FX 30 caliber PCP..Which one??

So I have decided on the purchase of a 30 PCP. I allready own an FX Crown Contiuum in .25. It does an amazing job but as I have stated in a previous post it seems to lack killing power on woodchucks out to like 125 yards. I am able to hit them but they almost always seem to find their way back into their hole. I know that the FX line is going to put more of a hurt in my wallet, but so far my choices are the FX Crown...Panthera 70mm ...Dynamic express 700mm. The reason for the last two is basically they are more dedicated slug rifles. Also length is not that much of a concern because I usually shoot from a good solid base. Also at this time it seems like Utah Airguns have these ready to go.
So what are your airgunners thoughts on this? Is there others out there that I should consider? The RAW looks like a good choice also.
Your imput would be greatle appreciated!!
Thanks!

@bat54action. I note you are in Pa. You need more ump at that distance. Give Rich a call @ Airgun revisions about the new bulldog m257. Fantastic guy to deal with. Hope this help.

Screenshot_20240715_152919_Samsung Internet.jpg

So I have decided on the purchase of a 30 PCP. I allready own an FX Crown Contiuum in .25. It does an amazing job but as I have stated in a previous post it seems to lack killing power on woodchucks out to like 125 yards. I am able to hit them but they almost always seem to find their way back into their hole. I know that the FX line is going to put more of a hurt in my wallet, but so far my choices are the FX Crown...Panthera 70mm ...Dynamic express 700mm. The reason for the last two is basically they are more dedicated slug rifles. Also length is not that much of a concern because I usually shoot from a good solid base. Also at this time it seems like Utah Airguns have these ready to go.
So what are your airgunners thoughts on this? Is there others out there that I should consider? The RAW looks like a good choice also.
Thanks!
Why not a caliber change kit?
I have a .30 cal Crown Yellow Jacket, that breaks my target array. It shoots holes in everything. Lol So, I bought a 380mm .22 and will do a power reduction, hopefully retaining the .30cals amazing accuracy. I will eventually upgrade my target array for for the big guy.

Very best PCP in .30 CAL for long range is doubtless the Vulcan 3 HP.

Here you have the link:

It shoots heavy slugs.

Vulcan 3 is definitely accurate and powerful enough, only drawback is you have to dissasemble the gun to adjust regulator and hammer spring but if you're content once you have it dialed in to leave it that way for a bit, then it's an awesome rifle...love my Vulcan 3 right now tuned to shoot 54 gn slugs at 976 fps (114 ft lbs) and that is tuned down a bit. I was shooting 62.5gn slugs at 954 fps or about 121 fpe so even out to 200 yds with a 62.5gn slug you're still moving at 732 fps and still hitting with 71 ft lbs of energy, more than enough for a coyote and that's not even maxing the Vulcan 3 out.

As far as accurate here's a head shot at 90 yards on a rock squirrel
and an 85 yard headshot on a sparrow
https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/head-shot-thread.1312648/post-1776694

Last edited:
I don't think a 30 cal is suitable for woodchucks at that range. Woodchucks are tough critters and you won't have accurate enough shot placement at 125. My personal limit for 30 cal and woodchucks was about 60 yards.
It is all about shot placement. I always only take head shots and have taken chucks to 90 yds. Take a look at the Jefferson State air rifles. I love mine as very accurate and a solid build. American made and rings all my bells

I don't think a 30 cal is suitable for woodchucks at that range. Woodchucks are tough critters and you won't have accurate enough shot placement at 125. My personal limit for 30 cal and woodchucks was about 60 yards.
Do you really need something more powerful than that? @bigbuck89 is dropping some mondo chucks at 60 yards with his .22

Thanks!
RTI Prophet / Priest
Vulcan 3
Kalibrgun Argus/Cricket
Gauntlet 2

Airguns of Arizona currently has a few Daystates .30 for under $2k used

Also @Scott.t had a .25 panthera that was outting over 115fpe so I dare say the panthera .30 would put out a good bit more.

Also the Vulcan 3 HP is supposed to put out a lot more power than the already powerful vulcan 3

Do you really need something more powerful than that? @bigbuck89 is dropping some mondo chucks at 60 yards with his .22

RTI Prophet / Priest
Vulcan 3
Kalibrgun Argus/Cricket
Gauntlet 2

Airguns of Arizona currently has a few Daystates .30 for under $2k used

Also @Scott.t had a .25 panthera that was outting over 115fpe so I dare say the panthera .30 would put out a good bit more.

Also the Vulcan 3 HP is supposed to put out a lot more power than the already powerful vulcan 3
People might get upset but a notos will drop a groundhog at 40 yards. It’s all about shot placement. My M60 .22 drops them at 60 no problem with JSB 18,13 and I’ll push it even further when I find a more accurate projectile.

In my experience headshots are necessary to consistently DRT kill woodchucks any further than close range (30y) / pointed tip pellets.

I shoot longer range regularly with a 30 and 22 and frankly trying to hit a groundhogs head 10/10 beyond 60y is not reasonable. The ranging and holdover needs to be utterly perfect, the wind read needs to be absolutely perfect, the pellet needs to be perfect, and the shooter needs to be perfect.

I say you need to choose a platform that has the general power and accuracy to do the job and then learn what’s actually possible with your gun, it’s favorite projectile, your dope data and ranging tool, your shooting ability, and set reasonable range for yourself. If I can hit a ping pong ball five times in a row including the cold bore shot with unknown range then I consider it a humane distance. You can’t just pick a number like 125y and proscribe and rifle that will do it for everyone. Not without considering a firearm, anyway.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369