What are some great gas rams?

For what's on the market these days the HW90 is the cream of the crop!
Unless you go on a search for a discontinued Theoben! They are the ultimate but out of production since 2012.
My Evolution .177 set to 12.5fpe and a serious tack driver with 10.3 JSBs!
IMG_20221119_164837.jpg
IMG_20221119_164803__01.jpg

Last edited:
I meant a BSA Lightning GRT.
That gun in the Pellets and Pistons video is actually my BSA Meteor that I sent Kevin to demo on his channel. In his limited use of the gun he basically came to the conclusion that he wasn't a huge fan.

After I got the gun back I noticed the usual faint odor of dieseling. I let it slide but about 300 pellets in I got a big puff of smoke and then at about 500 pellets in I decided something was definitely wrong. Chrono readings were off and the smoking never really stopped. I tore the gun down and the first thing I realized was that internally its basically just a Gamo. Gamo trigger (🤮 compared to a Rekord) and Gamo piston.

Well, the piston looked like it had been forced into the tube during assembly and tore an edge on the cocking lever slot. The gun was then overlubed so every time the piston went back it pulled some grease forward when shot. Long story short, it was never going to stop dieseling until I replaced that seal and did some cleanup. As luck would have it I had a TX200 piston seal on my shelf. It was a direct fit so I was able to fix it quickly.

Long story short, even though it isn't the exact BSA that you are looking at, my experience with this gun would not allow me to recommend any BSA break barrel. Even after being repaired the gun just really isn't all that great. For what they cost in the US you can get a much better gun from either Diana or Weihrauch.

Reactions: Bandito
ELITE= "A select group that is superior in terms of ability or quilities to the rest of a group." That usually translates into "expensive"...and/or difficult to find. Theoben gas rams fall into this "ELITE GROUP". Having owned many of them I prefere the Evolution and SLR 98 set at 12 and 14 fpe, for enjoyable shooting and would stay away from the high power monsters like the Eliminator and even the Crusader...these Theobens have pretty muched become collector items...competed for by serious collectors...there is an Evolution .177 and SLR 98 .22 carbine up for auction right now on ebay...good luck with that...The next best alternative is the HW90 if you have to have a gas ram...BTW if you ever get your hands on a Theoben you will be glad you did!
20230315_141111.jpg

We can't be talking about great gas rams without talking about the no longer in production SIG ASP 20.
23 fpe magnum with a cocking effort of a 17fpe gun and short no buzz shot cycle.
Power is the last thing I am looking for in a non-PCP. I've seen good things about the Sig but I wouldn't really want one since they are out of production. I have run across a few in the past and decided to pass on them. The same shooting buddy who has the Patriot also has a Sig. I have several 22 cal PCPs close to 90 FPE so I don't want/need a gas ram/spring piston for power. 1st priority is accuracy and the second is looks. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
Gas Ram rifles are distinct in that they can remain cocked without issue. Makes them great for hunting.
I own many. An old .25 Kodiak, a Turkish Patriot .25 conversion, a .25 Eliminator, and a bunch of SLR98s. I used to own more but sold them off.

The other advantage to these style rifles is the incredibly fast lock time. The pellets are out of the barrel before the recoil can interfere with the accuracy.

I'd recommend at least one gas ram for every collection. Here's a few pictures of my Beeman SLR98 carbine on. 22. Enjoy!

20230324_202316.jpg

20230324_202329.jpg