.177 Hades. Hero to Zero

J270

Aug 30, 2024
I am new to air guns, the ranch were we keep my wife's horse was over run with ground squirrels.
The wife said that I could upgrade the walmart springer to P.C.P so que the .177 M.Rod
Sight it in with the Hades and I was impressed with the accuracy!
10 shot groups I could cover with a quarter most of the time if I had any fliers it was no bigger then a 50 cent piece.
Let the Dirt Rat carnage begin.
I am a hunter (powder burners), and I was impressed with this pellets ability to do the job when it hit vitals they usually just did a little Australian Brake Dance and it was over.
Finally used that tin up, I purchased a new tin about 2 years later and I might as well be using a shot gun. I'm sorry for being long winded but I'm just trying to convey my disappointment.
I did test the gun with some of the pellets I have Jsb 8.44 still group good, Polly mags still group ok,
So what should I do roll the dice and buy another tin of Hades or look at something else.
20240610_194156.jpg

Any advise would be appreciated ttt

Screenshot_20230717-150221_Gallery.jpg

I am new to air guns, the ranch were we keep my wife's horse was over run with ground squirrels.
The wife said that I could upgrade the walmart springer to P.C.P so que the .177 M.Rod
Sight it in with the Hades and I was impressed with the accuracy!
10 shot groups I could cover with a quarter most of the time if I had any fliers it was no bigger then a 50 cent piece.
Let the Dirt Rat carnage begin.
I am a hunter (powder burners), and I was impressed with this pellets ability to do the job when it hit vitals they usually just did a little Australian Brake Dance and it was over.
Finally used that tin up, I purchased a new tin about 2 years later and I might as well be using a shot gun. I'm sorry for being long winded but I'm just trying to convey my disappointment.
I did test the gun with some of the pellets I have Jsb 8.44 still group good, Polly mags still group ok,
So what should I do roll the dice and buy another tin of Hades or look at something else.View attachment 492429
Any advise would be appreciated ttt

View attachment 492430
I haven't had any good experiences with JSB hades in .177 that being said I have a tin of .177 hades you can give a try, pm if you're interested. Otherwise I suggest going the H&N route and giving the barracuda hunters and the hunter extremes a try. They have never let me down in any of my .177 rifles.

I’ve had very good luck with the JSB KnockOut slugs in 10gr for ground squirrels out to 35 yards. The cavernous hollow point creates a loud POP on impact and dumps all energy inside the squirrels. No pass throughs. I’m pushing them at 1025fps for about 23fpe. Obviously, you may experience different results but my RTI just stacks them 😄

I’ve had very good luck with the JSB KnockOut slugs in 10gr for ground squirrels out to 35 yards. The cavernous hollow point creates a loud POP on impact and dumps all energy inside the squirrels. No pass throughs. I’m pushing them at 1025fps for about 23fpe. Obviously, you may experience different results but my RTI just stacks them 😄
Can you shoot slugs out of a bejamin mrod?, do you have any issues with pass through

There can certainly be differences between different batches of the same pellets, but your situation seems extreme. Maybe you got a bad batch and it made it through QC somehow. I would think it would be worth buying another tin from a different vendor, or maybe even try the FX Atomics which are just rebrands of the Hades but made with different dies. I shoot the Atomics exclusively now in 22.

And FWIW, once you do find pellets your gun loves, buy several tins of that same batch to help prevent this problem in the future, since it does sometimes happen when pellets are bought years apart. The dies can wear out over time and this can change the overall shape of the pellet. But as I said, your "shotgun" situation does seem extreme.

I haven't had any good experiences with JSB hades in .177 that being said I have a tin of .177 hades you can give a try, pm if you're interested. Otherwise I suggest going the H&N route and giving the barracuda hunters and the hunter extremes a try. They have never let me down in any of my .177 rifles.

Thank you for the offer but I am going to take your advice and order some H&N pellets.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I will chime in with my experience with 177 hunting. We use 22 and 25 Cal much more, but I have put a few pests away with a 177. Right now I have a cool Gamo Coyote in 177 that was shooting the new MK3 JSB KO Slugs at 900fps and crushed a pile of ground squirrels at about 25yds. I think if you can get 850fps out of your MRod those should work well still. Accuracy in my Gamo is stellar, but that might be the nice barrel it has. I have also used 177 H&N Barracuda, the Hunter Extremes, and the Crow Magnum in the past that work really well too. My good friend loves the 25Cal version of the H&N Hunter Extreme.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
This forum is great, thank you all for your input, I have acquired a chronograph from my F-in law so I'm about to get scientific on thies dirt rats! Going to make a pellet order and I can't wait to test and tune!
May have to get the new gamo urban out of the closet and tune her too,
DAM!!! Air guns are awesome,
It's funny I showed my F in law the Hatsan .30 machine gun and he bought it. Ha ha. Thanks all

This forum is great, thank you all for your input, I have acquired a chronograph from my F-in law so I'm about to get scientific on thies dirt rats! Going to make a pellet order and I can't wait to test and tune!
May have to get the new gamo urban out of the closet and tune her too,
DAM!!! Air guns are awesome,
It's funny I showed my F in law the Hatsan .30 machine gun and he bought it. Ha ha. Thanks all
If you are going to put in an order Id consider adding a tin of the 22Cal version of the Hades to try in your Urban. They are a more traditional design and shoot very well in more rifles. I have tested them in at least 10 different pcps by now and each one has been great. That includes an Urban, a Coyote, and the BSA Buccaneer which has the same barrel blank. I think the 177 Hades is a more finicky pellet design with few barrels doing well with them.

And on other note, I dont know if you have tried cleaning out your current 177 barrel and re-testing. Pellets and pellet guns are very sensitive to any variables and a little fouling can really open up groups.

If you are going to put in an order Id consider adding a tin of the 22Cal version of the Hades to try in your Urban. They are a more traditional design and shoot very well in more rifles. I have tested them in at least 10 different pcps by now and each one has been great. That includes an Urban, a Coyote, and the BSA Buccaneer which has the same barrel blank. I think the 177 Hades is a more finicky pellet design with few barrels doing well with them.

And on other note, I dont know if you have tried cleaning out your current 177 barrel and re-testing. Pellets and pellet guns are very sensitive to any variables and a little fouling can really open up groups.
Hey thanks Mon

Reactions: MongooseV8
I know this is sort of off topic. But as of late I've been having SEVERE accuracy issues with .22 JSB pellets in guns that formerly grouped them tighter than a politicians anus at a corruption hearing.

2 guns now, the last two tins of JSB exact jumbo and 1 Hades have gone from reliably grouping one hole to 2-3" circles of random jumbled crap. I call them Jackson Pollock groups. It's not the guns. I cleaned barrels, I tried ALL THE OTHER pellets. NSA slugs: perfect, JTS: PERFECT, BARACUDA 15: OK BUT AS GOOD AS they ever were, old JSB from 2008. PERFECT. The last tin of fx 15.9s perfect, JSB Hades. POLLOCK original JSB exact POLLOCK original. All tins M 44/08 bought in last 2 weeks

My latest order of 15.89 jsb .22 shoot exceptionally well

My latest order of 7.3 gr jsb .177 shoot exceptionally well too.

Likewise, the 10gr JSB Hades are...again shooting amazingly well.

I have yet to experience the "Sky is falling" effect for JSB pellets...however JTS/AEA are amazing contenders that have knocked JSB off the pedestal which the community has held them at for so long.

-Matt

Last edited:

I have yet to experience the "Sky is falling" effect for JSB pellets as of yet...however JTS/AEA are amazing contenders that have knocked JSB off the pedestal which the community has held them at for so long.

-Matt

The really sad part about that is that (in my opinion) it looks like JTS straight up copied many of JSB's pellet designs. I've never shot JTS, but I remember when they came out noting how the shapes and weights were nearly identical to the most common JSB designs. They just looked like clones to me. Even the three letter name JTS smacks of a JSB knock-off to me. Easy to swoop in and undercut your competitor when you don't have to do any of your own R&D.

Reactions: john8
The really sad part about that is that (in my opinion) it looks like JTS straight up copied many of JSB's pellet designs. I've never shot JTS, but I remember when they came out noting how the shapes and weights were nearly identical to the most common JSB designs. They just looked like clones to me. Even the three letter name JTS smacks of a JSB knock-off to me. Easy to swoop in and undercut your competitor when you don't have to do any of your own R&D.
You could say the same thing about H&N, Norma, Gamo, and Benjamin.

Also JTS is it's own brand and has been an established company since 1992. Sure they may be newish to the airgun game in comparison. But all companies take something from each other. JTS and AEA have similar sized pellets and shapes but the metal in them is different as well as how clean they are in comparison, how much thicker they are, and how deep the skirts sit.

Reactions: Dairyboy

I have yet to experience the "Sky is falling" effect for JSB pellets as of yet...however JTS/AEA are amazing contenders that have knocked JSB off the pedestal which the community has held them at for so long.

-Matt
Glad the 10.3gr hades are working for ya.