrel. This was the original reason for rebate boat tail designs. The drag will be increased slightly, but that would only be a problem at very long ranges.
That's interesting to know and seems to jive with my experience shooting both.

My smooth slugs or the altaros slugs are extremely sensitive to muzzle blast and require a very stingy tune to get good performance. Unfortunately a really lean tune also has the unwanted characteristic of much larger velocity variations with a wild deviation once in a while that really hurts on the target. I can tune these rebated slugs fairly loose by comparison and never get the wild one...all while getting top accuracy. I have no interest in shooting personally past 50y...but the rebated slugs do really well even out to 200.

Thanks for that info.

Mike