2 (.5, .5, .5) rodents down

Went out to my permission this am 0730 with my faithful retriever Pete. Bright sunny day barely a breeze so it was WARM. An official, where in the H are the rodents? Last week they were there then disappeared when I drove in, this time we went in the back way and NOTHING. We were getting set up, Pete walked my target out to 75 yards, while I unpacked the .25 Raptor that will be using the RMR/FX Hybrids at 1040fps. Started plinking at the big steel and missing so started dialing it down and down and down and, ok hit it, smaller size steel, a bit of tweaking and hit it then the 1.25" steel, hit it, good enough. Oh look a rodent at 100 yards, a few shots to annoy it, started coming down on my elevation and SMACK down it goes. Pete goes to get pics and move the body so the buzzards can see it. Slugs are flying pretty flat...hummmmmm. Oh have two at 50 yards, dial down and SMACK got one, reload and SMACK got the second. 1st wasn't a good kill still moving but it was in the heart lung area (picture), 2nd one...not a clue where it went, we both heard the hit. Two more pop up in a different location 100 yards out, dial up....SMACK, we watch it go down, reload, SMACK on the second, go out to find the bodies and.....nope nothing. It's appearing that the slugs are passing right through....HUH that's not suppose to be happening. Going to try some 32 gr AVS .253 dia slugs in the JSAR Raptor for giggles. ON the RMR's I may try to open the nose a bit and see what happens, I don't have a lathe so it's going to be pretty messy

Note: I sent my drone out to find #1, last pic of location, had a hell of a hard time spotting it, you can see why...little sucker just blends right in.

1723058379221.png
1723058464429.png
1723058621785.png

yep good shooting
I'm going to upload the drone video in a bit, seeing these pesky suckers is hard, I forgot to bring my iPad so had to rely on my iPhone, ouch. Luckily the DJI camera was up to it. Well looked at the video on a BIG screen and what I thought was the rodent was just some dark dry weeds., oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZekeZX10
Went out to my permission this am 0730 with my faithful retriever Pete. Bright sunny day barely a breeze so it was WARM. An official, where in the H are the rodents? Last week they were there then disappeared when I drove in, this time we went in the back way and NOTHING. We were getting set up, Pete walked my target out to 75 yards, while I unpacked the .25 Raptor that will be using the RMR/FX Hybrids at 1040fps. Started plinking at the big steel and missing so started dialing it down and down and down and, ok hit it, smaller size steel, a bit of tweaking and hit it then the 1.25" steel, hit it, good enough. Oh look a rodent at 100 yards, a few shots to annoy it, started coming down on my elevation and SMACK down it goes. Pete goes to get pics and move the body so the buzzards can see it. Slugs are flying pretty flat...hummmmmm. Oh have two at 50 yards, dial down and SMACK got one, reload and SMACK got the second. 1st wasn't a good kill still moving but it was in the heart lung area (picture), 2nd one...not a clue where it went, we both heard the hit. Two more pop up in a different location 100 yards out, dial up....SMACK, we watch it go down, reload, SMACK on the second, go out to find the bodies and.....nope nothing. It's appearing that the slugs are passing right through....HUH that's not suppose to be happening. Going to try some 32 gr AVS .253 dia slugs in the JSAR Raptor for giggles. ON the RMR's I may try to open the nose a bit and see what happens, I don't have a lathe so it's going to be pretty messy

Note: I sent my drone out to find #1, last pic of location, had a hell of a hard time spotting it, you can see why...little sucker just blends right in.

View attachment 486555View attachment 486556View attachment 486557
Interesting coats. What part of the country are you from. Assuming you're American

I'm going to upload the drone video in a bit, seeing these pesky suckers is hard, I forgot to bring my iPad so had to rely on my iPhone, ouch. Luckily the DJI camera was up to it. Well looked at the video on a BIG screen and what I thought was the rodent was just some dark dry weeds., oh well.
Dude that is awesome. Been wanting to get a drone to scout a bit

Dude that is awesome. Been wanting to get a drone to scout a bit
I'll cut out a segment and post it. I bought the cheapest DJI mini, I'm really impressed by the thing, doesn't have a lot of features but it works quite well and the videos are darn good as is, IMHO. Sadly the government is trying to ban them on the word of a US company that can't compete. Is China using them to spy??? DJI says no and nobody can show they are.

• Sad
Reactions: ZekeZX10
@HogKiller Love this post. That write-up took me right along with you on your hunt. Thanks for sharing photos as well. I dunno how you spotted that thing with a drone other than knowing where you shot it. Thanks for sharing about your experience using the RMR SLAP slugs/FX Hybrids as well.
Thanks. Actually, I didn't spot it with the drone, I was mistaken, the pic above was Pete's phone, when I checked the drone footage I was In the right area but not over it, hard to see on a little screen in bright sunlight (phone). Attached is a really poorly edited video, , showing Pete with first victim putting it out for the vultures/hawks, the front entrance, 125 yards, the logs, 100 yards, the side fence 50 -60 yards and the building and TOFG. The Old Fat Guy...or maybe not, having an issue loading videos. Not seeing a file size limitation but.....I must be over it. I even checked the forum rules/suggestions and didn't see it. I'll keep trying....ahhhhh file size, got it.

Last edited:
It’s not messy.

I'm going to try some with a center drill and see what happens, I think I've got a small one laying around in a tool box....edit...yes I do, I opened up 12 RMR 26gr, opened up a few too much they were off at 25 yards by about an inch or so, the others grouped like stock slugs, so there is an option. Tried my .251 139gr Javelin's in my Raptor a slight boost on the reg got the speeds up to my 1040fps, tightened up the groups nicely and a very rewarding 82 ft # at the muzzle, maybe overkill for those darn squirrels but I WANT BODIES!!

Last edited: