• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

The Wind Is Not Your Friend

As most target shooters know, reading the wind can be one of the hardness things to master.
There are some good tips listed at this link: http://www.thewindisnotyourfriend.com/

I use to use 4 wind flags and now only use 2 along with a wind probe. Wind probes are known by other names as well but what I like about it, it lets you know when not to shoot. After using the wind probe for awhile, I found that it helps me in the field as well. I pay more attention to my surroundings, I watch the movement of tree limbs and tops of weeds more.

Wind probes can be easily made or purchased with the cost close up to $300. A good one can be made much cheaper. The couple of photos below shows a wind probe. As the wind blows, the top of the probe moves to the left or right depending on the wind direction. The more the probe leans over, the harder the wind is blowing. If you see the probe moving up and down from one mark to the other the wind is gusting. For me the best time to shoot is when the probe is steady on a mark. I shoot with both eyes open and can also take a quick look at the flags. When the flags are good and the probe is steady, I send the round down range. Sometimes the flags look good, but the probe is bouncing between the marks. When this happens, I wait it out. Anytime I have shot in those conditions, it was a bad shot.

86qP21m.jpg

oMqqPfN.jpg