1st time buyer of PCP Airgun disappointed

Thanks for the picture of your probe and where you are attaching it to your pump. You definitely need an adapter for the probe so you can use the foster fitting I assume was on the end of the little filter piece you are screwing the probe to. I would think the way you attached things would let you get air out of the pump but I don't know what is in the piece you removed from the filter to attach the probe. I know you feel like you've spent a lot of time and money already but getting the probe properly configured for the pump would be worthwhile in my opinion just to know for sure that something you have is not functioning correctly.

You decision to try a Hatsan makes sense since you like their break barrels. You may have received a "bad one" or might be just an adapter away from success.

Understand that you're upset, first experience with a new technology that you're not familiar with and nothing is going right.

A friend had the same frustration with a magnum springer that he bought to slay groundhogs invading the garden.

Cocking force was over 50 pounds, report and buzz could wake the dead, firing cycle was a harsh slap in the face, 6 inch groups at 20 yards was the best he could get before it destroyed his scope. Bought on an "all sales final" sale he was stuck with it.

He then bought an Air Venturi Avenger and a second hand scuba tank... groundhogs are no longer an issue. 🙂

Yeah, bad first experience, give it another chance.

Cheers!

I spent $800+ on this and it don't work why would I ever consider to spend more? Some may think ahh only $800 but sorry if you buy something and it's advertised to work it should regardless of cost. Saw plenty of videos of this air gun working great,
Yes it should work. Yes sadly there are many infomercial videos out there. But buying something from a box store like Dickson is part of the problem. I listed some airgun stores I found via a Google search that might be close. They should be able to help you more than dicks. That or Pyramid air or airguns of Arizona will be more helpful.
An avenge x is a great pcp that doesn't break the bank.

You'd mentioned a $100 optic. That doesn't get you much you can rely on.

Sorry this was your first pcp experience. It really is a wonderful hobby.

I introduced a friend today to air gunning after we got done working. He was hooked and commented how peaceful and relaxing it was.

Try to find others to shoot with or a club nearby to look at others that are being enjoyed.

Got air in. Now I keep getting cartridge jams. SO Hatsan says to release bolts for barrel and adjust to cart., Did that but now the outer barrel won't go all the way down and spins. And still jams this is not a starter gun at all. Hopefully I can figure out this issue next. I read other peoples experience with this gun and it seems i have an issue at every turn.

Last edited:
I'm glad you got air into it.

Is another word for "cartridge" magazine? Are the pellets getting stuck in the magazine or is it not rotating into position for the pellet to be pushed into the end of the barrel? I do not know much about Hatsans but magazines are a fairly typical complaint for less expensive guns. Some of my SPA guns have magazines that work OK but some of them have to be jiggled some to get a pellet out. I purchased after market magazines from CARM that work great. They probably have them for your Hatsan.

The barrel probably has a divot in it, an indentation. That is for a screw to go into to clamp the barrel in the right location. It has to be turned to the right angle for air to enter it from below. I don't understand how changing the barrel would help the magazine but the way to set the barrel right is to get the screw in the action to enter the divot on the barrel.

I return the pump if you can and buy another if you can't. Fortunately they are not terribly expensive. You might try putting a little silicone oil in it first. When mine acted up a little oil often fixed them.

I spent $800+ on this and it don't work why would I ever consider to spend more? Some may think ahh only $800 but sorry if you buy something and it's advertised to work it should regardless of cost. Saw plenty of videos of this air gun working great,
Because that isn't the norm, not even close...either a lemon or 2 or user error, either way PCP tech is fantastic that is why they rule the airgun world by a vast margin

Last edited:
Got air in. Now I keep getting cartridge jams. SO Hatsan says to release bolts for barrel and adjust to cart., Did that but now the outer barrel won't go all the way down and spins. And still jams this is not a starter gun at all. Hopefully I can figure out this issue next. I read other peoples experience with this gun and it seems i have an issue at every turn.
That is a NEW gun. There is ZERO reason you should be putting so much effort into getting it working correctly. Why are you so set in trying to get it going?

You should be returning it or at least exchanging it to avoid causing your warranty to be voided. It would suck to still have problems, try to return it and they deny that return because of all your tinkering as they could easily claim that you damaged it.

I had a new pcp arrive that wasnt holding air. Im very mechanically inclined with over 30 years as an aircraft mech. They sent me a return label and suggested a couple things I could try if I wanted to. I found one leak at a gauge, snugged it with a stubby 7/8's wrench. still leaked and stopped there as I wasn't going to risk damaging it and voiding the warranty. It cost me a few weeks time but was cheap compared to paying to have it fixed myself.

Reactions: BluegrassBill2020