22 vs 25

Neither is inherently more accurate, but .22 does have a wider selection of pellets and will generally get more shots per fill and with an unregulated gun should give more consistent shots per fill. .25 will tend to buck the wind better though. There may be differences in barrel quality as well.
I dont know if I agree with that. I have had several unregulated .25 that would hold single digit or very low double digit like 12 fps ES for their entire string. I also owned unregulated .22 during that same period and they didnt have any better strings. As far as a wider pellet selection that doesnt matter either. The .25 only needs the JSB Kings. I have owned many .25 cal pcp rifles and I have never had any issue getting very tight consistent groups from all of them with one of the two weights of JSB Kings.

.25 has about 10 ft/lbs more then the .22 on average. I don't think this is a significant amount. 30 and above definitely does.
That statement has so much more to do with weight difference and speed that your statement is a gross over generalization.
If I'm shooting a 25 grain 22 at 900 fps that's 45 fpe.
If I'm shooting a 35 grain 25 at 900 fps that's 63 fpe.

I'm all for shooting whatever you like and is effective but let's not pretend there's not a fairly signiificant impact difference between the two calibers.

That statement has so much more to do with weight difference and speed that your statement is a gross over generalization.
If I'm shooting a 25 grain 22 at 900 fps that's 45 fpe.
If I'm shooting a 35 grain 25 at 900 fps that's 63 fpe.

I'm all for shooting whatever you like and is effective but let's not pretend there's not a fairly signiificant impact difference between the two calibers.
You realize you can also shoot a .22 35 gr at those same speeds.... Its pound for pound until you get above the 40gr thats maxed out for the .22

1000005676.jpg

You realize you can also shoot a .22 35 gr at those same speeds.... Its pound for pound until you get above the 40gr thats maxed out for the .22

View attachment 444988
You realize you can get heavier 25's and get higher FPE??
I get it, you prefer .22. Your logic is flawed regarding the difference.
You can get .177, .22, .25, .30 etc and vary the weight/speed and obtain whatever FPE you want within reason.
Just choose whatever you want but to say that there is negligible difference between calibers is misleading at best.
If you think the diameter of a projectile has no effect on hitting power.........well............

You realize you can get heavier 25's and get higher FPE??
I get it, you prefer .22. Your logic is flawed regarding the difference.
You can get .177, .22, .25, .30 etc and vary the weight/speed and obtain whatever FPE you want within reason.
Just choose whatever you want but to say that there is negligible difference between calibers is misleading at best.
If you think the diameter of a projectile has no effect on hitting power.........well............
Not a signiificant difference in energy until you get over that 40gr area. And .030 larger diameter in the .25 is hardly that much larger of a hole. Enjoy the little bit that your .25 squeezes out...

1000005677.jpg

Ron that is the most spot on reply I’ve ever seen. 😂
Don't worry. You'll wind up with both. Get whatever you can get a good deal on. Welcome to the rabbit hole.
You are killin me with that comment 😱 I just put in a preorder for a GK1 Shorty .22 and I’m seriously wondering if I made the right choice not getting a .25

I recommend .22 because the pellets are cheap and easy to find, the Crossman Premiers are good and cheap and found everywhere. You can easily take small game with them, especially rabbits (please do), but for coyotes and small hogs you want at least a .25 if not a .30 (there's a guy on YouTube taking 10 pound porkers all day with a Gamo .25). The larger pellets cost more and are harder to find in a retail store, but for hunting it's of course worth it. A great many airgun models (PCP and pump/piston) come in .177 to .25, above that (.30+) and you're into PCP territory.

For a beginner I recommend a decent pump or piston airgun with a scope, something with a low line of sight, I say that because I keep making mistakes with my Sig Virtus PCP, the fixed sights have a very high line of sight (I recently made a thread about it and rabbits), so I'm getting a low mounted scope on it very soon.

i got a 22 for up to 50 yards and the 25 for beyond that. i don’t plan on shooting at ranges of 100+ yards on a regular but if i ever did, i would go 25 or a 22 capable of sending heavy ammo.
Kind of the same here. I also noticed that I tend to go for 22 if the rifle has an air tube and for 25 if it's a bottle. Just to have more shots on one fill. I noticed I mostly use 22 caliber though, it's my go-to choice on an average day. I don't hunt, only target shooting though. My 2 cents.

Reactions: daddypaddy
Kind of the same here. I also noticed that I tend to go for 22 if the rifle has an air tube and for 25 if it's a bottle. Just to have more shots on one fill. I noticed I mostly use 22 caliber though, it's my go-to choice on an average day. I don't hunt, only target shooting though. My 2 cents.
lol dude that’s exactly how i feel! i shoot my notos more than the huben mainly because it’s quieter by faaar. cheaper to shoot too! i just shot a pest bulbul about 70 yards away with the notos 10 minutes ago. i can’t think of anything more gratifying than watching the slug drop on top of the target.

Reactions: Air King and uladz
I have both, .22 and .25. My .22 hw100 is my pellet gun. It shoots 18.1 jsb at 890. Fun plinking gun, 77 full power shots at 31 ftlbs.
My .25 is a decated slug gun. 33 gr. at 990 fps or just over 70ftlbs. This is used for hunting, as you probably all ready know.
Somethings to remember, know the game your hunting and every hunting gun is first a target gun.
Welcome to the rabbit hole.