Skout .30 Skout EVO SubMOA

How did the weekend shooting go with the new Evo?
Not as good as I had hoped. The barrel needs some work. After EBR will lead lap, and polish. I’ll be shooting the .30 Gold Epoch at EBR, same gun as I’ve competed with this year. The EVO is a great gun and functioned flawlessly. The SubMOA barrel not so much.

One thing I haven’t tried in the gold Epoch is the AEA 50.5 grain. I have enough now to test, and if as accurate as the 45s, practice and then compete at EBR. Going from a BC of 0.055 GA to 0.075 GA is a big jump so if accuracy is comparable I’ll go with the physics.

Edit: I still feel like maybe I’m doing something wrong. I’ve been told that I need to shoot LOTS of pellets to get the barrel “leaded in”. And that it was tested and shooting “amazing” prior to being shipped to me. I guess I made the mistake of scrubbing the barrel really well prior to first shooting it. After over 150 rounds the barrel is just starting to get some semblance of accuracy. I’m not sure where to go next? Shoot another 150 pellet tin through to complete the initial “leading in”? Have it professionally lead lapped? Try to lap and polish myself?

I personally know of two different SubMOA barrels for Skout. One .25 required a lot of work polishing and lapping to get good accuracy. Another .30 was lights out after properly “leading in”. These are in addition to factory shooters that have had the barrels for some time now.
I’ll put some time into it after EBR. This is my last post on the EVO SubMOA. If I do have an update I’ll start another thread.

Last edited:
Not as good as I had hoped. The barrel needs some work. After EBR will lead lap, and polish. I’ll be shooting the .30 Gold Epoch at EBR, same gun as I’ve competed with this year. The EVO is a great gun and functioned flawlessly. The SubMOA barrel not so much.

One thing I haven’t tried in the gold Epoch is the AEA 50.5 grain. I have enough now to test, and if as accurate as the 45s, practice and then compete at EBR. Going from a BC of 0.055 GA to 0.075 GA is a big jump so if accuracy is comparable I’ll go with the physics.
That's a shame.
You would expect a company boldly naming themselves as "Sub MOA" to live up to their name.
Especially when use by competent shooters
Hope a lapping and polish aids in it's accuracy

Have you tried your liner in the Evo? Don't expect a difference, but was wondering if it performed the same?

That is a big difference in BC on the 2 pellets.
If the higher BC pellet doesn't group as well as the lower ..do you still use it because the higher BC does better in most conditions?
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: Rizz01
That's a shame.
You would expect a company boldly naming themselves as "Sub MOA" to live up to their name.
Especially when use by competent shooters
Hope a lapping and polish aids in it's accuracy

Have you tried your liner in the Evo? Don't expect a difference, but was wondering if it performed the same?

That is a big difference in BC on the 2 pellets.
If the higher BC pellet doesn't group as well as the lower ..do you still use it because the higher BC does better in most conditions?
Thanks
Mike
The FX liner in the orange EVO worked as well as it does in the gold Epoch. There have been other upgrades made to the Epoch that the EVO doesn’t have. Done to improve consistency in ES and SD more than anything else. Those are between Augie @Bigragu and me.

As far as the 50.5 and 45 AEA I go back to one of my favorite sayings, and I’ve said it a hundred times on AGN.
“Accuracy trumps everything”. So the only way the higher BC gets to be a starter is if it’s comparable (or better) in accuracy compared to the 45.

As far as SubMOA, realize that raw unfinished barrels are sold to the gun manufacturers and it’s up to them to do a proper leade and crown, and smooth out the lands and grooves as much as they feel necessary. We’ve seen this in Red Panda barrels that are downright ugly inside until properly lead lapped and polished.

Last edited: