N/A 14-15fpe .22 Springer

That's a lot of elevation. What area are you hunting? You pay a steep power penalty at that altitude with a piston gun. What are you hunting at those altitudes with a springer?

Im going to hunt squirrel and grouse. 7-8k feet is about minimum for grouse. Most are 10k and higher.

A springer might not work at that altitude. It only shoots 600 fps in the valley at 4k.

Wow that's alot of altitude. I doubt I could breathe easily at that. I'd say a PCP or powder burner is more in order.

Above 9k it takes a couple days for your blood chemistry to settle down. Especially if you come from the lowlands. You can breathe. But you just have to do more of it. And you can get an involuntary nap if you push too hard up a big rise.

Where I like to hunt the trailhead is 10k. The tops of the ridges are 12.5K. I'm sticking to the foothills for squirrel about 8k. I may see a grouse or a Montezuma quail at that elevation. Probably just tassel eared and Grey squirrel.

Yes. A rimfire or a .410 shotgun is ideal. I'm taking the springer just to see how it behaves.

Above 9k it takes a couple days for your blood chemistry to settle down. Especially if you come from the lowlands. You can breathe. But you just have to do more of it. And you can get an involuntary nap if you push too hard up a big rise.

Where I like to hunt the trailhead is 10k. The tops of the ridges are 12.5K. I'm sticking to the foothills for squirrel about 8k. I may see a grouse or a Montezuma quail at that elevation. Probably just tassel eared and Grey squirrel.

Yes. A rimfire or a .410 shotgun is ideal. I'm taking the springer just to see how it behaves.
That sounds like a great adventure and keep us posted on your progress. Thanks

I know that we are way off topic here.......but FWIW I also hunt at altitude (4k-8k) pretty often with my spring guns (grouse too) and find that they work just fine. I do have to adjust my aim point at distances over 30 yards, but the vast majority of my shots are 10-20 yards so trajectory is pretty flat to my point of aim. For every 4k altitude gain, I lose about 1fpe with my hw50s in .177. At 4k, it shoots at about 11fpe with AA 8.4s and at 8k it shoots at about 10fpe. At 12k, I'd still likely have 9fpe, which is plenty for small game at short distances.

I know that we are way off topic here.......but FWIW I also hunt at altitude (4k-8k) pretty often with my spring guns (grouse too) and find that they work just fine. I do have to adjust my aim point at distances over 30 yards, but the vast majority of my shots are 10-20 yards so trajectory is pretty flat to my point of aim. For every 4k altitude gain, I lose about 1fpe with my hw50s in .177. At 4k, it shoots at about 11fpe with AA 8.4s and at 8k it shoots at about 10fpe. At 12k, I'd still likely have 9fpe, which is plenty for small game at short distances.

Yes, we need to start a new thread. It's something I would like to discuss...

My apologies to the OP. We've gotten way off track and I am sorry.

Lol no worries guys. I decided on a Cometa Fenix 400. Just the bare bones one. Standard length with the beech stock. Convinced me it would be better for my uses which I figured would be the case.

I've been eyeing a cometa Fenix 400. Did you settle on a .177 or a .22?

It looks like a big step up from my Hatsans for everyday shooting. I wanted to get a Norica and try it out but all the talk is about the Cometa. It looks like a better fit and finish and a whole lot better stock.

How's the trigger on that rifle? The trigger is the only thing that keeps me buying Hatsans. If the Cometa has a decent trigger might just get me one.

Reactions: coastal drifter

It looks like a big step up from my Hatsans for everyday shooting. I wanted to get a Norica and try it out but all the talk is about the Cometa. It looks like a better fit and finish and a whole lot better stock.

How's the trigger on that rifle? The trigger is the only thing that keeps me buying Hatsans. If the Cometa has a decent trigger might just get me one.
.22. I've been shooting .22 PCPs for years now and have stuck to .177 for springers. Have had a HW30S for quite a few years and enjoy that in .177 which is my only .177 gun. But wanted some more knockdown power so figured I'd try .22 springer this time.

They seem to be real nice rifles for the money that hit above their pay. I've watched alot of videos and seem to be nicely finished, well machined rifles that are accurate.

As far as trigger goes it's looking like they are around 1-1.5lb range. Seems to be pretty decent from what it sounds like. Maybe not Rekord nice but nice nonetheless. Heck for half the cost of a HW95 I can live with an OK trigger lol.

Just bought a HW95N .20 From AOA. Shooting the 11.42gr At 800fps I believe thats just over 16 fpe. I been shooting it with a Williams peep and loving it.

View attachment 493819
Hi Coastal Drifter
Can u tell me more about ur Williams peep sight please? What does it look like and how does it attach? Many thanks, Pete.

.22. I've been shooting .22 PCPs for years now and have stuck to .177 for springers. Have had a HW30S for quite a few years and enjoy that in .177 which is my only .177 gun. But wanted some more knockdown power so figured I'd try .22 springer this time.

They seem to be real nice rifles for the money that hit above their pay. I've watched alot of videos and seem to be nicely finished, well machined rifles that are accurate.

As far as trigger goes it's looking like they are around 1-1.5lb range. Seems to be pretty decent from what it sounds like. Maybe not Rekord nice but nice nonetheless. Heck for half the cost of a HW95 I can live with an OK trigger lol.

When you start shooting it give us an update. Those look like a good value and a solid rifle. I'd like to hear your experience with it.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Hi Coastal Drifter
Can u tell me more about ur Williams peep sight please? What does it look like and how does it attach? Many thanks, Pete.

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg
It attaches to the dove tail of the rifle the front globe (came with the rifle) has inserts depending on what you prefer.

I have both a Cometa and a "nice" Norica. I think most of the Noricas you can buy stateside are the cheaper models, but I have no experience with them. The Hawk might be the top of the line of what's available. If you order from some euro websites you can get the Storm or Marvic which have no plastic bits besides the trigger, and the trigger is 2 stage adjustable.

Also for anyone who might find this in a search later on, you can swap barrels / calibers on the Cometa 400 quite easily.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob