Turkey alert

This big boy strutted around our bird feeder this afternoon at about 20 yards while I shot about 60 shots at spinners with my pcps. Didn't seem to bother him a bit.

I have always thought it would be cool to hunt them with an airgun, and the season is in, but it would not be any fun to shoot this one in my backyard. I have nick named him Oscar. He acts like he owns the subdivision:neighborhood.

IMG_0276.jpeg

This big boy strutted around our bird feeder this afternoon at about 20 yards while I shot about 60 shots at spinners with my pcps. Didn't seem to bother him a bit.

I have always thought it would be cool to hunt them with an airgun, and the season is in, but it would not be any fun to shoot this one in my backyard. I have nick named him Oscar. He acts like he owns the subdivision:neighborhood.

View attachment 460580
My wife and I live in a townhouse subdivision in downtown Manassas, Virginia. Basically, it's just another DC suburb nowadays. Not a particularly HUGE 'burb, by big-city standards, but large enough to support more big-city stuff than my wife and I really like. Anyhow, we have a very small, mostly evergreen, I don't know... maybe fifty-foot thick leftover of what obviously used to be a fairly large woods, but quite small now, just a thin area between our townhouses and a HUGE gravel quarry behind us, with the usual other townhouses, schools, shopping centers, highways and the rest all around the other three sides. Anyway, here's a photo my wife snapped with her cellie through our french doors this past winter, overlooking our deck and back yard (you can just see the top of the fence at the bottom of the photo). Believe it or not, stuff like this happens fairly often here. Shucks, we get deer (even a small herd with a young buck once), this or another small flock of turkeys, squirrels everywhere, birds of every sort, foxes, skunks, 'possums, 'coons, snakes... you name the country-loving animal and like Ragu, it's in there: taking advantage of that tiny piece of human-free land in the midst of an otherwise bustling city. Sorry about the poor quality, but you can tell what they are at least. You can NOT know how tough it is not to take one of my more powerful airguns to the door and... Nah. We like having them around, truth be told. :)

1714525563749.jpeg

View attachment 460580
On top of the turkeys, we have some other critters frequenting our home now as well: Groovy the groundhog moved in under the cement stoop of our next door neighbors (he loves watermelon), and as hard as we've tried to get 'em to go elsewhere, a mother skunk raised up a small crop of babies somewhere around here last year that were largely white, and this one guy/gal pictured never moved on. If we have him/her trapped, the state mandates euthanasia, so we've let it slide (as long as he doesn't perfume the area, we're more or less cool). Lots of squirrels (we have one that's very close to eating out of my wife's hand), doves (not that invasive species), cardinals, jays, too many finches and sparrows to count, and a family of house wrens nesting under the deck out back (what a song that little dude can belt out for hours). At least I draw the line at rats, but it's rarely a problem, as all the critters just named RARELY leave any crumb unmunched for latecomers.
1714611923247.jpeg

1714612005727.jpeg

Wow, never seen a skunk like that.

Same here, pretty cool looking. Generally I leave skunks alone as long as they don't dig under my Rock wall.

Speaking of turkeys, they are starting to really take over the neighborhood. Saw this guy giving it to a female really good middle of the day and in the middle of the road!
IMG_4921.jpeg

Last edited:
On top of the turkeys, we have some other critters frequenting our home now as well: Groovy the groundhog moved in under the cement stoop of our next door neighbors (he loves watermelon), and as hard as we've tried to get 'em to go elsewhere, a mother skunk raised up a small crop of babies somewhere around here last year that were largely white, and this one guy/gal pictured never moved on. If we have him/her trapped, the state mandates euthanasia, so we've let it slide (as long as he doesn't perfume the area, we're more or less cool). Lots of squirrels (we have one that's very close to eating out of my wife's hand), doves (not that invasive species), cardinals, jays, too many finches and sparrows to count, and a family of house wrens nesting under the deck out back (what a song that little dude can belt out for hours). At least I draw the line at rats, but it's rarely a problem, as all the critters just named RARELY leave any crumb unmunched for latecomers.
View attachment 460880

View attachment 460884
That skunk is beautiful! I’ve never seen one with a white stripe like that. Very cool