1st time buyer of PCP Airgun disappointed

Another great first-time back yard plinker and pesting rifle.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Your opinion. I have several that serve me well.
Had a sortie and still have a nova star. Bar none, some of the worst machining/finish and use of materials I have ever seen on an airgun. I can list probably at least 20 things that were and some that are still wrong with my Nova Star. A $900+ gun. Not really an opinion. First hand experince. Glad yours have, and continue to serve you well, however.

Use the search feature. I know it aint just me. I've read countless posts. Comparatively, far more bad ones than most other mfgs. Just cause you get good ones doesn't mean other people arent getting bad ones. Like, I would apply the addage that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But that is absolutely not the case here. There is a small mountain of evidence siding with my "opinion".

Had a sortie and still have a nova star. Bar none, some of the worst machining/finish and use of materials I have ever seen on an airgun. I can list probably at least 20 things that were and some that are still wrong with my Nova Star. A $900+ gun. Not really an opinion. First hand experince. Glad yours have, and continue to serve you well, however.
They are all however springers. Owned a PCP once a few years ago. Had to see what all the hype was about. Have zero interest in them.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
They are all however springers. Owned a PCP once a few years ago. Had to see what all the hype was about. Have zero interest in them.
Yeah, it seems the overwhelming majority of their springers are decent or good. The pcps seem to be a whole nother story. While a large number of people do have good things to say about their pcps, there is also far too many that have serious issues. Far too many is an opinion, sure. But having owned two of their pcp's and noting some design flaws that are shared across every single one they built.... Not good. Seems earlier models use weaker alloys, and as reports of failures come in, they upgrade the component materials. Which, in some aspect, is a good thing. But proper R&D, or engineering would have prevented the entire scenario. My nova star's action looks like someone milled it using sheer guestimation. The magazine does not even come close to properly fitting the slot for it. The rails are far from standard to anything. The 11mm rail has to be larger than 13mm, the 20mm rail is seriously over-sized as well. Fair amount of scope rings wont even fit on it. And the spacing for the notches where the ring bolts slot thru are spaced sporatically. No standardized spacing. Reciever came with factory featured gouges on the side. Hole milled for cocking handle was crooked and off center. The cocking handle would just flop open on it's own cause it wasn't fully shutting the way it should. In additon, the gas block was much the same. It was milled many, many degrees out of square, causing the whole gun to assemble crooked so severely that you could either choose to install the barrel or the bottle. Not both. This among many other issues. How a $900 gun can be so, so bad is beyond me. And that's just starting to get into the issues with it. The barrel was bad, too. Had tight spots in the middle, so the pellets just kind of fell out of the muzzle. Just one thing after another after another. The trigger housing is plastic for god's sake. Nothing you do will take the sponge out of it aside from milling one from metal yourself. And more! I could understand having 1 or two, maybe 3 issues, but the list just goes on and on and on.

• Wow
Reactions: .20calguy
I respect your decision to stick with break barrels. PCP's require a lot more expense and tinkering to work properly. There are a lot more variables to consider. In your case, I think you should stick to break barrels.
What I would give to spend 8 hours at my gun club just shooting my TX200. Good time.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Have used break barrels for a very longtime.
Decided I would go ahead and test the waters and buy the Hatsan Flash QE PCP air rifle .25 caliber.
Figured it was a small air tank purchased the hand pump and some ammo.
Only to find that it's not holding the air it's been a very unpleasant experience and has made me feel that these guns are not that great.
I've heard valve open needs a push of air from a tank ridiculous that is even necessary. This isn't a realistic way to get a new air gun working out of the box.
Sucks I really was happy about the purchase now it's going back. I'll stick with break barrels they actually work out of the box.

Wondering if anyone else has had same negative experience with these over priced guns? Funny reviewers praise these things because they have everything needed to set them up. For the average person these guns are quite terrible. Between the over priced junk hand pumps or buy a $2000 scuba tank to get them to work if they arrive with 0 pressure.

User error,...all you have to do to fill an empty gun is to cock it.

Second mistake is to buy a Hatsan :ROFLMAO:

The sad thing is, I don't think the actual problem was ever accurately assessed. Whether due to the OP not knowing enough or the responders not being able to understand the problem due to the OP's ignorance.

Not placing blame on anyone, but I wonder and will await what the OP finds out with his purchase of a 1/8 quick connect.

I don't own the same gun and have no experience at all with it, but a quick look on Amazon seemed to show fill probes for it.

If Hatsan doesn't provide a fill probe that is readily usable with a foster fitting, I know I will never buy a Hatsan. I hate proprietary fill probes!

Especially if they don't fit on a standard foster fitting which all pumps and compressors use as a standard. At least all I have used.

All my best!

Kerry

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I respect your decision to stick with break barrels. PCP's require a lot more expense and tinkering to work properly. There are a lot more variables to consider. In your case, I think you should stick to break barrels.
Not all pcp's require tinkering. Most FX's yes. But many to most pcp's are set and forget. my daystate hunstman revere and redwolf and brk ghost were fine out of the box.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I got it from Dicks Sporting goods. Really was looking forward to it. I did order a electric pump but I have been told chances are will not work either.
Lots of returning to do. :-(
Was told to hit up some scuba shops ? WTF?>? To try and explain something that they probably know absolutely nothing about. No less drive about NO think not.
thats sadly part of your problem. Especially with how anti gun they are. Box store staff rarely know anything about what they sell. Stick with a reputable airgun retailer as others have suggested.

Hatsan is one of the worst manufacturers. Many to most here refuse to buy anything made in turkey, spain and very little made in china. Hatsan and gamo being two of the main ones to avoid.

There are ALOT of good lower price PCP's, the Avenge x is one of the better ones.

Not sure why you are claiming a scba tank costs you $2000. A 97cubic foot tank at pyramid air is only $700.

A GX cs4 pump is less than 600 on amazon and allows you to fill tanks down the road.

Try to find other shooters in your area, or a club as many will let you try their rifles. It can be a source of great info.

(I love Dick’s by the way - every time I fly out to see my family in the states I ditch the wife and spend an hour or so - compared to Europe prices it is practically free for fishing tackle)
cabelas or bass pro shop is far better. Dicks is very anti gun evidenced by their destroying all firearms they had vs selling them as they virtue signaled to the masses.

it's a mess I really tried getting this to work. On the 8th hour now. very frustrating I don't like giving up but I am over my head here. I doin't have any of the hardware needed to get into PCP airguns. This isn't some easy starter like reviewers snag you with. I feel so ripped right now I haven't been played like this since I was a teen I am now at about $700+ in between the gun and the hand pump and the ordered electric pump plus the ammo. Forgot I had to order a scope as well this gun has no sights another $100 I am in.
only $700 in? that also is part of your problem. Sadly you are experiencing a case of you get what you pay for. A decent pump will run you 300-400 at least but one that will last will cost more. the GX cs4 is a good choice.

You are sadly finding that most reviewers are nothing more than infomercials for guns. Many have revealed that before they get a gun to test they have to sign NDA's which often state that nothing negative can be said in their video. this makes them infomercials not reviews.

There are some that are alot better and have the ability to talk about the pros and cons and negatives of each. Look at those more.

Use the search feature. I know it aint just me. I've read countless posts. Comparatively, far more bad ones than most other mfgs. Just cause you get good ones doesn't mean other people arent getting bad ones. Like, I would apply the addage that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But that is absolutely not the case here. There is a small mountain of evidence siding with my "opinion".
When looking to get into pcp's and doing my research I saw far far too many problems with hatsan. Even saw some videos about how bad they were. no way I would ever invest a dime in them. Theres a reason they are so inexpensive.

Buy nice or buy twice is a very true addage that I go by.

Nope I think break barrels suck. Accuracy just isn’t there as easily when compared to a pcp. In most instances it just isn’t there or not possible basically. They recoil and tear up scopes. You are only going to get so much power out of one. Not my thing whatsoever. However if you don’t like them that is cool. That is why we have so many different options.

I had to remove the one on hose in hand to put the Hatsan one on it.

View attachment 403871

View attachment 403872
the brass part on the right, can you see through it or is it solid? If you connect it to the pump can you pump air through it? if not its a deadhead cap. If you can, Are you able to connect it to the fill adapter and push air through it with the pump or do you get the same result of it maxing out in a few pumps? If not then its the fill adapter thats the problem.

It appears you are in florida right? Honestly there are many members there and many clubs in various parts of florida that ive seen. It would be worth finding them as they could help you along the right path. A quick google search for air rifle shop florida shows several: central florida airguns, airgun one inc, airgun adventures to name a few

Reactions: cavedweller
Not all pcp's require tinkering. Most FX's yes. But many to most pcp's are set and forget. my daystate hunstman revere and redwolf and brk ghost were fine out of the box.

actually,
yes,
all pcp's require tuning of some sort to get them shooting their very best.

whether its adjusting velocity for different weight pellets/slugs,
fine tuning the hammer spring to flatten the extreme spread/standard deviation,
adjusting the trigger (most suck out of the box)
etc,etc....

some are adequate out of the box,
but all can be made better by tuning.

Reactions: cavedweller
I have the .30cal Hatsan break barrel it's awesome.
I am seriously disappointed with the PCP I'll try the 1/8 quick connect when it gets here. And found a PCP tank for like $85 so if I can't get the hand pump or electric pump to work I'll just go another $100 in why not.

I'd imagine can get the tank filled at any scuba shop? does it have to be a certain mixture in the oxygen when it gets filled?

Last edited: