.177 Pellet clipping on my Crosman1377

I was pulling out my hair all day trying to sight in my 1377 with a new scope. The pellets were all over the place and would not group. I ran out of elevation on my vintage Weaver scope, which up to this point had been spot on. I finally recalled reading about pellet "clipping" the moderator, so I took off the custom moderator I had on the gun for the past two years and slipped on the .25 cal stock moderator from my FX Crown. Problem solved. I put on another scope and dialed it in at 10 yards. It shoots dime sized groups with every pellet I tried from 7.3; 8.3; 8.4; 10.3 JSB Diablos and 7.5 Crossman Hollow Points.

Thought I would load the photo of the clipping evidence in the muzzle of the moderator and the "look" of the much larger FX stock moderator, which really muffles the pistol making it a backyard choice.

1674960279557.jpeg

1674960329032.jpeg

I was pulling out my hair all day trying to sight in my 1377 with a new scope. The pellets were all over the place and would not group. I ran out of elevation on my vintage Weaver scope, which up to this point had been spot on. I finally recalled reading about pellet "clipping" the moderator, so I took off the custom moderator I had on the gun for the past two years and slipped on the .25 cal stock moderator from my FX Crown. Problem solved. I put on another scope and dialed it in at 10 yards. It shoots dime sized groups with every pellet I tried from 7.3; 8.3; 8.4; 10.3 JSB Diablos and 7.5 Crossman Hollow Points.

Thought I would load the photo of the clipping evidence in the muzzle of the moderator and the "look" of the much larger FX stock moderator, which really muffles the pistol making it a backyard choice.

View attachment 327516

View attachment 327517
Hello @orangeokie

Boy "clipping" can drive you crazy until you realize the problem. I just went through a like problem with a Snowpeak PP800R with a bad "crown" in the muzzle of the barrel. Glad you discovered your problem early on.

ThomasT

Reactions: orangeokie
I had a real conundrum on a crosman once. Had pellet clipping so changed moderator. Still had issues, checked it over and over. Recrowned barrel, checked breech screws etc. Turns out somehow the scope took a crap during this process and was the culprit!
Had this happen before. Didn't discover till I had a custom LW barrel made 🤦

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein