Taipan .177 backyard friendly Tiapan set up

I setup a .177 compact for the backyard.
Tuned down to 850 fps with a sumo moderator.
10.3 fx pellets
Laser accurate and the pellet hitting paper is the loudest thing.
I love shooting this setup
UTG Op3 4-16 x 44

20231209_120001.jpg

The Veteran makes a great low power .177.

The original Veterans were offered in .177 as a factory option. I've seen a few of the .177 Shorts, but it seems like many more .177 Standards were made. The Vet Short is about a 24" gun, and the Standard is around 28" long.

My .177 was originally a .22 but was converted to .177 by using a .177 CZ barrel from the CZ200 series guns. The Taipan OEM reg that was in the gun was not very consistent in the conversion so my .177 Vet has a HUMA regulator in it. My frankenVet also has a custom smaller transfer port, single hole and appropriate for .177. This was b/c the large dual transfer port from the .22 was also creating consistency problems. So I certainly went about getting a .177 Veteran the hard way, but it was worth it as it is extremely accurate. Reg pressure is 90bar. Shoots the 10.34s just shy of 20fpe. I'd estimate the shot count is up around 140-160shots per fill. And it is VERY quiet.

If in the market for a .177 Veteran at this point, I'd recommend you keep an eye on the classifieds, or even post a WTB and be VERY careful with vetting the responders before you send them any funds. (Personal experience is that WTBs bring scammers out of the woodwork, much more than a WTS).

Reactions: Welldone
T

The original Veterans were offered in .177 as a factory option. I've seen a few of the .177 Shorts, but it seems like many more .177 Standards were made. The Vet Short is about a 24" gun, and the Standard is around 28" long.

My .177 was originally a .22 but was converted to .177 by using a .177 CZ barrel from the CZ200 series guns. The Taipan OEM reg that was in the gun was not very consistent in the conversion so my .177 Vet has a HUMA regulator in it. My frankenVet also has a custom smaller transfer port, single hole and appropriate for .177. This was b/c the large dual transfer port from the .22 was also creating consistency problems. So I certainly went about getting a .177 Veteran the hard way, but it was worth it as it is extremely accurate. Reg pressure is 90bar. Shoots the 10.34s just shy of 20fpe. I'd estimate the shot count is up around 140-160shots per fill. And it is VERY quiet.

If in the market for a .177 Veteran at this point, I'd recommend you keep an eye on the classifieds, or even post a WTB and be VERY careful with vetting the responders before you send them any funds. (Personal experience is that WTBs bring scammers out of the woodwork, much more than a WTS).
Thanks for those insights and scammer advice. Yep, those WTB entries are like a neon flashing light to the “ bad” guys.

I like the way the Tiapan looks with the cylinder type reservoir and the accuracy sounds awesome. Has anyone ever converted one to a low power .177 for backyard fun? If not, whats my best path for this type gun ? I have guns with the carbon fiber tank and to me, it makes the gun look pregnant.
Tony @ Talon Tunes can order you a Veteran II in .177. Mine was tuned right 20 ft/lbs from the factory. It's super quiet with the stock moderator too.

Obviously, our "backyards" vary a lot. For me, a true yard gun is a .177 that's tuned in the 10-12 fpe range. I have an HW100 carbine that I tuned to that level, and I've been very pleased with it. To do properly, both the reg and HST need to be adjusted to a point of balance. Mine is shooting 10 g pellets around 700 fps. It's virtually silent, very accurate, great shot count, and still sufficiently powerful for squirrels. I believe that many folks who try this will find their sub-12 fpe rifle to be a favorite.

I agree with that last statement. I have a Anschutz 8002 Black Hunter that is the most accurate gun at 10-20 yards. It‘s FPS is 550 ish. I have a FX moderator on it and it’s totally silent. I’m trying to get close to that but with a magazine. I like the Tiapan option BUT the magazine is only 10 rounds. I’m also looking at the SKOUT EVO. It seems to be very tunable and the 177 mag holds ………..34 ROUNDS !!!!!!!!!! OMG

Obviously, our "backyards" vary a lot. For me, a true yard gun is a .177 that's tuned in the 10-12 fpe range. I have an HW100 carbine that I tuned to that level, and I've been very pleased with it. To do properly, both the reg and HST need to be adjusted to a point of balance. Mine is shooting 10 g pellets around 700 fps. It's virtually silent, very accurate, great shot count, and still sufficiently powerful for squirrels. I believe that many folks who try this will find their sub-12 fpe rifle to be a favorite.

100% Agree.

My .177 is tuned to just shy of 12 fpe. However its a pilot valved unregulated gun that is not fussy, no worries of cold shot behaviors, incredibly quiet, huge shot count and plenty of power. Definitely a fave for plinking at the homestead. I shoot 7.3's at 850, and 10 gr at 700 as well. I am lucky this gun likes the Crosman Piranha's in 10gr, cheap food.. Really don't need more for the standard backyard.

10 rounds mags aren't too bad, I can see the allure of high capacity magazines for some, but, smaller mags help me tame myself from shooting too much :ROFLMAO:

-Matt

THIS!! I rarely post a WTB ad anymore, it does open the floodgates of scammers. I just patiently wait for what I want comes up.

Obviously, our "backyards" vary a lot. For me, a true yard gun is a .177 that's tuned in the 10-12 fpe range.

VERY true.
If I was in a subdivision with the typical 25-30yard max distance yard, 10-12fpe would even be a bit much. I'd probably keep it to my 8.5fpe 1720t or even a 6fpe FWB 300s.

I've got 130 yards on my property, and 250+ if I utilize the neighboring fields, on which I also have permission to shoot.

The 19fpe is a perfect low power gun for me b/c it coincides with field target. So the pest birds under 75ish yards and the field target practice gets the 19fpe Veterans.

Reactions: Dairyboy