.177 Hades. Hero to Zero

I had issues with JSBs well before Covid. Batch to batch issues with 18gr JSBs. Switched to 15gr and were more consistent but still had some here and there that wouldn't perform great. Heck I had issues with my first PCP 8 years ago. My Mrod shot great with my first tin of 18gr pellets. Ended up buying more after that and garbage. Ended up replacing my barrel to a MMHF to use those pellets. Granted .22 benjamin barrels had issues back in the day but I had that first tin do extremely well, ordered more then it was a shotgun. So the problem was there but got worse as time went on. But why care when they were top dog? Now that others are switching to other brands, myself included, one would assume they are working to get their QC better. But until widely proven and if JTS pellets fail me I see no reason to switch back.

As far as Hades go have had zero luck with .177s and .22s my first batch was great and 2nd batch so so and I never bought them again. I know people love them but they don't expand enough for me to give up the accuracy of the standard domes.

Reactions: $p00kygH0ST
I had issues with JSBs well before Covid. Batch to batch issues with 18gr JSBs. Switched to 15gr and were more consistent but still had some here and there that wouldn't perform great. Heck I had issues with my first PCP 8 years ago. My Mrod shot great with my first tin of 18gr pellets. Ended up buying more after that and garbage. Ended up replacing my barrel to a MMHF to use those pellets. Granted .22 benjamin barrels had issues back in the day but I had that first tin do extremely well, ordered more then it was a shotgun. So the problem was there but got worse as time went on. But why care when they were top dog? Now that others are switching to other brands, myself included, one would assume they are working to get their QC better. But until widely proven and if JTS pellets fail me I see no reason to switch back.

As far as Hades go have had zero luck with .177s and .22s my first batch was great and 2nd batch so so and I never bought them again. I know people love them but they don't expand enough for me to give up the accuracy of the standard domes
With Hades, I've had incredible accuracy. .25 I've had nothing but luck. But the sub .03 bc on .25 has me impose a limit for 70y max on anything with a pulse. I REALLY don't like when whatever I've shot has to spend time cognizant of what's just happened to it. Had one issue where I removed the front leg of a squirrel and opened up his underside requiring a close up coup de grâce. Another I again had a great stabilized bead on his heart/lungs and it just ends up paralyzing the poor tree rat. He's army crawling dragging his legs for his life when I had to grab the crown and blaze a monster thru his head. 70 an in and the Hades in .25 is a freaking problem for local wildlife. I stick to 55 and in with .22. Always have great accuracy with them until 55-60. Domes are the way to go unless you've got a gun that can tack drive baracuda hunters or extremes/poly mags. I still prefer domes.

I've been shocked by how bad some tins have arrived. Chattered up skirts, crushed skirts, gashed heads. But when they're in good shape, they just go thru the same hole more often than not. Like a magnet for the crosshair. This is the first and only time I have had issue with JSB.

H&N when good are great. When they aren't man do they ****ing seem to go all over the place

Only two of my guns like JSBs best, my P35-25 and my 25 caliber Avenger. The P35 likes the heavies and the Avenger the Kings (actually the FX 25.4s shoot at least as well). So I do not shoot a lot of JSB pellets. I've weighed a bunch of 25 caliber trying to figure out why my cast pellets do not shoot well in my guns. I found higher variability than in my cast but guns that like them still like them. I've checked head size in 177 and 22 and they were as consistent as the H&Ns I shoot in those guns.

My main reason for posting is to reinforce Scott's input. Domed pellets work great for hunting. "Hunting" pellets are fine if that is what your gun prefers but if the domed shoot as well, I would use them (and I do). If pellets expand their penetration is dramatically reduced. That can be OK if you have plenty but is not OK if you don't have plenty. From my way of thinking a 177 pretty much never has an abundance of penetration. I calculated the percentage of area destroyed by a 177 pellet with zero expansion for a squirrel and then related it to the much bigger cross section of a deer. I think you need a 0.75 inch hole in the deer to destroy an equivalent percentage. To me that means a .177 hole is enough. That is also my experience. I have used my one 177 less than my multiple 22 and 25s but the 12 tree squirrels I've taken with it have died quickly except for one shot I badly misplaced. That squirrel died close to where it fell but we could not find it. I think it crawled up under a bush. My dog found the degraded body a day or two later. An expanding projectile would not have helped, it probably would have made it worse by reducing the penetration depth.

To me hunting pellets were invented by somebody wanting to sell more pellets. They just are not necessary or even always helpful. If you already have domed pellets your gun likes at least as well, my strong recommendation is to use them.

Reactions: Dairyboy
Only two of my guns like JSBs best, my P35-25 and my 25 caliber Avenger. The P35 likes the heavies and the Avenger the Kings (actually the FX 25.4s shoot at least as well). So I do not shoot a lot of JSB pellets. I've weighed a bunch of 25 caliber trying to figure out why my cast pellets do not shoot well in my guns. I found higher variability than in my cast but guns that like them still like them. I've checked head size in 177 and 22 and they were as consistent as the H&Ns I shoot in those guns.

My main reason for posting is to reinforce Scott's input. Domed pellets work great for hunting. "Hunting" pellets are fine if that is what your gun prefers but if the domed shoot as well, I would use them (and I do). If pellets expand their penetration is dramatically reduced. That can be OK if you have plenty but is not OK if you don't have plenty. From my way of thinking a 177 pretty much never has an abundance of penetration. I calculated the percentage of area destroyed by a 177 pellet with zero expansion for a squirrel and then related it to the much bigger cross section of a deer. I think you need a 0.75 inch hole in the deer to destroy an equivalent percentage. To me that means a .177 hole is enough. That is also my experience. I have used my one 177 less than my multiple 22 and 25s but the 12 tree squirrels I've taken with it have died quickly except for one shot I badly misplaced. That squirrel died close to where it fell but we could not find it. I think it crawled up under a bush. My dog found the degraded body a day or two later. An expanding projectile would not have helped, it probably would have made it worse by reducing the penetration depth.

To me hunting pellets were invented by somebody wanting to sell more pellets. They just are not necessary or even always helpful. If you already have domed pellets your gun likes at least as well, my strong recommendation is to use them.
I tried to explain to a friend that hitting a squirrel with even a .177 is about the same as us being hit by a 23mm Zu23 autocannon round.

images (1).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: J270 and Stubbers
It was a nice cool calm Saturday morning. My loving wife knows how twitchy I get when any of my guns powder burners or air are not performing to my vexpectations so I was given a pass on honey dues to get my mental airgun drama packed away.
After taking in all of the information, ideas and suggestions along with a little more research I took my new tins of pellets to the back half and bagged up.
I first shot the Benjamin and then the Gamo Urban.
When I shot the Urban my 1st group With the Hades was trashy, then by chance someone texted me so put my reading glasses on and I then looked at the tin of Hades .22 and could see quite a few pellets that had bent skirts,
So.. with glasses on reloaded my mag to shoot another group. I whent through 14 pellets to get a full 10 round mag, then I shot the second group, I know realize the importance of sorting and culling the junk. Thanks again everyone for your time and imput!!
20240921_093842.jpg
20240921_100846.jpg