N/A .177 8-9 grain lead pellet of choice

I'm running some JSB Exact 8.44 pellets in my 12 fpe break barrel springer. The pursuit of accuracy and precision is probably my first ammo choice priority followed closely by small game hunting effectiveness. I also do a fair amount of plinking and target shooting on the side so cost/shot is a concern as well. I've been fairly impressed with the JSB 8.44 so far but I'm wondering if there is another choice out there that might be as good or better. What is your pellet of choice?

Reactions: bustachip
I'm running some JSB Exact 8.44 pellets in my 12 fpe break barrel springer. The pursuit of accuracy and precision is probably my first ammo choice priority followed closely by small game hunting effectiveness. I also do a fair amount of plinking and target shooting on the side so cost/shot is a concern as well. I've been fairly impressed with the JSB 8.44 so far but I'm wondering if there is another choice out there that might be as good or better. What is your pellet of choice?
RWS Superdomes are pretty good and cost less than the FTT or R10 pellets, all three of which I like.

If accuracy is your thing then domed pellets are the best from what I've found. In my 97K and prosport the QYS 8.48 has produced 1/4" 5 shot groups at 40 yards, they're around $20 a tin. Although the average is 1/2" or under at 40 yards.
The JSB 8.44 used to be my favorite, but they also used to fit in the bore better than the recent ones I've bought. I have 4.52 and 4.53's on hand. It really comes down to your rifle and how well the pellets fit your particular bore. A loose fitting pellet usually produces a flyer, while a snug, (won't fall out of the breech on it's own) usually shoots more accurate. That said some other pellets that shot well out of my rifles are....H&N FTT 8.64, JSB 7.87, JSB 7.33, H&N sniper medium 8.5, crosman premier brown box 7.9, beeman field target 8.64, AA 8.44. But I don't shoot these..lol.
QYS 8.48 or JSB 8.44 are the pellets I shoot in my rifles. You just have to do a lot of testing and start with a clean barrel to eliminate that variable,
and test when there's no wind.✌🏻

If accuracy is your thing then domed pellets are the best from what I've found. In my 97K and prosport the QYS 8.48 has produced 1/4" 5 shot groups at 40 yards, they're around $20 a tin. Although the average is 1/2" or under at 40 yards.
The JSB 8.44 used to be my favorite, but they also used to fit in the bore better than the recent ones I've bought. I have 4.52 and 4.53's on hand. It really comes down to your rifle and how well the pellets fit your particular bore. A loose fitting pellet usually produces a flyer, while a snug, (won't fall out of the breech on it's own) usually shoots more accurate. That said some other pellets that shot well out of my rifles are....H&N FTT 8.64, JSB 7.87, JSB 7.33, H&N sniper medium 8.5, crosman premier brown box 7.9, beeman field target 8.64, AA 8.44. But I don't shoot these..lol.
QYS 8.48 or JSB 8.44 are the pellets I shoot in my rifles. You just have to do a lot of testing and start with a clean barrel to eliminate that variable,
and test when there's no wind.✌🏻
Are your QYS pellets called Streamline like Barraccuddas?

Are your QYS pellets called Streamline like Barraccuddas?
No those are the 9.56 I think is the weight and not available to my knowledge. The ones I buy are these domed 8.48's.
IMG_5409.jpeg

They have others as well but I haven't seen them for sale. Here's a pic of the others.
IMG_5656.jpeg

I’m running an HW98 that is supposed to have a 12 fpe Vortek kit installed. It feels peppy, though, like it could be pushing 13 fpe. That may be a false impression, however, as I’ve been shooting my HW30 quite a bit recently. I really need to chronograph it to verify. It sounds like it might be tough to beat the JSB’s…the accuracy that I‘ve been getting certainly isn’t bad at all(one hole 5 shot groups at 20 yards). I should really stretch it out to 40 yards and see what we have there. The H&N FTT and QYS both look like possible alternatives.

I’m running an HW98 that is supposed to have a 12 fpe Vortek kit installed. It feels peppy, though, like it could be pushing 13 fpe. That may be a false impression, however, as I’ve been shooting my HW30 quite a bit recently. I really need to chronograph it to verify. It sounds like it might be tough to beat the JSB’s…the accuracy that I‘ve been getting certainly isn’t bad at all(one hole 5 shot groups at 20 yards). I should really stretch it out to 40 yards and see what we have there. The H&N FTT and QYS both look like possible alternatives.
Don't get me wrong JSB's are good if they fit your barrel right.

I've consistently gotten very good accuracy with the Air Arms branded 8.4s. These are made by JSB for Air Arms, supposedly using special dies from AA. Not sure why, but they do seem to fit better and be more consistent than the regular JSB 8.4s. I try and keep things simple and just buy/shoot these. Maybe not the cheapest in relative terms, but in any absolute sense, pellets are very inexpensive.

That said, my one foray into less expensive pellets has been the Norma 8.4g golden trophy FTs. I have been very impressed with their consistency and accuracy.

R

I've consistently gotten very good accuracy with the Air Arms branded 8.4s. These are made by JSB for Air Arms, supposedly using special dies from AA. Not sure why, but they do seem to fit better and be more consistent than the regular JSB 8.4s. I try and keep things simple and just buy/shoot these. Maybe not the cheapest in relative terms, but in any absolute sense, pellets are very inexpensive.

That said, my one foray into less expensive pellets has been the Norma 8.4g golden trophy FTs. I have been very impressed with their consistency and accuracy.

R
The AA owned special dies is a myth. They are made by JSB as you said. When JSB makes them they only use one die. The die is a regular use JSB die. The consistency comes from all the pellets in the tin coming from a single site. Similar to the old letter die marked Crosman Brown boxes.

Regular branded JSBs are tinned from several dies so they're less consistent than the AA which are tinned from a single die. There's an excellent video on YouTube that explains it. Search JSB factory tour. Its worth watching.

Be well Ron

Other than my Hw30s. The rest of my 177 Weihrauchs flip flop between 8.44 JSB and clones and 8.64 FTTs for best accuracy. The flip flopping comes from small tin to tin production variance.

For power and long distance ballistics the JSBs are better than the FTTs.

I don't have to pinch penny's so I buy bunches JSBs and FTTs when I find them priced well from a company that knows how to pack them.

I simply won't buy Chinese pellets on principle when there's other viable options.

Other than my Hw30s. The rest of my 177 Weihrauchs flip flop between 8.44 JSB and clones and 8.64 FTTs for best accuracy. The flip flopping comes from small tin to tin production variance.

For power and long distance ballistics the JSBs are better than the FTTs.

I don't have to pinch penny's so I buy bunches JSBs and FTTs when I find them priced well from a company that knows how to pack them.

I simply won't buy Chinese pellets on principle when there's other viable options.
I'm with ya on the Chinese thing to a degree. I was skeptical until I tried these QYS, and I was amazed the first time I shot them. I follow some airgun stuff on Instagram, and this guy from the UK I think it is, and that's where I saw them. I asked him how they shot from his 97K and he said lights out, so I had to try them..lol. I'm hooked now Chinese or not.

I'm with ya on the Chinese thing to a degree. I was skeptical until I tried these QYS, and I was amazed the first time I shot them. I follow some airgun stuff on Instagram, and this guy from the UK I think it is, and that's where I saw them. I asked him how they shot from his 97K and he said lights out, so I had to try them..lol. I'm hooked now Chinese or not.
Enjoy them.

The AA owned special dies is a myth. They are made by JSB as you said. When JSB makes them they only use one die. The die is a regular use JSB die. The consistency comes from all the pellets in the tin coming from a single site. Similar to the old letter die marked Crosman Brown boxes.

Regular branded JSBs are tinned from several dies so they're less consistent than the AA which are tinned from a single die. There's an excellent video on YouTube that explains it. Search JSB factory tour. Its worth watching.

Be well Ron
Good to know how these are made, thanks. The AA pellets always cost a bit more than JSBs, but the better consistency makes them worth it IMHO.
R

Reactions: Mycapt65