$16.95 in the 1959 Stoeger catalog, half-inch groups at 25 yards in 2022

Feeling guilty about neglecting my vintage Co2 pistols all summer for younger attractions, but now going on a month of 100 degree plus temperatures EVERY DAY, rather than continue hibernating indoors I decided to get off my duff long enough this afternoon to use the brutal heat to my advantage. Rather, my Co2 pistols' advantage. Ceiling fans running full blast under my covered porch and very gusty winds knocked some of the edge off 107 degrees in the shade, but I didn't expect very gratifying accuracy results in the gusting crosswinds.

But after posting groups with my S&W 78g consistent with its best results in calm conditions (1.25" c-t-c average), I dug out my favorite Co2 hunting pistol. Partly to give her a little exercise, and partly as a reality check exercise of the shooter's abilities. I'm happy to report neither vintage shooter has lost its edge.

Given the temperature related idiosyncrasies of Co2 guns and the additional expense of cartridges, I often shoot three-shot groups rather than my five-shot group protocol with PCPs. I shoot a group from bench-rest, go mark the holes in the target in one color, repeat, and mark successive groups on the same target in different colors,

By the time I'd shot the fourth group with the customized Crosman 150 I realized I wouldn't be able to ascertain subsequent shots going through the same hole as previous groups. So I stopped at four consecutive three-shot groups, measured and recorded each group-size in the color of each group, and calculated the average group size at .52" c-t-c. Including one flier when the wind suddenly stopped, all 12 shots went into .92" c-t-c. Omitting that flier brings the average comfortably below 1/2", but we won't.

150 .52 at 25.jpg

Not the best average my Crosman 150 has posted, it is nevertheless almost unbelievable given the gusty crosswinds. As taken from my testing notes, "7/6/2013- Five consecutive three-shot groups at 25 yards averaged .37” c-t-c with 14.3 JSB Express".

I found the Crosman 150 listed at $16.95 retail in my 1959 Stoeger catalog. Other interesting specs include "exclusive TRU-FLYTE barrel" (I RECKON SO!), and "group shots within 1/2" at 50 feet". They didn't have JSB pellets back then, nor the benefit of pistol scopes, or my trigger job.