30-Yard Challenge

That’s all good and happy but post number one says “To score a 10, you just need to touch the gray ring surrounding the black dot.”

Since the center of the target is a black dot surrounded by a thick grey ring, (which is surrounded by a black ring) I read that literally and ignored the black ring. I was scored a ten only when the plug touched grey (i.e. fully broke the black ring that surrounds the grey).

I will score it as such going forward and maybe pick up a point here and there. Is it possible for someone to update the wording in the first post?

Good points regarding the somewhat nebulous description in the scoring in post #1 .

I have been the moderator of this thread for the past year or so. I don’t have the ability to edit the original moderator’s post.

I believe the original moderator just referenced the “gray” as there is no “10” on the target - as that scoring area is too small to include a number…

… so, I’ve been scoring as Airgunnero describes - that the scoring plug must touch the black ring, rather than the gray area to score a 10.

This is a friendly, “honor system” competition - to date, I have not rejected any scores that look a bit “enthusiastic” . However, others on the thread have helped self-police when there have been obvious scoring errors submitted.

So, I’m good with using the scoring rules as defined by the documentation that Airgunnero posted - if everyone else is in agreement with using those rules for submissions.

Finally, I’m astonished at how many great shooters we have on this thread and the incredible cards that are being submitted lately.

Our 30 and 40 Yard Challenge has become somewhat “legendary” on AGN over time… a true test of accuracy of both the shooters and their rifles. Let’s keep it going…

… so get some lead downrange !!

-Ed

Reactions: Loff
40 Yard Master Class Speed Shoot Challenge
Score: 197 9X
Time: 1 minute 20.24 seconds

Rifle: FX Maverick Sniper .22
Pellet: JSB 18.13gr unsorted
Magazines: 2
Scope: Vector Optics Continental 5-30x56 FFP
Bipod: ACCU-TAC FC-4 G2 ARCA SPEC
Rear bag: Protektor rabbit ear
Moderator: 182.4g (2011 BSA)
Shroud, CF sleeve, Barrel tensioner, Harmonic tuner: None
Cameras: Nikon P1000

*Battery on EOS 77D drained

Video:

View attachment 480433View attachment 480434

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I pick “The Airgunnero” for my team, lol !

Ricky, by introducing the time element to our Challenges and shooting 197s at 40 yards so quickly, I’m just astonished at your skill level - awesome!

-Ed

• Love
Reactions: TheAirgunnero
I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but I pick “The Airgunnero” for my team, lol !

Ricky, by introducing the time element to our Challenges and shooting 197s at 40 yards so quickly, I’m just astonished at your skill level - awesome!

-Ed
Thanks Ed

I’ve been speed shooting for over a decade but have developed severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on my right hand making my fingers numb and prone to a lot of misfires. I just practice shooting fast on a regular basis so I can maintain an important skill which is very advantageous during competitions if the need to shoot fast arises.

We made a FB page just for different kinds of shooting challenges (must be documented on video). You and everyone else are invited to join https://m.facebook.com/groups/254960076057457/?ref=share

-Ricky

I thought I was shooting pretty quick taking 15-30 minutes on a target. I use a rear rest, however, so that is some of the slowness. A little over a minute is in a whole other league.
Jim,

Don’t worry and you’ll shoot fast soon as long as you practice on a regular basis. If I can do it so can you. 👍

40 Yard Master Class “Alternate” Speed Shoot Challenge
Score: 193 11X (first try)
Time: 1 minute 12.6 seconds
Target sequence: 1A, 4B, 5A, 8B, 9A, 2B, 3A, 6B, 7A, 10B, 1B, 4A, 5B, 8A, 9B, 2A, 3B, 6A, 7B and 10A

Magazines: two mags with 10 rounds
Cameras: Nikon P1000 and Canon EOS 77D

Procedure: Press start button of timer, open side lever/bolt, insert magazine, close side lever/bolt and shoot all 20 targets using 2 magazines and then press stop button of timer. Rear bag or no rear bag allowed. Video must be uncut from start to finish and must contain a PIP video of the timer and actual tape measured distance from muzzle/barrel tip up to the target/scorecard.

Video:

DSCN7543.jpeg

40 Yard Master Class “Alternate” Speed Shoot Challenge
Score: 193 11X (first try)
Time: 1 minute 12.6 seconds
Target sequence: 1A, 4B, 5A, 8B, 9A, 2B, 3A, 6B, 7A, 10B, 1B, 4A, 5B, 8A, 9B, 2A, 3B, 6A, 7B and 10A

Procedure: Press start button of timer, open side lever/bolt, insert magazine, close side lever/bolt and shoot all 20 targets using 2 magazines and then press stop button of timer. Rear bag or no rear bag allowed. Video must be uncut from start to finish and must contain a PIP video of the timer and actual tape measured distance from muzzle/barrel tip up to the target/scorecard.

Video:

View attachment 480625

Awesome Ricky!

So incredibly difficult to alternate so that you are changing significant horizontal and vertical points of aim on each target in progression.

Question: do you think shooting out of your enclosed garage is helpful to your accuracy/scores ? I’ve heard from a number of top shooters that the “first ten yards” - when the pellet initially leaves the muzzle - are the most critical to accuracy, and that it’s extremely important to get the pellet stabilized as soon as possible .

-Ed

Awesome Ricky!

So incredibly difficult to alternate so that you are changing significant horizontal and vertical points of aim on each target in progression.

Question: do you think shooting out of your enclosed garage is helpful to your accuracy/scores ? I’ve heard from a number of top shooters that the “first ten yards” - when the pellet initially leaves the muzzle - are the most critical to accuracy, and that it’s extremely important to get the pellet stabilized as soon as possible .

-Ed
Thanks Ed.

To answer your question, my answer is “it depends on the situation”. Sometimes there’s no wind at the “first ten yards” but as the distance goes longer that’s where the problem starts since we cannot read the actual wind velocity and directions especially when the wind is erratic. I’ve been to many competitions where it is windy from 5-16mph nonstop and then all of a sudden the wind goes down to 2-3mph for 2 seconds and picks up again.

No one has perfected how to read the wind and that’s why it is very difficult to get perfect scores especially for those who shoot in sub 12 outdoors.

-Ricky

40 Yard Master Class Diagonal Alternate Speed Shoot Challenge
Score: 195 11X
Time: 1 minute 19.18 seconds

Velocity: 960fps

Video:

IMG_7181.jpeg

Awesome Ricky!

-Ed

Ed, I found this helpful in understanding the effects of any wind right at the muzzle with pellets. ( This was taken from a previous N50 post on AGN).

See below:

Q. In 25 yards where do you believe the wind most affects the pellets flight in the first half or second half of flight?

A. Its a simple time over distance thing. If you have a wind, doesn't matter the direction, blowing on your range and the wind closest to the muzzle blows the projectile off course, then that projectile will have more time and distance to continue off course than it does if the wind blows it off course at the midpoint of its distance to the target. That same wind, at the midway point, can not correct the projectiles off course condition due to a lack of time of flight and distance to the target.

Tom

Ed, I found this helpful in understanding the effects of any wind right at the muzzle with pellets. ( This was taken from a previous N50 post on AGN).

See below:

Q. In 25 yards where do you believe the wind most affects the pellets flight in the first half or second half of flight?

A. Its a simple time over distance thing. If you have a wind, doesn't matter the direction, blowing on your range and the wind closest to the muzzle blows the projectile off course, then that projectile will have more time and distance to continue off course than it does if the wind blows it off course at the midpoint of its distance to the target. That same wind, at the midway point, can not correct the projectiles off course condition due to a lack of time of flight and distance to the target.

Tom
Well said Tom. 👍

Well said Tom. 👍

Thanks Ricky. But, the credit for this explanation goes to a fellow AGN BR regular N50 match shooter.

Tim ( Igolfat8) is a well known Benchrest Shooter and was the person who clarified a question with this explanation. He also participates in the challenge occasionally.

Thanks Ricky. But, the credit for this explanation goes to a fellow AGN BR regular N50 match shooter.

Tim ( Igolfat8) is a well known Benchrest Shooter and was the person who clarified a question with this explanation. He also participates in the challenge occasionally.
Great! I know Tim because he shoots together with my friends Tim Swan and Ryan Spanagel at Meeker.

First card for todayand probably my last entry for this week. My CTS is acting up and my fingers are numb causing me to fire too early or too late.

30 Yard Master Class Diagonal Alternate
Score: 200 16X
Diagonal Target sequence: 1A, 4B, 5A, 8B, 9A, 2B, 3A, 6B, 7A, 10B, 1B, 4A, 5B, 8A, 9B, 2A, 3B, 6A, 7B and 10A

Velocity: 990fps

Video:

DSCN7562.jpeg

Reactions: JimD and Loff
AGN 30 Yard Master Class (under 40 seconds) Speed Shoot Challenge

Score: 196 9X
Total time: 37.3 seconds

Rifle: FX Impact MK2 .22 700mm (untuned)
Pellet: JSB 15.89gr unsorted
Scope: Athlon Midas TAC
Shroud/Moderator: FX Wildcat 600mm shroud and FX hollow moderator

Video:

DSCN7570.jpeg

No speed shooting for me (yet). This gun will always be slow and I need to get a mag for my .22.

Yesterday was another perfect day for a night shoot. That was momentarily in question with a skunk passing nearby, which forced us to turn all the lights back on to ensure it hadn’t snuck up behind us. But skunks travels never crossed ours. I shot 2 30 challenge targets and 2 40 challenge targets with my .177 Thomas. It shot very well at 30y (200-19x, 200-19x) and good with room for improvement at 40y (193-13x, 195-10x). Not bad for a sub-20 .177 rifle.

The better 30y target was actually a 240-20x if you took all 24 shots, the other was 239-20x.

Next time it’s this calm I think I’ll attempt some fine tuning on this gun. It seems some shots just start spiraling off between 30 and 40. At the moment it’s just set at 19.5fpe based on ES and 21y grouping.

IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5420.jpeg

IMG_5417.jpeg

IMG_5421.jpeg

Last edited:
I am submitting the 199 14X for the leader board. I think it is one X better than my previous. This is with my Caiman X in 22 with its Arken EPL-4 6-24 set at 24X. I am shooting H&N Baracuda 18 from the magazines unsorted at just over 900 fps. I shot the 197 this morning with the gun tuned to about 890 fps. The wind was under 5 mph and it seemed to me that the pellets wandered a little on a couple shots. Didn't seem to be me (or wind). So I turned the speed up a small amount and shot the 199 at a little over 5 mph wind. Still low but I was holding off on most shots although only one or two were outside the 9 ring for the hold. I was happy with that result especially considering there was a little wind. If I ever get to the point of shooting 200s pretty regular maybe I'll try speeding it up. But so far this year looks like last year except for the gun. I've shot two 199s now, last year I shot three with my P35-22 before I got a 200. So hopefully I will find that last point one of these days with my Caiman X. I am not sure that extra 10 fps explains the higher score but I also calculated the ES (17) and std deviation (<5) and they were good for this gun. One shot pushed the ES from 10 to 17. So I think the tune may be slightly better. I measured the peak velocity for the regulator setting at 940 so I am still well under and the efficiency seems good. I only have to fill to a little over 200 bar to shoot three targets.

Caiman X 199 14X.jpg

Caiman X 197 11X.jpg