30-Yard Challenge

Ed, Thanks. 12b was not my last shot, however. I drop down on the right sometimes and I did on that last row. So 12b was the first shot of the last row. I pretty much knew I had three 9s but still finished out fine. I thought about it some more and I think 12b was a case where the wind stopped. I was aiming off about that amount at the end and that pellet went right where I was aiming. Tells you what sort of wind I had. Not a lot but enough I had to account for it - and I also needed to notice when it stopped.

Finally stopped raining today but it's been windy all day. Weekends tend to have more boat traffic which can be a distraction. I know I won't miss the trap but if I did it would hit the lake or in a very remote possibility a boat. So I don't shoot when there is a boat anywhere close to behind the trap. I had some fishermen complain once. They were at least 100 yards away but said I was shooting at them. I got visited by fish and game but I didn't really get in trouble.

Got bored and finished a target I started yesterday with the Caiman. I shot blocks 1&2 with the Caiman and the rest of the target a few minutes ago with my P35-22. The P35 has been sitting idle longer than the Caiman but the first shot velocity was 823 and the rest were all between 811 and 819 until I got to the last two (block 24) when I went off reg and velocity fell to 804 and then 801. I like the number of 20 2X blocks I shot but the score is a mediocre (for this gun) 193. The issue I had was the wind. When I guess right, I got a 10 and often an X. When I guess wrong it could be pretty bad. But it was fun. Boaters must be eating dinner or otherwise engaged. Traffic wasn't bad. I especially liked the off reg shots giving me a 20 2X block. I really like my P35-22. It wears a Vector Veyron SFP 6-24. It is not as clear as my Arken but it doesn't weigh as much either. I can still see the 10 ring and X dot clearly.

fun target.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TheAirgunnero
Hi Ricky,

I am an absolute fan of your shooting. Congratulations on a 190 10x at 50 yards on a Masters card !!

Even more incredible is that you did it with .177 caliber – and pellets slightly under 10g.

I’ve been meaning to try a 50-yard card, but have not to date. I certainly would use .22 caliber, but your achievement with .177 at 50 yards has opened my eyes to what is possible with a great shooter and a competition-grade rifle.

I saw that you had an 8 on the last shot, did the wind get you or did you pull the shot – or was it a “flyer”?

Another question – was that card your first try at 50 yards – or did you have to shoot a few to achieve the 190 10X result?

Awesome !!

-Ed
Thanks Ed 🙏

The 8 was caused by a gust of wind and it was my very first card. The succeeding two card were a 188 8X and 184 6X because the weather was getting bad. I wanted to shoot a fourth card but it rained.

-Ricky

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Trying out my 3d printed muzzle brake that’s glued on the barrel. 🤣

Rifle: WS Airguntech WRABF BR25 HV setup
Pellets: JSB 8.44gr
Power: Sub 20fpe
Scope: Vector Optics Sentinel X
Front Rest: Protektor Model Deluxe
Rear bag: Protektor rabbit ear
DIY 3D printed muzzle brake
Scoring plug: E-Z magnified .223

Video:

IMG_5729.jpeg

DSCN7618.jpeg

Leaderboard Submission:

I had a blast with the PowerPup yesterday – perfect wind conditions. I was sh so well that it kept me from watching more Olympics.

Target: 40 Yard Challenge
Score: 199 13X
Rifle: FX Dreamline PowerPup .22
Barrel: FX 600mm superlight
Pellet: FX 18.13g
Velocity: 888-900fps
Scope: Sightron SII 36x

I only needed a 20 on one of the last two target pairs to shoot 200, and I didn’t get it done, lol – but it was just an awesome card. I followed it up with 40-Masters cards of 195 13X and 193 13X. I was REALLY happy – made Becky take my picture with the cards, lol.

-Ed

IMG_5097.jpeg

IMG_5104.jpeg

IMG_5103.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg

IMG_5100.jpeg

Went out this morning to my local outdoor range.

Wind was almost dead calm, but my challenge was going to be trying to shoot before the rain came.

I decided I wanted to shoot the RAW TM1000X .177 for just the regular 30y Challenge.

I shot '3' cards in total, and I numbered them. I had a good card going on my #1 first card, until 8A! It was definitely a bad pellet, because this has bitten me before. It's a shame because I would have scored a 200-17x. shoulda, woulda, coulda!!

Started raining hard, but the wind flag was still. I was going to pack up, but everything was wet at this point. I decided to try again. I consciously worked on using a very light hold on the rifle and good trigger control.

Next up was 2nd card and I 'finally' got my first 200 -14X in 2024. I will submit this for next leaderboard.

Last card was a 197-14X.

The new RAW is fun to shoot. A great start to the week.

IMG_1497.jpeg

IMG_1496.jpeg

IMG_1495.jpeg

Went out this morning to my local outdoor range.

Wind was almost dead calm, but my challenge was going to be trying to shoot before the rain came.

I decided I wanted to shoot the RAW TM1000X .177 for just the regular 30y Challenge.

I shot '3' cards in total, and I numbered them. I had a good card going on my #1 first card, until 8A! It was definitely a bad pellet, because this has bitten me before. It's a shame because I would have scored a 200-17x. shoulda, woulda, coulda!!

Started raining hard, but the wind flag was still. I was going to pack up, but everything was wet at this point. I decided to try again. I consciously worked on using a very light hold on the rifle and good trigger control.

Next up was 2nd card and I 'finally' got my first 200 -14X in 2024. I will submit this for next leaderboard.

Last card was a 197-14X.

The new RAW is fun to shoot. A great start to the week.

View attachment 483822

View attachment 483823

View attachment 483824

Awesome shooting with that RAW .177 Tommy!

That “almost 200” card is beautiful - are you sure that you didn’t load that little .177 pellet backwards on the wild shot? I’ve done that more than once, lol.

Congratulations on the 200 !

Reactions: dgeesaman
Awesome shooting with that RAW .177 Tommy!

That “almost 200” card is beautiful - are you sure that you didn’t load that little .177 pellet backwards on the wild shot? I’ve done that more than once, lol.

Congratulations on the 200 !
Thanks Ed.

So that's what keeps happening. If I was loading pellets backwards, that might explain 'why' I get a very wild flier once in a while.

I sometimes shoot without my glasses, but when I do, I can't clearly see 100% of the time when I am single loading the RAW.

Also, the pellets all look pretty good so now I am wondering if I accidentally loaded it backwards.

Lesson learned. Going to use my glasses all the time from now on and will carefully inspect as I chamber a round.

Reactions: dgeesaman
Almost forgot with the excitement of the 199 40-Challenge with the PowerPup…

I have another couple Leaderboard submissions – more “pedestrian” scores – with the Weihrauch HW110 .22

Scores: 30-Challenge: 194 11X and 30-Masters: 194 12X 30
Pellet: FX 15.89g
Velocity: 710fps

I absolutely love shooting this HW110. I’ve massively detuned it from a 30 ft/lb 600mm barrel rifle when new to its current form of 18.5 ft/lb 410mm barrel. It has a great trigger and is almost silent to shoot it. It gets well over 70 shots per fill on its tiny air cylinder – I don’t know how it does it.

The Masters card has the top row in the orange box because I shot that row the previous day – it was getting too windy (especially for 710fps 15.89g) so I quit – but left the target up. The wind was nice and calm the next day so I shot the next 20 targets as a 30-Masters for the 194 12X. (I actually have shot a 195 6X 30-Masters with it a few days earlier, but I’d rather post a 194 12X – 12X is awesome on a Masters).

I actually set the HW110 up for 14.33g pellets last year, but forgot and tried the 15.89 the 1st time out this year. I was amazed at the accuracy with only 710fps. Just to see how good 710fps could be on a longer distance, I shot two 5-shot groups on the paper plate at 40 yards. I was stunned to get two groups less than ½” edge-to-edge - and it was breezy that day! Now I know how those UK guys with sub-12 rifles do it, lol.

-Ed

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5093.jpeg

IMG_5094.jpeg

Reactions: JimD and tommyb
Finally had some time to shoot a card with FX Dreamline. Not very good card but to open score fore my Dreamline, it's OK.

Submitting card for 30-yard challenge leader board with .177 SLUGS.

30-yard Challenge: 190 8X
FX Dreamline GRS with FX Maverick dual reg. system .177 600mm barrel, STX Superior Heavy.
ZAN 20gr @ 926fps
Element Helix 6-24x50 FFP, magn. 23X

View attachment 483382
View attachment 483383
View attachment 483384View attachment 483385View attachment 483386View attachment 483387

Need to shoot my FX more and get used to it. While shooting that card tried different holds. Firm hold worked better. This gun packs a punch - 38fpe from .177. And it "jumps", so need to add weight or try to hold my left hand on the scope to calm the gun down :). Stapled target to a almost 2" (45mm) board and one slug went through other one almost.

View attachment 483389View attachment 483390View attachment 483391View attachment 483392View attachment 483393View attachment 483394

Also tested out new NateChrony chronograph - nice little unit and accurate, compared to FX pocket chronograph. And that verified that my FX is working good. With FX chrono I was getting shot strings with 42 fps spread. NateChrony showed that the spread in strings is only 2 fps or so.

View attachment 483395View attachment 483396

Wow Loff - that is one beast of a .177 !!

Great shooting!!

Will definitely add your .177 slug score to our leaderboard.

Reactions: tommyb and Loff
Here’s another submission for the 40 yard master class leaderboard…

AGN 40 Yard Master Class Challenge

Score: 199/200 17X

Rifle: FX Maverick Sniper .22
Pellet: JSB 18.13gr unsorted
Velocity: 960fps
Scope: Vector Optics Continental 5-30x56 FFP
Scope magnification: 20X
Bipod: ACCU-TAC FC-4 G2 ARCA SPEC

Video:

IMG_5766.jpeg

IMG_5767.jpeg

Reactions: JimD
Here’s another submission for the 40 yard master class leaderboard…

AGN 40 Yard Master Class Challenge

Score: 199/200 17X

Video:

View attachment 484087

View attachment 484088

Geez Ricky,

You could have given me a couple more days to bask in the glory of my 199 40-Challenge… before you go and top it with a 199 40-Masters, lol.

Congrats on a great card - Incredible shooting!! Is your Maverick pretty stock and still using 2 regs?

-Ed

Geez Ricky,

You could have given me a couple more days to bask in the glory of my 199 40-Challenge… before you go and top it with a 199 40-Masters, lol.

Congrats on a great card - Incredible shooting!! Is your Maverick pretty stock and still using 2 regs?

-Ed
Thanks Ed,

Be happy with your scores and always practice. Don’t mind my scores since I practice a lot. 😆 I have three competitions this August and I have to prepare myself by honing my skills as well as muscle memory.

My Maverick still has the stock AMP regs that creep and I made a slightly heavier hammer weight as well as an external hammer spring tension micro adjuster.

Here’s a good tip… video all your shoots like I do because it adds more challenge as well as stress. LOL

-Ricky

First card @55~ yards
I’m preparing for a WRABF BR50 meter competition next week and I might use my Maverick if it performs better. More tuning is needed.

Score: 185/200 4X

Video:

IMG_5788.jpeg

Reactions: EPG
Shot eight cards this morning. I had the RAW HM1000x .22 using JTS 25.39 at 850 FPS.

Five Forty yard ( two Masters), and Three 30Y Masters cards.

Will submit the 40Y 190-6x challenge and 198-15X 30Y Masters for next leaderboard.

Wind was light around 1-2/3 mph and had 1 near flag at 10y from bench. A lot of tail wind holds with some cross wind. I am getting more 10's on the 40 Y cards, but too many 8's, 7's and some worse!

IMG_1511.jpeg

IMG_1510.jpeg

Almost forgot with the excitement of the 199 40-Challenge with the PowerPup…

I have another couple Leaderboard submissions – more “pedestrian” scores – with the Weihrauch HW110 .22

Scores: 30-Challenge: 194 11X and 30-Masters: 194 12X 30
Pellet: FX 15.89g
Velocity: 710fps

I absolutely love shooting this HW110. I’ve massively detuned it from a 30 ft/lb 600mm barrel rifle when new to its current form of 18.5 ft/lb 410mm barrel. It has a great trigger and is almost silent to shoot it. It gets well over 70 shots per fill on its tiny air cylinder – I don’t know how it does it.

The Masters card has the top row in the orange box because I shot that row the previous day – it was getting too windy (especially for 710fps 15.89g) so I quit – but left the target up. The wind was nice and calm the next day so I shot the next 20 targets as a 30-Masters for the 194 12X. (I actually have shot a 195 6X 30-Masters with it a few days earlier, but I’d rather post a 194 12X – 12X is awesome on a Masters).

I actually set the HW110 up for 14.33g pellets last year, but forgot and tried the 15.89 the 1st time out this year. I was amazed at the accuracy with only 710fps. Just to see how good 710fps could be on a longer distance, I shot two 5-shot groups on the paper plate at 40 yards. I was stunned to get two groups less than ½” edge-to-edge - and it was breezy that day! Now I know how those UK guys with sub-12 rifles do it, lol.

-Ed

View attachment 483852

View attachment 483853

View attachment 483854

View attachment 483855
That HW110 is dialed in based on these scores!

Leaderboard Submission:
40-Yard-Masters
198 14X
.22 Taipan Veteran 2
FX 25.4g @860-865fps
Sightron SIII ED 45X

I think this Vet2 with 550mm CZ barrel outshoots even my RTI P1 with LR barrel with the MRDs - just incredible at 40 yards with it. At 860 fps MRDs seem to not move much in the wind .

Thats 198 40-Masters @42 ft/lbs - Wow. Love everything about this Vet 2 - made like a Grand Seiko watch - jewel quality.

IMG_5119.jpeg

IMG_5114.jpeg

IMG_5120.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg

Leaderboard Submission:
40-Yard-Masters
198 14X
.22 Taipan Veteran 2
FX 25.4g @860-865fps
Sightron SIII ED 45X

I think this Vet2 with 550mm CZ barrel outshoots even my RTI P1 with LR barrel with the MRDs - just incredible at 40 yards with it. At 860 fps MRDs seem to not move much in the wind .

Thats 198 40-Masters @42 ft/lbs - Wow. Love everything about this Vet 2 - made like a Grand Seiko watch - jewel quality.

View attachment 484480

View attachment 484481

View attachment 484482

View attachment 484483

It used to be that we seldom saw any 40y Challenge or Masters cards being shot. Now shooters are posting amazingly high scores at 40 yards, and we kept the same ring sizes.

Incredible shooting outside!

First card @55~ yards
I’m preparing for a WRABF BR50 meter competition next week and I might use my Maverick if it performs better. More tuning is needed.

Score: 185/200 4X

Video:

View attachment 484296

Awesome card at 55 yards Ricky. You may need more scope magnification at 55!

Interesting that you mounted the card sideways, less up-n-down resighting that way - I’m going to try it.

Do you think a heavier pellet would be beneficial at 55 yards - or will you stay with 18.13 as you tune for 50?

It used to be that we seldom saw any 40y Challenge or Masters cards being shot. Now shooters are posting amazingly high scores at 40 yards, and we kept the same ring sizes.

Incredible shooting outside!

Hi Tommy - Thoughts on 40 scores improving:

We only started doing 40-Challenge and 40-Masters in the last half of 2023.
As shooters are now gaining experience at 40 yards, they are tuning their rifles for that distance.

If you scan our leaderboards, I believe that the 18.13g is the most common pellet. I am guilty of tuning many of my rifles for the 18.13g JSB/FX pellet – because it is perhaps the best all-around pellet JSB has offered. I’ve had success with it at velocities from 700 to 1,025 fps. In the case of my Taipan Veteran, as soon as I tried the 25.39g pellet at 40 yards, I was beating my 18.13 results with that rifle.

It would seem that a good 30 yard tune would also be good at 40 yards, but optimizing for 40 might require some tweaks – or even a different pellet.

I note that Ricky (Airgunnero) is a competition shooter that posts very high 190 scores at 40 yards. He recently was shooting our target at 50 and 55 yards to get ready for an upcoming 50 yard competition. He shot a 185/4X at 55 yards (Wow!!) with his FX Maverick using the 18.13g at 960fps. He then said “more tuning is needed”. So he plans to tweak his great 40 yard Maverick tune to perform at 50 yards.

I think benchrest target shooters almost REQUIRE rifles with adjustability – ideally external adjustability to make it easy to tune. Hunters may prefer rifles like a Daystate Huntsman that come with a good factory tune – that you don’t adjust (easily).

So a 10 yard increase seems to be a significant change for ultimate accuracy with an air rifle.

Hi Tommy - Thoughts on 40 scores improving:

We only started doing 40-Challenge and 40-Masters in the last half of 2023.
As shooters are now gaining experience at 40 yards, they are tuning their rifles for that distance.

If you scan our leaderboards, I believe that the 18.13g is the most common pellet. I am guilty of tuning many of my rifles for the 18.13g JSB/FX pellet – because it is perhaps the best all-around pellet JSB has offered. I’ve had success with it at velocities from 700 to 1,025 fps. In the case of my Taipan Veteran, as soon as I tried the 25.39g pellet at 40 yards, I was beating my 18.13 results with that rifle.

It would seem that a good 30 yard tune would also be good at 40 yards, but optimizing for 40 might require some tweaks – or even a different pellet.

I note that Ricky (Airgunnero) is a competition shooter that posts very high 190 scores at 40 yards. He recently was shooting our target at 50 and 55 yards to get ready for an upcoming 50 yard competition. He shot a 185/4X at 55 yards (Wow!!) with his FX Maverick using the 18.13g at 960fps. He then said “more tuning is needed”. So he plans to tweak his great 40 yard Maverick tune to perform at 50 yards.

I think benchrest target shooters almost REQUIRE rifles with adjustability – ideally external adjustability to make it easy to tune. Hunters may prefer rifles like a Daystate Huntsman that come with a good factory tune – that you don’t adjust (easily).

So a 10 yard increase seems to be a significant change for ultimate accuracy with an air rifle.

Can’t even imagine shooting these tiny bulls at 50Y. For me, the targets would look like a shot gun / scatter gun of pellet holes with lots of 6’s, 7’s and 8’s. 😀😀😀

I shoot a lot of N50 targets with my current 30y & 40y target challenge air rifles, with much more forgiving larger ring sizes, and even getting a score north of mid 240’s represents excellent accuracy.

I do think ( but can’t prove by my attempts or scores) that heavier pellets with a bit more velocity improve your odds at 40y. For me personally, there is a pretty significant wind reading ability/skill required for 40y accuracy, to achieve 190++ scores.

Reactions: TheAirgunnero