FX .30 or .357

I currently have a avenger .25 and I'm wanting jump into a better long range rifle something capeable and accurate enough for rabbits or other critters out to 100 to 150 yards. I was contemplating a fx m3 but now I see the m4 is coming out it would be a bit before I pull the trigger on a new toy. I'm just wondering what would be a better caliber I would also want to use it for extended Prarie dog shooting. But mainly for them lil evil threatening rabbits that are teasin me outside the range of my avenger

Other thought iv had is it better to get a gun with a lil room for slugs and max weight pellets. Like hetting a Mac caliber for gun design and being limited on max power for heavy ammo. Such as getting a .25 avenger and being limited to pellet weight due to not enough air flow. I'm just trying to avoid similar regrets but I also always want the biggest caliber....internal head struggles I guess. That's why I'm referring to peeps who know.

Either of these .30 700mm would suffice. Of both, prefer Uragan 2, smoother, quieter, less ammo fussy. WM
IMG_20230926_171805.jpg

I would say hard pass on .357. It’s super expensive and unnecessary for your needs. A .30 would def be a solid choice. However, for what you describe (smaller critters) I think you would be fine in .22 or .25 set up with high bc slugs or even 33.95 pellets in .25. Either would be cheaper than .30.

I was plinking with friends yesterday afternoon with my DW in 20 and 18.9 NSA's @ 935, a Ghost in 30 with Zan 56 @ 900, and a RW in 177 with the 15 NSA's @ 975. We had dingers and spinners all the way to 191 where there was a 10" x 10" plate. The Zan's give the best bc of any pellet I have but none of us could hit the 191 plate with it and variations in the wind gave about a 24" group where I hit the plate 4 of 5 attempts with the 18.9s and the miss was only about 1 ". The 15s were almost as good. When I hit a critter w either of those slugs, they actually "pop". We also were shooting at a 1.5" spinner @ 155 and the slugs were quite a bit smaller groups around it.
Now the 30 @100 ft lb is impressive WHEN it hits something but the air use, noise, shot cycle and expense make it about my least favorite of what I have. A 357 would be even moreso.
Anyway, just another perspective... I love the precision of these little guys and the cost is low also...
Bob

Reactions: imtrigerhapy
well actually for airguns best caliber is in .22 range more likely 257 or 223 but only Airforce airguns offer .257 barrel as a caliber and this ammo caliber is not so common but the idea is to have thin long and heavy slug. Thin for better aerodynamic/ BC , Long to carry heavier load in the thinner profile and heavy to be stable in wind at long range and to have a harder hit if you want to puncture targets or hunting but because cannot maintain high speed at distance twist rate need to be fast like 1:8 or 1:9 in order to continue spin the projectile even when speed is low over 400 yards to a mile and proof is the old world record with Altaros m24 pcp Airgun shooting .223 with 1:9 twist rate i have a friend who mounted firearm 1:8 twist rate .223 and makes his own boat tail pointy slugs at 4.5 grams/ 71 grain and successfully shoot at 1200 meters steel gong on multiple accessions even got some videos in FB groups. I guess those are not in mass production intentionally as well as pointy slugs. Otherwise for rest of us regulars shop buying users i would prefer .30 because of heavier weight slugs over 50 grain yes it is not so accurate as .25 and do not fly so far as .25 but currently only 60 grains .25 slugs I know on sale are Altarus slugs and they are hard to get maybe will switch back to .25 in future if more heavy and pointy boat tail slugs enter the market for now just hollo points all over.

well actually for airguns best caliber is in .22 range more likely 257 or 223 but only Airforce airguns offer .257 barrel as a caliber and this ammo caliber is not so common but the idea is to have thin long and heavy slug. Thin for better aerodynamic/ BC , Long to carry heavier load in the thinner profile and heavy to be stable in wind at long range and to have a harder hit if you want to puncture targets or hunting but because cannot maintain high speed at distance twist rate need to be fast like 1:8 or 1:9 in order to continue spin the projectile even when speed is low over 400 yards to a mile and proof is the old world record with Altaros m24 pcp Airgun shooting .223 with 1:9 twist rate i have a friend who mounted firearm 1:8 twist rate .223 and makes his own boat tail pointy slugs at 4.5 grams/ 71 grain and successfully shoot at 1200 meters steel gong on multiple accessions even got some videos in FB groups. I guess those are not in mass production intentionally as well as pointy slugs. Otherwise for rest of us regulars shop buying users i would prefer .30 because of heavier weight slugs over 50 grain yes it is not so accurate as .25 and do not fly so far as .25 but currently only 60 grains .25 slugs I know on sale are Altarus slugs and they are hard to get maybe will switch back to .25 in future if more heavy and pointy boat tail slugs enter the market for now just hollo points all over.
On my HO, .25 is much better than .22…. Irrespective of price.

And .30 is much better for hunting than .25… but price begin to be uncomfortable.

Reactions: uladz and Slugy
Either of these .30 700mm would suffice. Of both, prefer Uragan 2, smoother, quieter, less ammo fussy. WMView attachment 480593
Thank you for insight...personally I've always thought bullpup rifles were hideous. But you have opened my eyes to a different train of thought. I've spent alot of time today researching these 2 guns. And they have made it to the top of the list in a .30. Once agian thank you

Thank you for insight...personally I've always thought bullpup rifles were hideous. But you have opened my eyes to a different train of thought. I've spent alot of time today researching these 2 guns. And they have made it to the top of the list in a .30. Once again thank you
Bullpup ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST!