Hello all, I've been doing some research on what air pistol/rifle to get. I just recently started to get the bug again after years of being gone from the airguns and shooting rimfire/centerfire. I currently own a Beeman P-3 that Ive owned for many years but haven't shot it for a few years but after shooting it again I got the bug. I've been going back and forth on rifle vs pistol and I keep researching the Crosman 2300S it seems to be a good compromise. The opinions from present owners would be match appreciated, I'm new to CO2 air guns.

Great pistol for the price and has the good Williams rear sight. There are a ton of mod parts for it
Fantastic sights, trigger not so much. Get a 1701p trigger group and hammer and it will be excellent. I don't see any complete trigger groups on ebay. The first one that I did, I got a Crosman parts list for the 1701p, and ordered each individual part from Crosman, quite a bit more pricy that way but it worked out fine.This gives a two stage trigger with adjustments for first and second stage as well as pull weight. Well worth it. I had the piercing pin stick in a CO2 cartridge, requiring disassembly of the gun to remove so I gave the tip of that pin a high polish, and am always sure to put a drop of oil on the tip of the cartridge before installing and have had no more problems.

I've had a 2300T & 2300S along with 3 2240s. Still have two 2240s. One as a pistol one as a carbine. The 2300s use the same breech as the .22 cal. Makes pellet loading finicky. Power adjuster is almost useless. Rear sight is pretty good. Triggers all need some "love". I got around this by making my own sears.
Myself...I would buy a 2240xl. Use the money you save for upgrades.
Hope this helps.😀

Nothing against the 2300S but for the money I’d look closer at a 1701P especially if you can get one used. It’ll already have a best trigger you can get for these Crosman pistols. Air won’t be as finicky as CO2. If you’re not already set up for PCP a $50 hand pump doesn’t cost all that much more than a couple of boxes of CO2 cartridges. Could be cheaper actually depending how much you shoot. Small tube on the 1701P is easy to fill with a hand pump. You will need a rear sight and I recommend a trigger shoe.
Lwm211 has had a couple of 1701P for sale in the classifieds recently. He sells a lot here and I’ve bought a Prod from him couple years ago. I think he listed another 1701P with a red dot and Steve Corcoran grips recently. Might check it out.

Last edited:
Nothing against the 2300S but for the money I’d look closer at a 1701P especially if you can get one used. It’ll already have a best trigger you can get for these Crosman pistols. Air won’t be as finicky as CO2. If you’re not already set up for PCP a $50 hand pump doesn’t cost all that much more than a couple of boxes of CO2 cartridges. Could be cheaper actually depending how much you shoot. Small tube on the 1710P is easy to fill with a hand pump. You will need a rear sight and I recommend a trigger shoe.
Lwm211 has had a couple of 1701P for sale in the classifieds recently. He sells a lot here and I’ve bought a Prod from him couple years ago. I think he listed another 1701P with a red dot and Steve Corcoran grips recently. Might check it out.
You bring up some interesting points and I thank you for your input. I've thought about the PCP air guns but filling them up with air comes down to either spending $$$ or doing the hand pump thing. I'm getting up there in age and I'm 150 lbs on a heavy day and I've and read where hand pumping can be a challenge, don't get me wrong I actually enjoy physical activity and I'm in pretty good shape all considered however I'm also a realist (know thyself). I don't see where you can get hand pump for $50? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible so a compressor and SCBA tank I'm not interested in. The only pellet gun I currently have is a Beeman P-3 which is fun to shoot and no big deal to pump, but I thought a CO2 would be a good addition to have. I shoot mostly 22rimfire and 9mm but I do enjoy also shooting my P-3. The price of ammunition is making me think more about the air gun hobby again!

You bring up some interesting points and I thank you for your input. I've thought about the PCP air guns but filling them up with air comes down to either spending $$$ or doing the hand pump thing. I'm getting up there in age and I'm 150 lbs on a heavy day and I've and read where hand pumping can be a challenge, don't get me wrong I actually enjoy physical activity and I'm in pretty good shape all considered however I'm also a realist (know thyself).
I have found that with small PCP reservoirs (100ml or smaller) I actually prefer hand pumping. I do have a SCBA tank but I'm a little timid about hitting a small air reservoir with a massive amount of 4,000 plus PSI air. They just fill too fast. I however definitely want the tank for the larger rifle fills.