• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Which PCP's can you hand pump?

Generally Guns with smaller reservoirs (measured in cubic centimeters or “cc”) will take less time to fill. As @nervoustrig mentioned the operating and maximum pressure is also a factor. Many are 3000 psi or 4500 psi. PCP guns that operate at lower maximum pressures will be easier to fill as hand pumps have more resistance at higher pressure thus requiring the user to exert more energy to fill which translates to more or harder work. For example, you should notice a substantial difference in the pump’s resistance at 2000 psi versus 4000 psi. 

Maybe start with a Benjamin Marauder or the Marauder pistol. They are widely popular, reliable, relatively affordable, and not too difficult to fill if you aren’t limited by physical disabilities.

the bigger the cc and pressure the harder .. once you get up there to 200cc tanks and better its going to be a workout, likr a marauder rifle for instance is the most i would want to pump ... if its got a bottle i wouldnt consider it ... whats easy to pump are 2000psi guns and any small pistol size pcp .. another consideration is moisture, even if your built like arnold and dont mind to pump a giant bottle for an hour lol it will generate alot of moisture in both the pump and the gun that will require regular maintenance to get rid of to prevent corrosion ..smaller and less pumping isnt as bad ...

I have many easy to hand pump PCPs;They all have small air reservoirs,no more that 3000psi,and seems all get about 26 shots.

Exceptions are Crossman 1701 pistol,a lot of shots for it and the Crossman Challenger target rifle.

I do have a pistol that needs to go pass 3600psi to fill and as nervous trigger said that becomes a lot harder to fill.

The Gamo Urban is a great PCP for what it is and hard to beat at its price point and not hard to fill.

Harv24

My first PCP was a first generation Umarex Gauntlet .25. Cheap Chinese handpump worked great. Got FX Wildcat 3 and, as so many members warned, filling with hand pump was a real workout. I always slept better the night after "that" workout, but was starting to avoid shooting because of it. Just bought Yong Heng compressor, mainly for two reasons, better moisture control and bringing joy back to airgunning.

WM 

How long would it take to pump up a Crosman 1701?

depends on the pressure but it take between 20-30 bumps. I usually only need less than 20pump to go from 2000 psi to 2700 psi. 

all skinny air tube PCPs with fill pressure at or under 3000 psi is great for hand pump. In fact I prefer using hand pump over my tank for all my crosman because I don’t need to worry about overfill which is super easy with my 4500 psi tank, a bit nerve racking actually. 

One of the things you must keep in mind is the pump as well. Make sure to get something that is quality, easy to take apart and repair, and rated high enough to fill your gun, and has something to remove moisture. Some are rated to only 250 bar and others to 310 bar. 

Also your shooting habits may dictated what you are willing to pump. I use a hill mk5 to fill a FX crown mk2. It takes about 25 pumps for 10 bar increase in the 480cc bottle. I use mainly for pesting, so I can get plenty of shots on a fill, and take my time refilling. I also have a Taipan Veteran Long on the way which have a 300cc cylinder, and a 250(approx: 3600psi) bar max pressure like the Crown. So, larger guns can be filled by pump, but it's alot of work. 

If you plan on shooting alot stick with lower fill pressure guns that get decent shot count like Marauder or similar. 

Thanks for all the advice/experience. I'm narrowing down to the Avenger for my first gun (wood stock version)

I just posted a little review of the Avenger and Benjamin Cayden. It seemed to me while shooting them for the first time (no hard data) that the Cayden was more efficient with air use, and they were both received from the manufacturer shooting 18.13 gr .22 cal pellets right around 920 fps, so they were putting out the same power.

What hit me was that the Cayden's cylinder filled to 3,000 psi while the Avenger's filled to 4,350 psi. So while writing up the review I definitely thought about the Cayden being potentially hand pump friendly.

I pump all of mine. I own the following: Beeman chief 2 (177), Gamo urban (22), AV avenger (22), Benjamin Maximus (177). The easiest is the Maximus as it only fills to 2k. Literally nothing to pump it up. The whole workout part is totally subjective. In my experience that is way way overplayed. None of the above guns are bad. The worst and even this is relative, is the avenger. The only reason I say that is in order to adjust the reg down on that gun you have to purge the air. Therefore I’ve filled it to 4K from empty a few times. That does kind of suck. However when you get the reg set pumping it from like 2500 to 4 k isn’t that bad despite what you will read. Pumping that gun to 4K isn’t that bad. It just isn’t. The chief and urban both have small cylinders and are very easy as well. 

Honestly if I had to recommend one it would be the gamo urban. It is very handpump friendly, great quality build and just flat out accurate as can be. It also loves the 14.3 crosman variants pushing them around 880.