1600 or less comp for tanks?

drsquall

Jul 22, 2022
OK
Good evening,
I am looking at a compressor to fill my 2 45min scba tanks occasionally. I use a comp to fill my guns but I would like one to fill my tanks probably 4 times a month, just to take tank to matches or when I'm away from my house. I was looking at the Krypton, omega charger. I would think a water cooled would be preferred. I don't want to mess with water buckets so no Yong Heng. 110 only. I welcome any ideas

Thanks
Jon

Reactions: Bigbuckairgunner39
Thread 'Just received an Altaros booster' https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/just-received-an-altaros-booster.1287662/

That compressor can be had for < $1600, and perfectly fine to fill tanks.

Even cheaper if youve already got a decent sized shop compressor.

Boosters don't fit with all personality types. If you're not the instant gratification type, and ARE the responsible, plan-ahead type, an Altaros booster will keep those tanks full.

Good evening,
I am looking at a compressor to fill my 2 45min scba tanks occasionally. I use a comp to fill my guns but I would like one to fill my tanks probably 4 times a month, just to take tank to matches or when I'm away from my house. I was looking at the Krypton, omega charger. I would think a water cooled would be preferred. I don't want to mess with water buckets so no Yong Heng. 110 only. I welcome any ideas

Thanks
Jon
I just posted a brand new crossman/recharge unit 500 less then what I paid for it if your interested it’s for filling air tanks where it’ll last ya. I also have good bit of filtration and hoses still new as well

I haven't filled tanks yet, but I have a Omega trail charger that has been really good and problem free.. I'm sure to fill your tanks,it would probably take 4 runs of around 30 minutes.. even though it is water cooled with fan and radiator,I just prefer to keep the temperature and run time down.. it's got auto shutoff for whatever pressure you set.. I got it from Airguns of Arizona.
been very happy with it filling several guns
Mark

Reactions: maxtrouble
Personally, for filling tanks I would want a compressor with a duty cycle that can do it without cool down breaks, at least on the partial refills we do on a regular basis (maybe one break on an initial fill would not be a bad thing). After all, a shorter duty cycle than we would ideally need is a clear sign that the compressor has inadequate cooling for the work it is doing - that is just not a recipe for a long trouble free service life.

In the end, it gets down to the kind of person you are - are you fine with something that might only last a few years, and just replacing it then or are you somebody that can't stand that thought as a "going in plan" and wants things that last?

If you want something that lasts, I'll second @Franklink 's recommendation for a booster - those can be set up to just run non-stop (by how you supply air to it) and last forever (with the same risk of individual part issues/ service as every other mechanical thing) . . . .

Reactions: steve-l
Personally, for filling tanks I would want a compressor with a duty cycle that can do it without cool down breaks, at least on the partial refills we do on a regular basis (maybe one break on an initial fill would not be a bad thing). After all, a shorter duty cycle than we would ideally need is a clear sign that the compressor has inadequate cooling for the work it is doing - that is just not a recipe for a long trouble free service life.

In the end, it gets down to the kind of person you are - are you fine with something that might only last a few years, and just replacing it then or are you somebody that can't stand that thought as a "going in plan" and wants things that last?

If you want something that lasts, I'll second @Franklink 's recommendation for a booster - those can be set up to just run non-stop (by how you supply air to it) and last forever (with the same risk of individual part issues/ service as every other mechanical thing) . . . .