.30 or .35 for whitetail

Just tossing my 2c in here. I don’t know a ton about big bores but from experience of deer hunting I’d say no less than 457 honestly. Sure you can use a 22 if you get lucky but they run with they get hit with 1000+ ftlbs so just saying…something to consider
They run with most bow shots too. I think penetration through both lungs or heart is most important. Penetration tests with various bullets would go a long ways instead of simply stating you need x amount of fpe (other than state laws). With that said bigger leaves more room for error. There are many 35 cals that can do it, but if you are buying a new setup, then why not just go bigger?

If you insist on a 35 cal, perhaps a Western Rattler, Airforce texan, Bulldog or Aea.

Reactions: TC724 and ba49
They run with most bow shots too. I think penetration through both lungs or heart is most important. Penetration tests with various bullets would go a long ways instead of simply stating you need x amount of fpe (other than state laws). With that said bigger leaves more room for error. There are many 35 cals that can do it, but if you are buying a new setup, then why not just go bigger?

If you insist on a 35 cal, perhaps a Western Rattler, Airforce texan, Bulldog or Aea.
True. I guess it just depends on the hunters abilities.

Brand new to air guns and I am researching PCP rifles. I traded for a Benjaman break barrel .22 for plinking, now I am looking for a hunting rifle mainly for hog but might go whitetail down the road. as I now I am looking at .30 vs .35 calibers. Am I looking at what I should be? or do I really need to step up from there? The internet is quite confusing on the subject and I don't want to go with the minimum, but I am disabled ad don't want to much either.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
Pigs are tough and potentially very dangerous if wounded. Local guy ended up with 147 stitches after he wounded a Boar and it charged. A fellow hunter and friend of mine shot the Boar off of the man and saved his life.

You need to make the first shot count and shot placement is paramount.

I agree with the previous recommendations of a .457. It's what I use and it works well.

858A6CB7-2ED0-410A-96AA-1253C5171700.jpeg

Thats when you recomend a shotgun . Its the safe bet
If it weren't for it being an airgun forum and question I would. Speaking of shotties, one of my favorite deer shotties is the Savage 220 in 20 gauge. Can shoot 1" groups with accubond sabots. Killed many deer with it, all the way out to 200 yards, before CA banned lead ammo.

If it weren't for it being an airgun forum and question I would. Speaking of shotties, one of my favorite deer shotties is the Savage 220 in 20 gauge. Can shoot 1" groups with accubond sabots. Killed many deer with it, all the way out to 200 yards, before CA banned lead ammo.

I was thinking of taking my Wildcat .30 for deer this year however I am not comfortable with that being adequate to humanly and swiftly dispatch of the game. I really wanted to take a deer this year with a PCP I am either going to go ahead with purchasing a Texan .457 SS CF or just use my 270 powder burner this year.
I’m thinking along those same lines.
I think an LSS is the better option because of the longer barrel.
My Texan SS is in 308 but a 457 LSS is my next purchase.

I agree with this now that you mention it. Penetrating on big game is much more of the concern

Oh, and I see you're in Florida. For some strange reason Florida does not specify a minimum power, just a minimum caliber, .30 . As for power, the gauntlet 30 at 100 yards, shooting 64 grain slugs, provides 88 pounds of force, plenty enough for deer and hogs.
A little bit more than 88 pounds of force. I'm shooting griffin 65 grains at 924 fps with my gauntlet 2sl 30 for 123 FPE.

• Wow
Reactions: Ezana4CE