.22 molds

Diabolo pellets are problematic IMO based on my PB casting experience. You would need base pins precisely inserted and very hot and precisely temperature controlled mold. There is not much mass of lead to keep the mold heated. May need exterior mold temp control. Pure lead is even more difficult since it does not fill out thin areas of the casting well. Type metal fills nooks and crannies better but it's too hard for proper airgun pressure obturation. Once you have the pellets you'll need to carefully sort for head diameter and weight, plus cull out the bad ones. To much work IMO.

Slugs would be better to try.

Diabolo pellets are problematic IMO based on my PB casting experience. You would need base pins precisely inserted and very hot and precisely temperature controlled mold. There is not much mass of lead to keep the mold heated. May need exterior mold temp control. Pure lead is even more difficult since it does not fill out thin areas of the casting well. Type metal fills nooks and crannies better but it's too hard for proper airgun pressure obturation. Once you have the pellets you'll need to carefully sort for head diameter and weight, plus cull out the bad ones. To much work IMO.

Slugs would be better to try.
Thanks, I pour sinkers and jigs so I know about the mold not filling out.

I wasn't sure if it would be harder or easier due to size.

Time I have so the task of sorting would just be an extra step.

My investment would just be for the mold so that's why I thought it may be something to try.

I think I would lean towards a bullet shaped slug.. but still looking around.

Small bore Airguns do better with pure lead. The pins can get polished and will not stick. I just chuck them up in my drill. I start with some 1200 grit sandpaper and then finish it off with 2000. It's so slippery I have problems picking them up with my old man fingers. As has been said. Check out Wayne 52 post about pressure pour casting on GTA boolit forum.

Reactions: TRIPP
Well, you got me fired up! I've had that mold for a while but never have cast with, that is until this morning. I emptied my pot and melted some pure lead and cast up a couple hundred. The mold worked great no problems and NOE does have some of those molds listed if anyone is interested. Mine came out .220 on the base driving band and seems large to me. I'm new to slug shooting in air rifles and just a couple of days ago I shot some JSB Knockouts that measure .218 and they loaded tight in my FX M3. They shot OK nothing to brag about and I didn't do any tuning. I did shoot some NSA 23 grain slugs that I had bought for another gun that did not work out very good either but shot great in my M3 and they measure .218 and they loaded easy. I do have the NOE push through sizer in .217 and will give that a try and see what happens and thinking that I will order the .218 bushing.

Thanks for starting me down another rabbit hole!:) Actually I was already headed that way just needed a kick start!

RB

Well, you got me fired up! I've had that mold for a while but never have cast with, that is until this morning. I emptied my pot and melted some pure lead and cast up a couple hundred. The mold worked great no problems and NOE does have some of those molds listed if anyone is interested. Mine came out .220 on the base driving band and seems large to me. I'm new to slug shooting in air rifles and just a couple of days ago I shot some JSB Knockouts that measure .218 and they loaded tight in my FX M3. They shot OK nothing to brag about and I didn't do any tuning. I did shoot some NSA 23 grain slugs that I had bought for another gun that did not work out very good either but shot great in my M3 and they measure .218 and they loaded easy. I do have the NOE push through sizer in .217 and will give that a try and see what happens and thinking that I will order the .218 bushing.

Thanks for starting me down another rabbit hole!:) Actually I was already headed that way just needed a kick start!

RB
Bob designed the mold to ride on the driving bands to limit bore friction. If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't recommend sizing. They are pretty difficult to chamber in my Urban, but they still shoot great.

Here's one after it passed through the choked in my Urban barrel.
20190516174842889506eaac61ef8c-01-01.jpeg

Who makes the best mold? NOE, I have many different manufacturers and Al does it best.

Is it really worth making the pellets? NO, not if CPHP's work in your gun. YES, if you want to be independent.

I already have the melting pot/pourer, some lead( not sure of hardness) i can get some flashing i think. Looks like you are all set, if you have the LEE 20# bottom pour, use the nozzle to pressure pour the mold, almost zero rejects.

looking for slug molds also, not just pellet shaped. Still NOE, he makes a fantastic 218-25-RF-D6 4 Cavity RG4 mold. Pressure pour to get the HP to fill out.

Thank you for your input!

If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't recommend sizing.

You can't just say you don't recommend sizing. Casting temperature, alloy, mold temperature etc. affects the diameter of the slug/bullet when drops from the mold. If that mold drop a wider diameter then you size those bullets in the barrel of the airgun. Accuracy suffers, speed changes, etc. sizing is important. But each in his own way. I'm sizing all my casted bullets/slugs

If you add Sn 1-2%, it helps the mold fill better, makes casting easier and only increases the hardness a little. personally noticed more benefits than harm. At least when casting slugs and bullets

Bob is the guy that designed the mold I was referring to. He doesn't recommend sizing it because it is designed for minimal engagement and minimal bore friction. If it drops slugs too large for your barrel, sell and and buy something else. My recommendation not to size wasn't a blanket statement.

This mold fills out fine with pure lead. All of my air rifle molds do if I pressure pour.