1st time buyer of PCP Airgun disappointed

Guess I've had a POS in lots of ventures. I believe every price point probably has a bust in some manner. I find that when I try to save some bucks, something gets cut either between quality and what I really wanted. I've had to work under a budget and also patience is a virtue. It's an embarrassment for me and likely the fan crew behind the brand would have a field day in the end with me if I was to bring up my PCP blunder on AN. Overall, information seems to have improved between social media and forums. Whatever pro or con pops up consistently, you are on a good track for making a good choice. Those senior members with a couple of hundred air rifles in a vault in various configs and calibers, tend to get my attention :unsure:

I shot springers for 40 years and then in 2020 changed over to PCP slowly selling them off and getting PCP's. I enjoyed spring guns but was ready for the change. I would only get an AA or HW however plenty accurate out to 50 yds. I have been pretty lucky with my PCP choices and have mostly stuck to higher end guns and have had a couple issues but nothing major. I am not a Hatsan fan based on my springer experience. I would recommend a Maurader or Cayden (which I had and loved) for a new PCP person. Designed for the American market 5 yr warranty and good quality for the price. I know the cost seems steep to get into PCP but but compared to other hobbies or "toys" it's really not. What's a boat, a motorcycle, atv or set of golf clubs going to cost you? I also bought 3/4 of my rifles uses and they all look brand new so there are deals to be had if you look around many right here on the classifieds. Hope your PCP experience improves with time.

I agree and think this is a bigger problem that is being laughed off by the entire industry. I spoke with New England Air guns owner today and he in no uncertain words told me they all leak and that's just something we have to accept across all brands as normal despite the outrageous prices on these Airguns. Bin from Bin Tac blames the customer for the PCP problems despite them always being right out of the box issues everyone who buys them have to deal with despite paying more than a firearm for them. I have spent 50 thousand dollars on PCP rifles over the past 10 years. Every single air rifle I have ever purchased as a PCP leaks air day one and constantly after until the gun is so useless it cannot be used . Replacing seals is impossible to prepare for as they all use freak sized seals and do not offer exploded diagrams of the Airguns they manufacture .Also without many exceptions they break parts constantly and the replacement of parts that break before the gun is broke in falls always on the customer and not the manufacture as they want us to just accept products that are insanely overpriced and are always malfunctioning. They all pretty much without fail will have some part break immediately and when you try to get them warrantied you get push back from most if not all of the companies as they just want you to accept bad products. PCP at least big bore PCP are kind of a huge joke that are ripping anyone who buys them off and asking every customer to accept unusual amounts of dysfunction as "normal" despite some of these air rifles costing us thousands and thousands of dollars. The typical problems that come with PCP big bores are standard and no one who makes them seems to care to fix the issue or blames the customer for being to picky while charging upwards and over $2000 dollars for garbage that will not serve the user unless they put another $1000 dollars into the thing and that will only last a few shoots before the fix starts breaking. PCP manufactures are producing single shot rifles and and charging as much as it costs for a Daniel Defense AR 15 or more and refuse to advance the product to repeat fire shooting and get angered when you ask them why? The truth is they are making great cash off not changing the market. Others are piecing together great ideas but not testing them enough before they come to the market and force customers to pay to repair their manufacturing flaws. If you are thinking about joining the PCP airgun community and you are not a millionaire with a lot of time to invest I strongly suggest you do not buy these products from any company. Benjamin Hatsan, AEA, Western Airguns, Evanix, Umarex and everything in between. They all are not well made and cost far to much money . There are no good manufactures of PCP airguns and it almost seems they want it this way so they do not get regulated by government. If you want to waste your money and hate everyone who sells the items you hunt with then you should get into pcp airguns. No other reason though because they are not good products and no one seems to care.

1716435708459.gif

Have used break barrels for a very longtime.
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Figured it was a small air tank purchased the hand pump and some ammo.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

You started with a cheap Chinese gun. You got what you paid for. If you stick around long enough, you won't make that mistake again. Daystate, FX, BSA, Air Arms, American Air Arms are solid, quality rifles.

This rifle got great reviews even claimed it was great for those wanting to move to PCP.
I saw people with guns that cost more and had similar issues, So it's the technology it's silly to spend a grand or so on a scuba tank for guns that costs $300-1000$.
That's like buying an old chevette and dropping $10K IN RIMS ON IT.
Just exchange it for another at Dicks.
This problem you are having with the flash IS NOT common.
It’s a great entry level gun. Only thing I dislike about my Flassh is the stock. Wish I had got the wood version

Did you try to find where its leaking?
leaking at the fill port. i filled it with a compressor, and when I opened the bleed port on the compressor, it just leak out all the air in the gun's air tube. if I pull out the fill probe half way, I could hear the air coming out from the fill port, until the air pressure goes down to zero. it wasn't like that the first 3-4 fills.

I agree and think this is a bigger problem that is being laughed off by the entire industry. I spoke with New England Air guns owner today and he in no uncertain words told me they all leak and that's just something we have to accept across all brands as normal despite the outrageous prices on these Airguns. Bin from Bin Tac blames the customer for the PCP problems despite them always being right out of the box issues everyone who buys them have to deal with despite paying more than a firearm for them. I have spent 50 thousand dollars on PCP rifles over the past 10 years. Every single air rifle I have ever purchased as a PCP leaks air day one and constantly after until the gun is so useless it cannot be used . Replacing seals is impossible to prepare for as they all use freak sized seals and do not offer exploded diagrams of the Airguns they manufacture .Also without many exceptions they break parts constantly and the replacement of parts that break before the gun is broke in falls always on the customer and not the manufacture as they want us to just accept products that are insanely overpriced and are always malfunctioning. They all pretty much without fail will have some part break immediately and when you try to get them warrantied you get push back from most if not all of the companies as they just want you to accept bad products. PCP at least big bore PCP are kind of a huge joke that are ripping anyone who buys them off and asking every customer to accept unusual amounts of dysfunction as "normal" despite some of these air rifles costing us thousands and thousands of dollars. The typical problems that come with PCP big bores are standard and no one who makes them seems to care to fix the issue or blames the customer for being to picky while charging upwards and over $2000 dollars for garbage that will not serve the user unless they put another $1000 dollars into the thing and that will only last a few shoots before the fix starts breaking. PCP manufactures are producing single shot rifles and and charging as much as it costs for a Daniel Defense AR 15 or more and refuse to advance the product to repeat fire shooting and get angered when you ask them why? The truth is they are making great cash off not changing the market. Others are piecing together great ideas but not testing them enough before they come to the market and force customers to pay to repair their manufacturing flaws. If you are thinking about joining the PCP airgun community and you are not a millionaire with a lot of time to invest I strongly suggest you do not buy these products from any company. Benjamin Hatsan, AEA, Western Airguns, Evanix, Umarex and everything in between. They all are not well made and cost far to much money . There are no good manufactures of PCP airguns and it almost seems they want it this way so they do not get regulated by government. If you want to waste your money and hate everyone who sells the items you hunt with then you should get into pcp airguns. No other reason though because they are not good products and no one seems to care.
That’s too bad you have had a lot of issues. I’ve had a few, -mostly from just buying a basket case gun and having to reseal it…3-4 times because I had no idea what I was doing and kept cutting seals.

After putting in some extra time deburing and smoothing things up a new seal set goes in easily with much higher probability of success. Like anything they all have quirks and bugs. But how many things in day to day life are supposed to hold 3000-4500 psi, and meter it out precisely. The seals deal with extreme pressures, with breathing air containing oxygen and probably a little moisture-which leads to corrosion/oxidization of the seals. Also there’s aluminum and steel, dissimilar metals making contact that will create corrosion over time as well….

Problematic conditions for sure.

All that said, my experience is that once you go through one thoroughly and ensure that each system is working correctly I leaned it up in the corner and forgot about it for 6 months and the pressure never dropped…

I suspect once one has them dialed in then unless they ingested a bit of grime that prevents a fill fitting from sealing or the firing/poppet valve from sealing. You pretty much should be good til the orings fail from oxidation/aging.

Reactions: Buckshutr
leaking at the fill port. i filled it with a compressor, and when I opened the bleed port on the compressor, it just leak out all the air in the gun's air tube. if I pull out the fill probe half way, I could hear the air coming out from the fill port, until the air pressure goes down to zero. it wasn't like that the first 3-4 fills.
There's a screw inside with a oring on it that probably needs replaced. Some have had luck with putting a couple drops of silicone oil in fill probe and after airing up it stopped the leak

Reactions: BABz58
There's a screw inside with a oring on it that probably needs replaced. Some have had luck with putting a couple drops of silicone oil in fill probe and after airing up it stopped the leak
A little silicon spray lube in the fill port fixed my Jet1 when I first got it. Has held air perfectly since. Definitely worth a try.

I've never owned a Hatsan or a big bore. Hatsans seem too heavy to me. I own three SPA guns, P35s. SPA makes the Notos even though they do not sell it under their name. I have had to replace O-rings in two of my three P35s. I've had them 2-3 years. Based upon how the replacement O-rings hold up versus the SPA ones the SPA O-rings are not as high a quality. But I do not consider my P35s to be problematic. Maybe that will change with time. I hope not. My Avenger leaked when I got it and it cost me $40 to send it back to be repaired under warranty. I did not love that but it has worked fine since. I do not shoot it much because it is so darn long. My most recent purchase was an Air Maks Caiman. I think it had a design issue plus some evidence of poor assembly but I fixed it and it is a good rifle now. It seems to be significantly better machined than my Avenger or P35s. I like it but I think it should have arrived in better shape. It cost a lot more than my other guns. I also have a Benjamin Prod and it has been trouble free from day one. I've owned it about 4 years, it was my first PCP purchase.

Nothing in my experience makes me want to say bad things about PCPs or stop using them. I probably didn't pick the best "expensive" PCP to buy but I am not sure I will go back there. My cheaper guns work fine and are more fun to shoot (except for the Avenger) than my Caiman. I have 3 22s and 2 25s and 1 177. I might "need" another 177 and if I bought one today it would be a Stoeger bullshark. Pretty much another P35. I'm totally OK if others prefer the "high end" PCPs but my lighter just-as-accurate P35s suit me fine. At least that's what I think now.

Reactions: BABz58
Have used break barrels for a very longtime.
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Figured it was a small air tank purchased the hand pump and some ammo.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

Its an expensive hobby, nothing wrong with springers

I don't know what kind of rifles JesusoftheApes is buying but my experience has been quite the opposite. I've bought and sold more guns (PCPs) on here than I can count and had virtually no leaking issues. I've torn them down to adjust regulators and used the original seals when I put them back together and no issues. My current Vulcan 3 sits waiting until I need it with no air loss and is dead on when I take that 1st shot. Like anything in this world you get what you pay for.

Reactions: sekiar and BABz58
Bad info, Yet another reason to avoid New England Air Guns.